State of Noobtoob Address by Sunny
  • Hi everyone, all of you Noobtoob members who have taken the time to come to our site, our forums, register, and be a part of this. I'm Sunflower, the Community Director. You may be new to the site, and wonder what you're signing up for! Well, some people are content to just make quip after quip, small comments on every bit of news. That's not good enough for me, though.

It's no secret we've become stagnant lately. PAX weighed heavily on many of our brains, and we all dealt with a ton of stress having it happen. Hey, these things happen. PAX is now over, though, and I feel we need some REAL invigoration.

Noobtoob is about connecting gamers. Yes, YOU. You're obviously a gamer if you come here. You certainly have something to say here. You've got opinions, and we want to hear them. You play games! You love playing games. So what are we doing here?

Connecting gamers! Again, the same phrase - what does it all mean? Everyone's got their own interpretation of it. For some, it means making a couple new friends, and gaming with them. That's all well and good - having your own set of friends is great. But let's broaden that. Too many of us just game with our friends or random people. Why? Well...people don't like playing with dicks. It sucks. You know this, and I know this, and we all hate dicks. Sometimes we like being a dick, and that's bad form. It happens.

We're all here because we want to discuss and play games without dickery. Dickery that, like it or not, comes with the territory. We don't have to deal with that. So I need some things from all of you. We're going to put work into this site. Into everything here.

If you just read one post during your stay here, I want it to be this one. Let's get connected. We can grow. We can grow FAR larger than we are now. Let's all unite, and properly. Sure, you may love to just game with your friends, but I say let's give EVERYONE a chance. We should be doing that anyway, but we can take it to the next level here. Let's get more events happening with more participation and forge more friendships!

Are you new here? You NEED to visit our IRC chatroom. It's on the right. Seriously, click the tab and come in. Introduce yourself. Make friends with the core users of Noobtoob, and be one yourself! Seriously! Do it. If you've never been in, I understand it might be daunting - it's not! We're all good people, whether or not you catch us on a bad day. We want you in there talking to us, so COME ON IN.

What? You prefer talking to people in Ventrilo? Shit, you should have said something. There's a Ventrilo tab on the right. We've been GIVEN a server because our community is so kickass. USE IT. Make more friends. Hop in some pick-up games. We're friendly. Seriously. And if we're not? Come tell me. I force friendly.

What does his new age mean? I'm tired of being a part of a circle that isn't open. I usually game with my friends, my close friends. I've had enough of that. It's bad for us, and most of us do that. We fill our friend quota and enjoy. I want more. I want us to get connected with each other. I want stories, I want events, I want to be happy when I see my Xbox 360 friend list or my PSN. I need this community to play MORE with each other than we have been.

We've got Events - show up for them! We've got Reviews! Write some! You might think your Typing of the Dead review won't get read - you're wrong! We need to make a stronger effort at Noobtoob and I'm willing to lead the charge!

Let's get invigorated, let's make fantastic content, video or written or audio, and we'll get the good stuff recognized! We're here for all of you, and none of us are members of this site when we don't want to be, so let's get together and get fired up about this site. This is OUR site, Noobtoob.com, and we're ALL members of the Noobtoob Army, so let's all just fucking UNITE and get this community thriving again! Hit me with your friend requests, your game invites, your event ideas, everything!

I'm going to give it my all! Are you? We are capable of great things together as a community, you do NOT want to miss out. We WILL get better than ever. Make the effort. I am.

