Member of the Month Suggestions
  • A couple of us were discussing the idea in IRC just a bit ago, and I wanted to make a thread to see what the other members of the forum think about the idea.

Basically we were discussing the idea of changing the weekly Member of the Week thread, to a Member of the Month. There are a lot of pros and cons that I was thinking about if we were to make a switch like this, so I wanted to know what you all thought about the idea.

Pros:
    -The Member of the Month would seem more of a prestigious award to win. With each winner they would hold the title for the entire Month until the next winner is chosen.

-The Member of the Year contest at the end of the year would really highlight the best of the best Members on Noobtoob. Because there would be only 12 contestants, the votes would be split, and the most prominent members would really show.

-It would be easier to manage in regards to who should be nominated each month. For example, instead of being nominated for just one review that you wrote for a week, you might be nominated for being dedicated and writing 2 or 3 reviews in a month.

Cons:
    -New members wouldn't be showcased for the little things they do, as often as they are now. This was one of the major reasons AshGooner started the contest, and by changing it to Member of the Month, I have the feeling that only consistent and hardworking members would be nominated.

-The attention of Member of the Month might die down after a while. What I'm saying is, people might care about MOTM when it is first posted, then the attention might die down after a couple of days.

What I'm thinking would be for Member of the Month if it were to happen would be this:

At the start of each month a new thread would be posted, nominating the most contributing members of the forums for that month. Whether it is reviews, events, posts, UGC, all things will be considered, exactly as Member of the Week is now. Voting for the nominees would be held for one week. After the week is up, the Member of the Month would be chosen, and that member would hold the title for the entirety of the month, until the next winner is chosen.

As of now, nothing is going to change with Member of the Week. I don't want anyone to think that just because I'm proposing the idea, I'm trying to drop the project, because I'm not. I love reading all the threads, and picking out what is best, but I just wanted to get your opinion on things before I decided to make any big changes. If you guys think a Member of the Month idea would work better, then post your comments. If you would like the contest to remain unchanged, then post that too!
  • I think both would be better, reward the hardworking and the little things.
  • wouldnt it be better to do member of the week and after all 4 of them are done put all 4 winners together and make that the member of the month. Thats the only way it would work
  • I agree with the others. Supplement MOTW with MOTM if anything.
  • Personally I really love the idea of member of the week and would hate to see it go away and have something that happens less often replace it. Like a few people have commented, adding a member of the month alongside the MOTW would be a nice bump and get a lot of the pros you've listed in your original topic.

I also really like the idea of a member of the year award as well. We're all about positive reinforcement here so any time we can showcase a member of the NTA for the good work they do, we should do it.

The other cool thing about MOTM is that it's almost big enough that we could even post up a 60 second vid showcasing the winner if someone wants to set that up and submit it. Weekly might be a bit much, but monthly seems about the right time frame for those sorts of announcements.

Yw
  • Well from the responses I've gotten so far, and from the poll, it looks like Member of the Week is here to stay. A lot of you brought up good points that I think will come into effect in the future, if I can find a way to implement them correctly.

What I think is going to happen sometime soon, as soon as I can get all the kinks figured out, is do what most of you suggested above. Make a MOTM contest with the weekly winners and put them up for MOTM where that member will then hold the title for the entirety of that month.

I hadn't even thought of doing that until you guys posted it, I was so certain on the fact that it had to be one or the other, and doing it this way might be really good, and still have the same effect. I'll hopefully set up a MOTM for the Month of September, but if not there will definitely be one for October.

Member of the Year last year was successful, with SmokestormX as our winner. However last year I put all the previous winners for each week into a round and had an elimination, until we finally had 3 people left for the final poll. Do you guys think that was too much?

I think I'm leaning more towards having the next four MOTM winners be up for nomination for MOTY, and then I'll go through and choose previous winners, one for each month, and throw them up for nomination as well. This, I think, will make it easier to determine who the true MOTY is, and have a shorter elimination process as well.
  • As a side note, perhaps what I'd suggest for MotM is have a wildcard each month. As you say, sometimes there's people who are worthy of being member of the month through commitment and dedication rather than a singular act, so having the previous members of the week and then one, additional, wildcard entry in the Member of the Month on those criteria would be interesting, I think.
  • Am I going to be the sour grape here?

