Member of the Week- Week 64
  • [center:249b906fb1]image[/center:249b906fb1]

What is Member of the Week?
    The member of the week contest is used to highlight those members who have clearly went above and beyond in their contributions to the NooBTooB Community

Here are the nominees for Member of the Week- Week 64:

Spike941 - For his thread on (PS3) Uncharted 2: Noobs of Plunder .

Crimson- "This is another event that you have hosted out of the countless others you have hosted in the past week. All for the Ps3! Excellent work showing the Ps3 some love on the event side of things, and this nomination is for your continued effort in bringing the NoobToob community closer. Very well done! "

hedge45 – For his review on hedge45 Thumbs Up From Me

Crimson- "Like always, your songs never cease to amaze me! This was some more quality work, and I really like how you offer the mp3 format to go along with the video, it really makes it nice when I want to listen to it on the go. Great work! "

Karnage – For his review on (PS3) Uncharted 2 - Single Player Review.

Crimson- "Awesome work on the review, Karnage. I thought it was nice how it was more bit-size and you only covered on major aspect of the game, so those interested only in that particular point can just focus on the single player, in this instance. Very well done!"

Manio - For his thread on A Gamers Nightmare Episode 13 - Chicken Cannon

Crimson- "Although the podcast needs a bit of tweaking with the audio and what-not, this was still really well done, and I hope you continue doing these in the future. I enjoyed hearing your views on what you've been playing and your opinion on the news, excellent work!"

Elmano- For his review on (Multi) Brutal Legend Video review.

Crimson-"Your video reviews are always amazing! You know how to do a review, and do it right. This should be an example for all other video reviewers out there that are looking to review games in a nice way. You covered everything about the game, matched up what you were talking about with what was described, and did it under a nice time limit. Great work!."

Rules:

Voting will close on Sunday, so Tobin and Yuzo can announce the winner when they record on Monday.

Please PM me the details on who you chose to nominate. No longer post it in this thread.

No Mods or Admins can be nominated for the award, unless under special circumstances . Sorry guys, but we know what great contributors you are to the community already, and I want to shift the spotlight onto members who may be less well known.

Your only looking for threads or posts which were posted in the previous week (give or take), when nominating from the time of this post.

Please leave an explanation on why you thought a member deserved a nomination.

Remember: Leave feedback telling who you voted for and what your reason was for voting. It's nice to see other people's opinions on these sorts of things. But make sure you are not flaming anybody, but only telling them what a good job they did. Constructive criticism is allowed, however.
  • Member of the Week has been on hiatus for a couple of weeks, but it's back now and in full force! I'm still trying to work out a system that works for everyone, but for now I think Member of the Week still needs to continue on until the end of the year, so Member of the Year can still go on according to plan.

However, a new rule is going to go in effect for reasons that I will explain after saying the rule. This rule will be posted in the main thread from now on, but I decided to post it in it's own post just to make sure it was seen for the first time.

-No noobies will be given out for the winner of Member of the Week:

This rule has been added for a couple of reasons. One being that, by giving out noobies for every winner, I, personally, can't give out noobies how I would like throughout the week. If I give out a noobie to someone, and then they turn around and win MOTW, the system doesn't let me give them another noobie for the same reason.

Also, the noobies shouldn't be your motivation to win MOTW. Your motivation should be your love for the community and your willingness to see it succeed. By creating events, making reviews, creating UGC, you are already receiving noobies from fellow members on the site, and possibly me already, so an expected noobie from winning the contest isn't going to be that beneficial of a reward.

With that said, I will try to come up with a different idea for what we can do for the winners each week, because I understand that everyone likes a little something extra for winning the contest, I just don't think that I noobie is that something extra. This new system will go into effect at the start of the new year.

Post in the thread your thoughts about the new rule, and if you have any ideas for the contest just pm them to me and I'll get back to you. Constructive criticism is always welcomed! Along with that, nominees are always appreciated as well. This is supposed to be a contest run by the community, not just by me, so nominees shouldn't just be chosen by me alone. I need you guys to step up to the plate and nominate people that you see fit to win the contest! You can submit nominations through pm, or in the thread, either way would be fine.
  • I am giving this one to Manio. He tries to polish his show by listening to the criticism. Not perfect yet, but it is improving.
  • Crimson said:
    With that said, I will try to come up with a different idea for what we can do for the winners each week, because I understand that everyone likes a little something extra for winning the contest, I just don't think that I noobie is that something extra. This new system will go into effect at the start of the new year.

Me personally prefer the old way of MOTW. Reason being is because whats the point in having MOTW when you don't reward them with a Noobie. I know a Noobie shouldn't be our reason for creating awesome Content(reviews, UGC, events, etc) but then again what should be our motivation. I mean Tobin and Yuzo stop announcing MOTW a long time ago so that's not our motivation and currently the way I see it winning MOTW along with a Noobie is a great motivation to keep producing awesome stuff. I dunno if this all makes sense but that's just the way I feel about it.

Hope you find a solution to your MOTW

And my vote goes for Spike for putting together an Epic Event and bringing the NT'ers together. Love it when Events end up being Epic and Fun for everyone and people meet new and awesome peeps. :P
  • Mine goes to Karnage. I'm always liking a good review :)
  • Crimson, as you are the one who will actually DO MotW, I support whatever decision you make.