--Sunny
    PSN: Sunflower4000
    Xbox Live: Sunflower4000
    Wii: Who knows
    Steam ID: I think it's Sunflower4000.
  • nice little intro there sunny boy
  • ninsaru said:
    nice little intro there sunny boy

I'll ignore the "boy" bit. But yes, I suppose it's a good intro for not me, but for Noobtoob.com itself. This IS what we're about. This IS what we do. We do connect people, and we want you to get more involved. I saw your Metric Asston videos. I know you've got drive. What else can you come up with? I want to see, and most people also want to. Let's get inspired and make something of this!
  • Very good post Sunny. I agree :)
  • A wonderful post. :]

And more events for sure! Already being talked about in the IRC. xD
    Even though most are in school, that's no reason for the events to die down. :]
  • I'm in full agreement with everything in this post. I'm fired up and ready to do my part.
  • MissScooter said:
    A wonderful post. :]

And more events for sure! Already being talked about in the IRC. xD
    Even though most are in school, that's no reason for the events to die down. :]

You're totally right - school may be in but that means we need to focus on the WEEKENDS. We've got to make sure our events kick ass, and I know we all can.
  • This deserves a Boo-Ya. With a Yow at the end. In a much louder voice then I can manage at the moment. :D

Nice post. I agree. Let's play Beatles Rock Band.
  • Good points - there is and there isn't a wall between 'new' and 'old' members, we should all do our bit to break that down, even if you have to forgive and forget the odd groundless insult.

Due to my tight schedule, I find A) I'm spending too much time reading and responding to forum posts cos it's easy and quick to in and out, and B) I find myself not gaming, or creating content as much. I wonder if I'm the only one, if not, that might be part of the problem?

International gaming is an issue too. Timezones & tight schedules make it all too hard to be involved in events sometimes.

People are genrally friendly, if I was to try to name all of them I'd certainly miss out a deserving soul or two so let's just say Chip's 'chipperness' exemplifies a large group of very friendly people.

Regardless, personally, I think there is still a wall. Is it because I'm ancient? Is it because I don't play events? Is it the tyranny of distance from the majority of you? Is it because I'm not tech-savvy anymore?
    I can't speak for everyone, but I suspect all new members find there is some sort of wall between new and old members.

Something like PAX for NoobToob is a bit like a Grand Final for a footy club. PAX is as good as it gets, so is a GF. After a GF, some long standing and current champions of the club sometimes all retire together, moving on to new challenges as they have achieved everything they are motivated to do in their current position. As longstanding friends take a lesser role, others who wouldn't have otherwise considered winding back their commitment begin to waiver too.

Now, I'm not saying PAX is the sole cause, because it surely isn't but the effect I think is pretty accurate. When I was president of a footy club, this process used to worry me, especially when it came time for me to stand down.

Over much time and through much experience I came to realise:
    - this process of renewal is normal,
    - that nature abhors a vacuum, so people will rise to fill the vacancies,
    - the people that rise will initially not be as good as those you've lost, but they should get the basics done,
    - this dip in staff quality will usually have a short term effect on performance,
    - as time goes on the new people will either fail and be replaced or have unforseen benefits and be as good or better than those you've lost, in a different way,
    - if no one rises, and the whole organisation falls over, (which regardless of how bad things look, rarely happens) it's better you find this out now than trying to artificially prolong the life of the dead horse you are flogging.

CRC

PSN: CapnRedChops
    Wii friend code: can anyone be bothered?
    I have quite a few multiplayer games on PSN and few people to play with, add me and invite me and I'll try to make it!
  • Sunflower said:
    [quote=ninsaru]nice little intro there sunny boy

I'll ignore the "boy" bit. But yes, I suppose it's a good intro for not me, but for Noobtoob.com itself. This IS what we're about. This IS what we do. We do connect people, and we want you to get more involved. I saw your Metric Asston videos. I know you've got drive. What else can you come up with? I want to see, and most people also want to. Let's get inspired and make something of this![/quote]i meant an intro to the community, but thank you :) when is the metric asston contest finals anyway hmm? ive been waiting centuries for it!
  • I think you could make the point that there is a wall between new and old members, but you could also argue that it is just because a bond hasn't been formed. The people who have connections and game together, is usually because they have been around longer and have invested time into making a friendship that will last.