In my opinion, MOTW has lost itself a bit. It often goes unoticed, people don't post in the topics, not many people vote, it isn't featured on Tobin and Yuzo's main cast anymore. Maybe it has become too ordinary, I'm not sure. In my opinion, the drive for MOTW is almost gone. God bless Crimson for continuing this weekly poll for so long, but I feel that since it isn't featured on the main Noobtoob cast anymore it really isn't a relavant mark anymore.

Also, I don't think the current results of this poll and topic feedback give enough of a warranted decision. Bug some people in the IRC to post here and let us know. Most of them are long-time members.

I know people want MOTW and MOTM, but piling shit on top of dirt wont make it perfect. To me, that seems like it would be too much clutter for the forums to take, and I think less people would care. If we make the award on a monthly basis, I think it would get more attention.
  • Fuzzy said:

In my opinion, MOTW has lost itself a bit. It often goes unoticed, people don't post in the topics, not many people vote, it isn't featured on Tobin and Yuzo's main cast anymore...but I feel that since it isn't featured on the main Noobtoob cast anymore it really isn't a relavant mark anymore.

I know people want MOTW and MOTM, but piling shit on top of dirt wont make it perfect. To me, that seems like it would be too much clutter for the forums to take, and I think less people would care. If we make the award on a monthly basis, I think it would get more attention.

My thoughts exactly! But in a more straightforward kind of way. Like I said before, I don't mind continuing doing the Member of the Week each week, but if it isn't getting enough attention, or is just becoming a routine thing with the same handful of people up for nominees, then I don't see it progressing at all. Part of the reason why MOTW doesn't get mentioned on the show is because I don't send in the winners to Tobin and Yuzo, and I think it might be hard because they are crunched for time as is.

I think in order to have more people follow the MOTW is to shake it up a little bit. I know MOTM isn't as often, but what if prizes were given out? What if a front page feature was the highlight? I think MOTM has more potential, going forward. And if done right, it could be a lot easier to manage then MOTW is.
  • Crimson, you were talking in the IRC yesterday about how some weeks you're struggling to get together a good amount of people to be nominated for the MOTW, and I don't think that's how it really should be. I'm not going to say that being nominated means nothing, because all the nominees do a fantastic job, which is obviously more than I do for the forums, but it just means less when you can get nominated for almost anything during a slow week.
    I think MOTM would even the playing field for one thing, since you'd have to compete for an entire month, there would be no slow week, so it would be more of an honor in that sense,
    It would also be more of an honor because you would have to compete with an entire month of hard work from other members.
    Generally, at this point, with it coming out once a week, I feel like it kind of gets overlooked now, seeing as you see it every week, it's not quite as special.
    I'd hate to get rid of it of course, seeing as it's a great way to showcase people's great work on the site, but if it's overlooked, and there are slow weeks, than it kind of limits what it means to be a MOTW. ):

EDIT: (Started this post before I saw yours)

I think if you were able to get more recognition for MOTW through things like that, (putting it on the front page, maybe a small reward for MOTM), then maybe it would help to get people more interested and more involved in it again. Which would be a huge plus. That makes me kind of torn between staying with MOTW and switching to MOTM now. xD
    It still seems like there would be slow weeks though and some small problems with it. :S
    For sure though, it should be mentioned on the NoobToob podcast though, whether it's MOTW or MOTM.
  • I don't think it would take much for MOTW to become a bit more popular. I think most winners would be happy with just a brief mention on the show ie "the MOTW this week was..... go and check out what they've contributed to the site on the MOTW thread"

I reckon that'd give a bit more incentive for members to produce better content and will also increase the number of people who actually take any notice of the voting process. At the moment it averages at just short of 30 votes a week, which all things considered, is pretty pitiful. Maybe I'm wrong, but it seems that a little more exposure would be enough incentive to step the whole thing up a notch.
  • hamst3rf1sh said:
    I don't think it would take much for MOTW to become a bit more popular. I think most winners would be happy with just a brief mention on the show ie "the MOTW this week was..... go and check out what they've contributed to the site on the MOTW thread".

