HD movies on my ps3!
  • hey i just got a new 37" hd tv and realy wana start watchn movies on that instead of my laptop. the problem is whenever i download a movie in hd, my ps3 can't read it off my external hard drive. it works for normal dvd rips tho. i know this has to do with file types but i have no clue on where to find full hd files tht the ps3 can read. i also have this problem with the anime i download as i can never gt them 2 work on my ps3. any advice would would realy be appreciated. thanx!
  • OK sadly .mkv files dont work on there(aint it a bitch). But anyway the sure fire way is to convert the files to mp4(fyi mp4 > avi) & i kno theres a lot of stuff you can find on the net for converters so hope i help a lil bit.
  • If your laptop is reasonably modern it could have a VGA or HDMI port out. For VGA they cna be converted to component or HDMI to play on a TV screen and that will be an easy way to do it since you can simply play them on the laptop anyway.

From the PS3 website.

* Memory Stick Video Format
    * - MPEG-4 SP (AAC LC)
    * - H.264/MPEG-4 AVC High Profile (AAC LC)
    * - MPEG-2 TS(H.264/MPEG-4 AVC, AAC LC)
    * MP4 file format
    * - H.264/MPEG-4 AVC High Profile (AAC LC)
    * MPEG-1 (MPEG Audio Layer 2)
    * MPEG-2 PS (MPEG2 Audio Layer 2, AAC LC, AC3(Dolby Digital), LPCM)
    * MPEG-2 TS(MPEG2 Audio Layer 2, AC3(Dolby Digital), AAC LC)
    * MPEG-2 TS(H.264/MPEG-4 AVC, AAC LC)
    * AVI
    * - Motion JPEG (Linear PCM)
    * - Motion JPEG (μ-Law)
    * AVCHD (.m2ts / .mts)
    * DivX
    * WMV
    * - VC-1(WMA Standard V2)

Now for .avi files they can be encoded in many ways, i believe normal rip AVIs and windows formats will work since they are popular codecs. MP4 is a horrific codec since it also has many different encoders,

You'll have to convert from .avi to h264 MP4 unfortunately and that will mean you will lose some quality from the MP4 format. I believe AVS converter provides this function. You may also wish to get the CCCP codec pack or the K-lite codec pack so that you have all the popular codecs.
  • mathustyle03 said:
    hey i just got a new 37" hd tv and realy wana start watchn movies on that instead of my laptop. the problem is whenever i download a movie in hd, my ps3 can't read it off my external hard drive. it works for normal dvd rips tho. i know this has to do with file types but i have no clue on where to find full hd files tht the ps3 can read. i also have this problem with the anime i download as i can never gt them 2 work on my ps3. any advice would would realy be appreciated. thanx!

Hey guys there:
    Because PS3 can not read HD videos, you need converting HD videos to MP4 or MPEG before uploading hd videos to PS3. Actually it is easy if you use a HD Video Converter. I know that Pavtube HD Video Converter I've been using can definitely help you to convert HD files to MP4 or other format compatible with your PS3. The reason I recommend you this HD video converter is that it can ensure output video and audio match without any loss or stutter. Moreover, it is very easy to use and runs very fast.

All the best!
    Laura Johnson :D
  • For files that are of mkv format, download 'mkv2vob'. Pretty straightforward program, pick your audio language, subtitle language, conversion method and let it do its thing.
  • How about u stream them to your ps3, if you do that ur ps3 can read almost any fileformat (lncluding mkv). I personally use

http://code.google.com/p/ps3mediaserver/downloads/list

You just install it onto you computer and make sure media servers are available on ur ps3. After that is done, you can watch anything on your computer. I use this all the time to watch all my MKV files on my ps3 and it works great!
  • my toshiba TV has a monitor input, check your TV
  • Chook said:
    How about u stream them to your ps3, if you do that ur ps3 can read almost any fileformat (lncluding mkv). I personally use

http://code.google.com/p/ps3mediaserver/downloads/list

You just install it onto you computer and make sure media servers are available on ur ps3. After that is done, you can watch anything on your computer. I use this all the time to watch all my MKV files on my ps3 and it works great!
    you know what after playing with this i'm gonna second this after converters only because i have a pos comp & its really shitty with it
  • If you want to play HD videos on PS3, you need to know what format the video is in, for that PS3 well compatible with AVI and MP4. If the video is not in the proper format supported by PS3, it's not possible to play on the device. You can use Video Converter software to do video conversion to tackle the incompatibility problem. 

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Most Popular This Week