Of course their isn't going to be an instant bond that forms even after a couple weeks a member joins. After a while if the new member will be more active in the community, chat it up in IRC, or take part in events, then maybe that new member will form bonds of their own.

I think part of the problem is the fact that new members might get brushed aside too easily. I can only speak for myself when saying, that if a new member joins the forum and doesn't make a name for his or herself I might lose interest in what he/she is saying. I hope people don't take offense to me saying that, generally when I browse the forum, I don't tend to look at what some random "Joe Smith" guy says, I read the posts that I care about, and that I respect the opinion of.

Part of the reason I do this is due to the fact of what Sunny already outlined in the OP. you're new here you need to make yourself KNOWN. Write some reviews, host some events, have originality in your posts, do something that makes you stand out from the crowd. By doing this, you not only give yourself a name, but you also might get the chance to form friendships in the process.

In all honesty, why should I subject myself to reading a one liner post, that has no personality and no real point. It might sound harsh in saying this, but if you're post doesn't have some sort of genuine thought put into it, I'm most likely going to skip right over it in my daily checking of the forums.

I think Sunny said it right when he said that we're all gamers and we all need to show what it means to be a gamer by expressing ourselves with our posts, and getting to know each other better on a personal level. It can almost be compare to high school in a sense. If you don't fit in with certain people, then try to get to know some others. This community is big enough now that somebody here will have the same gaming tastes as you, and you will hopefully be able to find people that you can discuss your gaming interests with.

Now, I hope this doesn't just sound like a jumbled mess with no real purpose. But I guess the bottom line is, new people won't always get accepted at first. But as we get to know you on a more personal level (posts, reviews, UGC, events, etc) you'll find this place is fit for gamers of all types.

--Crimson
    PSN: Crimson_92
    Xbox Live: Sometime Soon, I hope.
    Wii: In my profile, can't be bothered to copy and paste.
    Steam ID: Crimson_92
    Twitter: Crimson_92
  • So..........

Videogames?
  • Great post Sunny. I'll admit I'm a recluse when it comes to events/content, I usually do like CRC and just post on the forums. I mean shit, I've been a member for over a year and I can't even remember the last time I played with any NoobToobers. (Playing 10 mins of Castle Crashers with Bravo303 like 4 months ago?) I'm never in IRC, I'm never in Vent, and I think the only time I've ever played with some OG NoobToobers is when I played L4D with quahgg and CoD4 with Smokey and aarondbowen (where is he by the way?) And honestly I can't say I have an excuse. I guess for some reason I felt it was too late. What I can say is that I'll try and get more involved with the community, and more connected with everyone here. Just be gentle, I'm fragile. :P

Add me on XBL or Steam guys, always down for some games (classes can wait :))

XBL: StevenIsDope
    Steam: bongtokage

Cheers.
  • Excellent job Sunny.

You know, I've only been here for about 5 months, but I can honestly say I feel like I'm part of the forum. I've made friends with people like HitokirBoricua, Aristotle007, Crimson, Painter, Lukeninsersfan, Orangeflood, and many other's. How did I do this some may ask, I did exactly what Sunny talked about. I talked in the shoutbox, I tried to express myself as genuinely as possible in my post, I tried to make the most interesting and engaging topics I could to try and bring noobtoobers together in conversation, and most importantly, I participated in events.

What is the lesson, make yourself known, participate, and most importantly, have fun. Like Sunny said, the purpose of Noobtoob is to bring gamers together, in one way or another. We might not get to play together, but we can still converse with eachother, share idea's, stories, and much more.

--laphamking
    PSN: laphamking
    twitter: laphamking
  • Xbox - Dr Flibble
    PSN - Tuna-Breath
    Wii - No idea and hardly play it online anyway

I haven't been able to post much or sit down to write reviews the past few months, but I haven't forgotten my beloved NoobToob community. I have been working on a bunch of reviews here and there (some from the Review Requests thread, others not), and will be back to regular bombarding of the Reviews section hopefully within the next month.