That's how things used to be here. Every week Tobin and Yuzo would announce the MOTW winner. Now they don't do that.
  • I think that the contest should be monthly for a few reasons. I'll be honest I don't vote that much, for the simple fact most of the time I go through the nominations, I never really feel like there's anything there I feel needs my vote, that I want to see get recognition. With it being a monthly thing, it would be likely that original and exciting content would arise in a month, and I would feel the need to vote for something I really wanted to see get the recognition.

It would also give people a lot more time to vote, and hopefully more time to get each individual contest hyped a little and make sure people know a new contest is up and to vote. At the same time it would make winning the contest that much more special as people would be contending against much fresher content, which would make it much harder to get and much more of a rare achievement. It would just give the whole award much more merit then It has now.
  • I personaly love MOTW granted it dosen't receve as much attention as it deserves as hamster stated above the MOTW poll only brings in about 30 votes. It would be nice if the maincast gave a quick shoutout I mean they anouce the SHOOP contest and if it's that much trouble maybe the modcast could mention it although I think it could be advertised a teeny bit beter although I'm not quite sure how. As said before and I believe you have the MOTM sorted out and yes I like the wild card idea it should be whoever you think deserved it. Even this thread has more posts than this weeks MOTW and frankly that's a bit sad. It seams that people will stand up for MOTW but won't vote every week or maybe they won't post their vote.
  • I think this is a bad idea changing it since honestly it will take away the only point member of the week ever had and that is to show off new members not the same guys over and over which I fear would happen if we limited it to month honestly we have a enough good posts and content for this to keep going it. I would say keep member of the week or just stop the whole thing entirely since it would be pointless.
  • While we do appreciate all of the effort done on the part of forum members, there does seem to be a greater sense of entitlement to time on the show that wasn't around before. We have hard data that viewership drops over 50% when we entered the community section so we dropped it and the viewership stats stabilized. We still have openings for forum produced content advertising forum events in the form of 60 second videos, but I honestly can't recall the last time we've received one for episodes.

For the show, our #1 focus is to remain entertaining and increase viewership so that we can attract more folks to the forums so they all can play together. The forums serve as a place for viewers to come and talk about games. The worst thing we can do is shift the show so it focuses on the community which over 75% of the viewers couldn't care less about. Instead, we'd rather offer time to show compelling videos from forum members advertising events and contests so that it's more of a "pull" than a "push".

Being part of the forums, being a mod, winning member of the week. All of these should be ends in and of themselves and not done in order to get mentioned on the show.

Yw
  • yuzo said:

(snip)
    Being part of the forums, being a mod, winning member of the week. All of these should be ends in and of themselves and not done in order to get mentioned on the show.

Totally agree. We're all here because we love the show...don't change the show because we're here.

Though if people still want time on YouTube, there is that awesome NooBTooB User Generated Content channel... :wink:
  • I'm not really that bothered either way. I like being a part of the community regardless of the show. If viewership of the show falls because of you doing too much community stuff then I completely understand the decision to cut it.

Maybe MOTM would be better, I don't know. MOTW isn't really doing a good job of showcasing users anyway it seems, so monthly nominations may work better. It just seems a shame that it's not working as it is. Whatever happens, the whole thing needs shaking up a bit.
  • Better yet, make MOTW or MOTM into a video series. Have the winners record themselves accepting the prize and edit it down to 60 seconds. If it's compelling enough, we'll totally play it on the show.

I want to make sure we stress that we'd _love_ to see more video content from the community to play on the show. The requirements are 60 seconds maximum length and it's gotta pop enough to interest viewers. We've found that weeks when we have content like this, referral links from Youtube to the forums has a huge jump, and we get a ton of new members. The last big one I can remember was from Fuzzy and it got a great response.. sadly that was a looong time ago.

Right now it seems like most people are demanding that we go through and read off names of things that people have done in the community in order to give them "recognition". I'm hopeful that people can be a bit more creative on how to give that sort of recognition that it also excites the general audience enough to come over and see what all the fuss is about.

Yw
  • yuzo said:
    Better yet, make MOTW or MOTM into a video series. Have the winners record themselves accepting the prize and edit it down to 60 seconds. If it's compelling enough, we'll totally play it on the show.