I hear clearly that giving a Noobie for MotW inhibits your ability to give Noobies as you'd normally like to.

I personally think that little banner above the shoutbox could be better used for MotW - ie "This weeks MotW is... KDUBZ!!!"

Or whack another little banner below the existing one.

And that's it - no games, no prizes, just recognition within our little community.

Any system that results in a little recognition (and is EASY for you to implement, most importantly) gets my vote, but I'll back up whatever decision you make Crimson.

BiB
  • CapnRedChops said:
    Crimson, as you are the one who will actually DO MotW, I support whatever decision you make.

I hear clearly that giving a Noobie for MotW inhibits your ability to give Noobies as you'd normally like to.

I personally think that little banner above the shoutbox could be better used for MotW - ie "This weeks MotW is... KDUBZ!!!"

Or whack another little banner below the existing one.

And that's it - no games, no prizes, just recognition within our little community.

Any system that results in a little recognition (and is EASY for you to implement, most importantly) gets my vote, but I'll back up whatever decision you make Crimson.

BiB

Solid Points there CRC. I agree with you. Also I too will support whatever you do Mr. Crimson
  • First off I will like to say that whatever you decide to do Crimson I will support your decision.

I really like CapnRedChops' idea of having a banner above the shoutbox stating who's the current member of the week.
  • I love that idea too. We shall follow you till the end, Crimson. Cheesy, I know.
  • Crimson, is there a big issue with giving out multiple noobies to folks? I'm a bit confused at what you're trying to avoid. We have noobie abuse rules for specific cases and listed out scenarios that most abusers typically use to mess with the system. Something like MoTW is really good for the community and winning a noobie is part of it so it'd be too bad to alter it like this if it's due to some administrative oversight.

Also, I know we've been unable to feature a lot of community specific things on the show due to time constraints and general viewership issues (basically 75% of the viewers all stopped watching the video when the community section came on), but I would like to start using some of our other properties like the NTA channel, @noobtoob twitter feed, etc. to be able to recognize folks. Hopefully will be able to start working on this early next year as we have some big stuff going on right now.

Thanks again for hosting this each week!

Yw
  • I can see where your coming from with not wanting to show favoritism or breaking any rules when it comes to giving out noobies.

With MotW not being featured on the main podcast anymore and The Noob O'Clock News not currently going on people seem to feel less special about winning. Of course nobody should ever do stuff just to win.. winning is more of a giant noobie of thanks and I hope something can be done to show off the winners..

If you would feel better with having someone else give out the winning noobies I'd be more then happy too. I'm sure a lot of people would be happy to help with and promote this long running tradition.

It's late so I'll vote tomorrow after I get a chance to look at all the posts.
  • I really like CRC's idea of a banner showcasing the MotW. I do think, however, that a noobie should be part of the award for winning MotW. I don't think that our members host events or start forum topics with the midset of getting their noobie counters up, and besides, noobies are supposed to be an award and recognition for contributing to the community. But whatever the final decision, I support it.

Anyways, I went with Karnage this week.
  • yuzo said:
    Crimson, is there a big issue with giving out multiple noobies to folks? I'm a bit confused at what you're trying to avoid. We have noobie abuse rules for specific cases and listed out scenarios that most abusers typically use to mess with the system. Something like MoTW is really good for the community and winning a noobie is part of it so it'd be too bad to alter it like this if it's due to some administrative oversight.

It wasn't really a big issue about giving out the multiple noobies, rather than a personal issue. I felt like I couldn't give members their deserved noobies, from me, because then if they won MOTW it wouldn't let me give them a noobie for the same reason because I had already done so previously. I could always give them a noobie for a different post, so if you guys want the noobie award given back just say the word. However, after talking to people in IRC the general consensus was that we should do away with the noobie prize and think of something more fulfilling to give the winners. In the end, the contest is for you guys, so whatever you want to happen with it, will happen. The only hard thing is is pleasing everyone in the community with the decisions that are made. Half want MOTM, half want MOTW. Half want a reward for winning, the other half think that winning should be the prize within itself.

I think the banner idea would be a great to show off the MOTW. I'm not sure how easy it would be to implement this idea, but a small thing right above the shoutbox and right under the event banner, could be a real nice addition. It could maybe even have there name with a small representation of their avatar to identify the winner. I'd be willing to update it each week if someone were to show me how to do so, or if an admin were up to the task that could work too.
  • I really like the way of noobies, but I also think the banner is a very cool idea. Whichever you go with, I'll support.
  • Oh wow I got nominated? Thanks you very much for the recognition guys. It really brings a smile to my face :)
  • Three-way tie? Weird.
  • Manio said:
    Three-way tie? Weird.

That is weird. Almost makes it better that the no noobie rule is in effect right now, otherwise all three of you would be getting noobies this week instead of the usual one. Congratulations to all the winners this week, nonetheless. You all deserved the win!!

This weeks Member of the Week will be up soon. I just have a few things I have to take care of first, then I'll post it up.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Most Popular This Week