In the meantime, Gears, Halo 3, ODST, Left 4 Dead 2, MW2, Uncharted 2, White Knight Chronicles, etc etc etc sign me up for anything and everything! My list of games is as long as my dick (a hefty serpent indeed as you may well be able to imagine), so add me, invite me, and I'll gladly take a bullet for you, or feed you to the zombies while I leg it to the chopper, depending on how life is treating me that day. 8)
  • awesome post sunflower and i agree with all of that. it does seem intimidating at first to just come in to this community without knowing anything except for the episodes you watch but noobtoob is a place with great ppl and if we can accomplish more than just playing games together that would be an incredible thing

Gamertag - iR3v0luti0n3d
    PSN - Neku054
  • Now that's some enthralling post! Sunflower please don't turn into a dictator or a sect guru, you could be good at it. :P

I'm sure a community with such collaborative and helpful people can achieve great things and I'll be glad to help in whichever manner I can.
    PSN: Neisseren
  • I can comment a bit here;

Sunflower's bit about the IRC is true beyond knowing. The Noobtoob IRC is one of the key reasons many of us are so active and thrive around here. The IRC, in my opinion, is the strongest heart of this community. We have many, if not all, of the mod and admin staff around to answer any questions or problems users face, lots of users, usually more than 30, to meet and game with. Aside from that, we have a plain good time just chatting about random things and getting to know each other.

For all new members, I strongly encourage you to get to know the forums here well. Check out new topics all the time, post and get your name out there if you need a community for gaming. We have a lot of good gamers here and we have this place to grow and connect with each other.

Join the IRC

Fuzzy-
    PSN: Fuzzy_Hero
    XBL: Fuzzy Hero (if possible, specify that you're from NT somehow, my friend's list is getting full)
  • This really spoke to me. The way Sunny describes us is the way I lived my life. Find a few real good close friends and forget the rest, and perhaps that's all I need in my life, but gaming is different. Most games are about the community and NT is a community for all of them rolled into one. It's a place where opinions matter and ideas can be shared. That's what drew me here. It became more about two guys on a podcast the minute I hit register.

Look at Sunny. He's basically top dog around here, yet he spends his time trying to welcome new people. It's admirable and I would gladly slaughter some Locust Horde alongside him any day.

As a new member I do find myself intimidated. Every time I see an interesting post that I want to truly add onto, I find myself questioning myself. When I go into the IRC and no ones talking I hesitate to ask a question. Sometimes I feel like it's all been done and said before, so why bother.

I have been getting into the IRC lately and have played some COD4 events. I even started my own L4D event and met three really cool guys. We play once a week now. With the new games coming up I plan on being in all the MW2, L4D2 and maybe even ODST events. It may take me a minute to open up on the mic but I'm going to keep playing because nothings better than playing with people who want exactly what you want...fun...and achievements.

I got something up my sleeve though. In a few weeks I'm going to be popular as fuck!

GT: LeonJuggaloFPW
    PSN: LeonJuggaloFPW
  • LeonJuggaloFTW said:
    I have been getting into the IRC lately and have played some COD4 events. I even started my own L4D event and met three really cool guys. We play once a week now. With the new games coming up I plan on being in all the MW2, L4D2 and maybe even ODST events. It may take me a minute to open up on the mic but I'm going to keep playing because nothings better than playing with people who want exactly what you want...fun...and achievements.

I got something up my sleeve though. In a few weeks I'm going to be popular as fuck!

THAT is what I'm talkin about! Making new friends. Why limit ourselves to our own circles? Let's branch out. Looking forward to ODSTing with you and many more!
  • LeonJuggaloFTW said:
    This really spoke to me. The way Sunny describes us is the way I lived my life. Find a few real good close friends and forget the rest, and perhaps that's all I need in my life, but gaming is different. Most games are about the community and NT is a community for all of them rolled into one. It's a place where opinions matter and ideas can be shared. That's what drew me here. It became more about two guys on a podcast the minute I hit register.