I want to make sure we stress that we'd _love_ to see more video content from the community to play on the show. The requirements are 60 seconds maximum length and it's gotta pop enough to interest viewers. We've found that weeks when we have content like this, referral links from Youtube to the forums has a huge jump, and we get a ton of new members. The last big one I can remember was from Fuzzy and it got a great response.. sadly that was a looong time ago.

Right now it seems like most people are demanding that we go through and read off names of things that people have done in the community in order to give them "recognition". I'm hopeful that people can be a bit more creative on how to give that sort of recognition that it also excites the general audience enough to come over and see what all the fuss is about.

Yw

Your idea is good, but the plausibilty is really tough. Aside from the fact that many users are nominated and win the award without even knowing about it, many don't have propper equipment to make videos, some don't even have cameras. That, along with needing a proper time frame to have them record the video, then transfer it to an editor for them to modify, then have that person upload it and submit it to you guys, Tobin and Yuzo. Frankly, the idea MIGHT work for 1-2 weeks, but it doesn't seem like the great solution in reviving. MOTW is dying, that's why it's in question here, and I'm not sure that throwing more work at it will help revive it, especially when the same method used to work anyway.

The video for the Burnout Paradise event I made for the Noobtoob main podcast took about 4 hours to make, plus it used copywritten music, which isn't possible now. Making a 60-second video is tough work and right now there arent enough users with the free time to do it. You could probably get a core group established soley for making UGC/Event comercials, like the Content Team, but you'd need maybe 10-15 users working solid on that alone to keep up. Every user has school, a job, or college work, personal life obligations, etc. That on top of the fact that nobody is getting paid makes it really tough for anyone to get a steady stream of vids going to the Noobtoob main podcast. Looking at this idea, having a 60 second video made every every week for MOTW would be impossible, especially if you want to keep it interesting. A MOTM seems more possible for a video project, just make sure that someone is in charge, ready, and prepared to work with the MOTM winner to make a video.

As for 'demanding recognition,' I don't think it's as simple as "users demanding to have their names heard on the show," but more or less that the community, this forum, is looking for a simple note of recognition.

Most of us are here because of the Noobtoob main podcast. It holds a special standard of respect for a lot of us because of all of the neat and awesome things that Tobin and Yuzo [you] have done. I think that many users here in the community feel connected to Tobin and Yuzo since this is their forum, and the users are here because of Tobin and Yuzo. These users are the ones making posts, stimulating discussion, donating to the site, chatting in the IRC, hosting events, buying t-shirts, etc. In a sense, I think many users like and hope to hear their name on the maincast not just for themselves, but also for the fact that they can know that "Tobin and Yuzo care about what I did." Users are looking for recognition, but due to the complexity of everything around here, proper recognition doesn't really flow that well. There is no universal place for a large group of members to get information around here...except for on the Noobtoob Main pocast that Tobin and Yuzo do.

Building off that, and a bit of clarification; there is no real universal place that every user sees things. Posting the award winners in Site Discussion and in the shoutbox currently doesn't stimulate the care for the award; shoutbox posts get drowned out by other posts and Site Discussion traffic is often very low. Many time users are nominated for MOTW and they aren't even aware, heck, many win the award and aren't even aware they were nominated until they get their +1 Noobie for it. With this in mind, this is why the MOTW is basically...losing its legs. It's no longer important to the community like it used to, and that's why this topic is in question. This award used to be a lot more recognized and cared about back when it was early starting, including when Tobin and Yuzo recognized the winners.

I believe that MOTW, the award itself, connects the Noobtoob main podcast to this forum community. When you [Tobin and Yuzo] announce to everyone who won MOTW, it's like saying "Hey, this is just one of many awesome members from our awesome forums." It lets everyone know that you, Tobin and Yuzo, care about the forums that were built around the Noobtoob main podcast. Without that notice, without that feeling that's left with the users of the forums here, we just feel tacked on, unimportant, not cared about.

