Japan Photo Journal Day 1
  • Hey all, I'm reporting in from my first few days of my Japan trip. I took a bunch of photos of game related items for your enjoyment.

The first stop I visited the famous Hakuhinkan Toy Park in Ginza -- five stories of toys, games, action figures, you name it.

Not surprisingly, all models of the DS lite were sold out.

The reports of the Xbox 360 sucking big time in Japan are all true. Many of the games I saw were marked down from 7000 - 8000 yen ($65-$75) down to 2100 ($20!). It's too bad most japanese xbox games aren't region free or I could get some easy and cheap points on Tobin.. bastards.

Next stop was Akihabara, otherwise known as a gadget geeks paradise. I stopped into Sega GiGo, which is a pretty crazy 6 store arcade right next to the train station. The disturbing sight below greeted me from one of their UFO crane games. Something about feeling up dolls is creepy to me.

They had that crazy card-based, fully networked, rhythm game on the top floor. Didn't seem very popular though, only one guy in the corner was playing.

Then hit up another game store in Akiharabra called Asik Bit (something like that). They had the Tinkle game in prominent display. Is it me or his the guy's beard in the picture too long?

More sold out DS Lite's. Something tells me I should've stocked up on them back in the states and sold them on the street for 2X markup.

SUPER POTATO! This store is amazing. They have pretty much every classic console ever released and billions of cartridges. If you ever go to Japan you _must_ stop here if you're a gamer -- it's a retro geeks wet dream come true.

Ah ROB. So many memories..

I never got to play this when it came out. It gave me a headache about five minutes in.

Man I used to love these things. I still remember the day when an asshole kid stole my donkey kong jr. game and watch when I was elementary school and threw it on the blacktop, breaking it.

Last stop was the Sony Museum/Gallery in Ginza. They had a PS3 on display with Everybody's Golf five as a playable demo!

The experience was unsatisfactory at best. Will talk about it more in the next ep!

• lol. Umm... Oh yeah! Take a photo of the mcdonalds menu please. The toys were so uber leet last time I went.
  • Wow dude, the only controller they had for the PS3 was a weak old PS2 one?

You should have taken a picture of yourself playing the Idol game for hours and hours, like I know you did.

The region locking of Xbox angers me every day that I don't get to import the Convenience Store Simulator. That's something that Microsoft really fucked us on, for no good reason.
  • Super Potato is the bomb =)

The Sixaxis looks just like a PS2 controller cept it has the new logo in the center so I think that is a PS3 controller. Might be wrong though.
  • tobin said:
    Wow dude, the only controller they had for the PS3 was a weak old PS2 one?

Nah, as Jakandan mentioned, the Sixaxis controller looks just like the dual shock with a few minor differences. I'll talk about em when we record our next episode soon.

You should have taken a picture of yourself playing the Idol game for hours and hours, like I know you did.

Dude, those card games are complicated. I haven't gotten up the guts to put my money in yet, but will try and do so next week when I'm back in Ginza. Apparently the new Afterburner just got released here in japan, gonna keep my eyes out for it.
  • Japan is the best. So culturally rich, it just amazes me. I want all the games the japanese get too. I don't care what they are or if they're crap, I'd like the option :D
  • Uh, I got to check those places out personally someday =)
  • japan looks strange, but quite awesome! gotta be on the list of places to go :)
  • hey tobin and yuzo check this out
    http://www.noobtoob.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=185411#185411

I'm the one that sent an email to you guys that the subject was Professor Layton and the Diabolical Box.
  • My computer wont let me see the pics!!!
This discussion has been closed.
All Discussions

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Most Popular This Week