Look at Sunny. He's basically top dog around here, yet he spends his time trying to welcome new people. It's admirable and I would gladly slaughter some Locust Horde alongside him any day.

As a new member I do find myself intimidated. Every time I see an interesting post that I want to truly add onto, I find myself questioning myself. When I go into the IRC and no ones talking I hesitate to ask a question. Sometimes I feel like it's all been done and said before, so why bother.

Great to see you getting into the IRC Leon. Even if nobody is talking in there you should feel free to say something. A lot of us hang out in there while we're at work so we might just be away from the screen. We also might be just sitting in there while playing a game or we're just waiting for someone to say something and get a conversation going. The IRC is great because its never dead and there is always someone in there willing to chat it up.

Don't worry about talking on the mic while you're gaming. Some of us are quiet while we game, myself included - others do more than enough talking to make up for those that don't. It's all about just meeting people and having a good time.

Looking forward to getting some MW2 in and L4D2 in with you!
  • Yea I don't understand the meaning to this thread. I'm not sure if you're still high off of PAX and seeing your friends that inspired you to write this well thought of thread and i'm pretty sure i'm gonna sound like a Jick for saying all this but bare with me:

Sunflower said:
    Are you new here? You NEED to visit our IRC chatroom. It's on the right. Seriously, click the tab and come in. Introduce yourself. Make friends with the core users of Noobtoob, and be one yourself! Seriously! Do it. If you've never been in, I understand it might be daunting - it's not! We're all good people, whether or not you catch us on a bad day. We want you in there talking to us, so COME ON IN.

You darn right its daunting, most of the people in the IRC are close friends and make it hard or almost meaningless to go there. I mean to this day I've probably been to the IRC like 10 times give or take. Reason being is because I got no one to talk to... maybe thats my fault for not trying to communicate or whatever but again thats my reason. I know of many others you feel the same exact way I do.

Sunflower said:
    We're all here because we want to discuss and play games without dickery.

This is funny only cuz I can name 4 to 5 members that are straight Jick's every time I see them post. And it seems no one care's what they say because they're highly Recognized Members of the community which is bullshit but whatever. And I'm not gonna lie, I've made plenty dickery post or have been dickish to some others here, but do I care... not really, Its not like we are friends or i'm gonna game with them anytime in the near future. And I'm pretty sure a few other people can back me up on this.

Sunflower said:
    Let's all unite, and properly. Sure, you may love to just game with your friends, but I say let's give EVERYONE a chance. We should be doing that anyway, but we can take it to the next level here. Let's get more events happening with more participation and forge more friendships!

I'm tired of being a part of a circle that isn't open. I usually game with my friends, my close friends. I've had enough of that. It's bad for us, and most of us do that. We fill our friend quota and enjoy. I want more. I want us to get connected with each other. I want stories, I want events, I want to be happy when I see my Xbox 360 friend list or my PSN. I need this community to play MORE with each other than we have been.

I doubt this is gonna happen, well at least the way you hope for anyways.Let me use an example: Lets say there is this member with both consoles but he mainly games on his 360. And out of the blue decides to participate in a PS3 event. Sure he has fun and prolly makes a few friends but we will main the 360 more cuz thats where most of his friends are whether that be NT'ers or IRL friends.

I mean I doubt I'll ever play a game with you, Locke, Jam Enslaver or many other highly recognized members of the community. That's not a bad thing you guys are in like a close knit family so I understand. I've met plenty of people here and have grown a tight friendship with them(Shout outs to Luke/Aristotle/Flood/lapham and sometimes barret) so I like I previously said I understand.

Sunflower said:
    We're friendly. Seriously. And if we're not? Come tell me. I force friendly.

.....No comment.....