If that's the way you want to run this place, that's fine, but soon you'll be finding users in the community who don't even watch the Noobtoob main podcast. For some, this is true already and you may even find users saying "Why should I watch when Tobin and Yuzo don't even care about us here in the forums?" In the long run, you may see this forum becoming a place where "awesome users congregate to talk and game together...and 2 guys show up for 5 minutes a week, post a 60-minute youtube video, and leave."

yuzo said:
    Better yet, make MOTW or MOTM into a video series. Have the winners record themselves accepting the prize and edit it down to 60 seconds. If it's compelling enough, we'll totally play it on the show.

To be honest, when I see statements like that, it stings. Video editing takes a long time to do, and then if we/a user does all that work and it's not 'compelling' enough then all that is going to waste? To me, your statement is telling me "If my video isn't good enough, the hours I spent on it have gone to waste." As a video editor, personally, that's not a good way to encourage and muster support for this already-dying cause.

I know this whole post seems very dramatic, but I believe that without a connection to the community, like MOTW, things may unravel in NT-community relations from there; and I am pretty sure nobody wants that to happen.

As for my post, for those who haven't figured it out, I am still in support of MOTW ending, and MOTM beginning.
  • I rarely agree with you these days Fuzzy but I found myself nodding along here.

I too think it's a bit unrealistic to expect weekly videos.

Keeping in mind the maincast is Tobin & Yuzo's to do what they like with, I don't see why saying:
    "Check out our forums at www.noobtoob.com , member of the week this week is Crimson92 for his review of Underwater Jelly Wrestling II: The Wobbling, so check that out while you're there. Moving on..."
    ... is going to chew up more than 15 seconds.

CRC
  • As being nominated for the first time because i have done done something in the community that someone or some people appreciate gives me a real sense of achievement and makes me want to continue posting up reviews, and replies to all the questions that are asked in the forums. i see the MOTW as moral boost for all the new members who have joined the forums who are in two minds to start posting up their material that they have or ideas for the community. Changing the MOTW to MOTM changes this whole aspect of this. 90% of the the big shots in the forums will be the ones who are nominated because they are more settled in the community and understand that people will accept their ideas and comments. in saying this, there is also a flaw in the system of MOTW and MOTM, but it is manly MOTM which is what happens to all the good posts that happen in the middle of the month if the nominees have already been chosen?

What my suggestion is that like the all the adds on the main page and the community page you have a link to the MOTW topic and like Crimson has already done post up all the nominees work and so forth. You could maybe add a new button that says place nomination for this topic. This would increase nominations and recognition but will have to be monitored in like states graph like how many people nominated for this topic .

MOTM is a good idea but the popularity would die down soon enough like MOTW and how, if the popularity MOTW is low, are you going to increase this so that everyone knows about MOTM?

Fuzzy, your ideas are good but before we as a community try to introduce something new we must try and bring back the old so that the new well work. if MOTW is falling through then MOTM will also fall through as well.

-iiGHO5T
  • I personally like the idea of having both. Now there will be TWO contests I'll get nominated for and no one will vote for me! :( (Yes, this really happened. Twice)

Seriously, though. MOTM is a great idea... but the video idea is somewhat unrealistic.
  • I'm on the fence with this idea. It does reward hard work and older members but what if some who does great threads etc.. or at least makes great post but his connection goes out or he doesn't show that often everything he's done won't get recognized and the new members or noobieless members are at a huge disadvantage against the older members.

So I rather have both or stick with member of the week
  • Or we could give noobies for good posts.
  • A couple points to add to this:
    1. Just so you know... not to be mean but... There was once I was nominated as MOTW and I didn't even know! Hard to believe but true... voting was over and I'd been nominated for another MOTW 2 weeks later before I even realized it.... then I was absolutely floored that I'd been nominated not once, but TWICE! Perhaps informing the nominees might be a good way to get conversation going, and get more people into reading the posting, and they in turn encourage others to read it.

2. Advertising strategy. There are ways to publicize the MOTW posting beyond the podcast: use twitter @noobtoob and the You Tube comments to your advantage. Posting in the You Tube comments will also possibly get more ppl to get involved in the forums and that can only mean good things!

3. I personally really like the idea of there being a kind of tiered championship. MOTW's battle to be MOTM, then MOTM's battle to be MOTY. I also love Mag's idea of a wildcard. Like he said, This way people who work hard for the community and may have missed nomination earlier in the month still have a chance to get recognized.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Most Popular This Week