But again I do not understand the meaning to this thread so please help me to understand. Besides the stuff I wrote above it sounds like you want us to promote this Site, Stay Active and Make new friends outside of our normal guys we game with.
  • HitokiriBoricua said:
    I doubt this is gonna happen, well at least the way you hope for anyways.Let me use an example: Lets say there is this member with both consoles but he mainly games on his 360. And out of the blue decides to participate in a PS3 event. Sure he has fun and prolly makes a few friends but we will main the 360 more cuz thats where most of his friends are whether that be NT'ers or IRL friends.

I see no problem with this scenario. What's wrong with that? Connecting gamers is what we're all about. Any kind, any type. So let's connect.

HitokiriBoricua said:
    I mean I doubt I'll ever play a game with you, Locke, Jam Enslaver or many other highly recognized members of the community. That's not a bad thing you guys are in like a close knit family so I understand. I've met plenty of people here and have grown a tight friendship with them(Shout outs to Luke/Aristotle/Flood/lapham and sometimes barret) so I like I previously said I understand.

And here we get to the point of this. I want to play something with you. Many of us do. This is to encourage us to go out BEYOND our comfortable circle because hell...we'll find good people to play with, and to forge more friendships with.

HitokiriBoricua said:
    But again I do not understand the meaning to this thread so please help me to understand. Besides the stuff I wrote above it sounds like you want us to promote this Site, Stay Active and Make new friends outside of our normal guys we game with.

Correct!
  • I'm excited!

Can't wait to see the IRC double in size. And when work and school leave me the hell alone i'll definitely be putting out more content. Better content. Hopefully i can get some help getting Vegas to work on my computer so i can so more than these simple videos.
  • HELL YEAH!!!!

This thread really inspired me. We , as a community, need to come together. The "core" members need to start reaching out to newer members more, and our newer members need to come out of thier shells a bit and start contributing. Both sides need to start putting more effort towards content for the site. Thats the only way we'll be able to grow and connect with other gamers the right way.

And as always DBAD, In all aspects of the site. Seriously we ALL need to make an effort to try and not offend our own. A rule I say to employees I train is that "before you hit enter, make sure you know what your doing". Seriously, read over your post before you..post. Make sure you haven't inadvertenly offended someone in some way. I know all our personalities might not mix sometimes, but that doesn't mean we can't be respectful in our post. NooBTooB is better than that. DBAD!

I will try and put more effort into contributing to the site, I have to admit I have become stagnant with my Noobtoob Friends. But I plan on hosting some socials of my own, mabe start doing some reviews, and mabe (if i can make it intresting enough) a few "let's plays". I promise I will be doing my part to contribute to the site that has given me such awesome times with great friends.

YOW!
    X-

GT: X D EVAPORATOR
    PSN: (Hope to get one soon)
    Twitter: XXRGXX
  • Sunflower said:
    [quote=HitokiriBoricua]I doubt this is gonna happen, well at least the way you hope for anyways.Let me use an example: Lets say there is this member with both consoles but he mainly games on his 360. And out of the blue decides to participate in a PS3 e[quote=HitokiriBoricua] I mean I doubt I'll ever play a game with you, Locke, Jam Enslaver or many other highly recognized members of the community. That's not a bad thing you guys are in like a close knit family so I understand. I've met plenty of people here and have grown a tight friendship with them(Shout outs to Luke/Aristotle/Flood/lapham and sometimes barret) so I like I previously said I understand.

And here we get to the point of this. I want to play something with you. Many of us do. This is to encourage us to go out BEYOND our comfortable circle because hell...we'll find good people to play with, and to forge more friendships with.

HitokiriBoricua said:

Correct![/quote]

Gosh dammit I cant believe I actually understood the thread and I didn't even realize it :(
    But I dunno I have my doubts however I'll support the cause :P

PSN: BoriquaLegend
    Twitter: BoricuaLegend

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Most Popular This Week