Customer Satisfaction Survey
  • Hi, thanks for taking the time to fill out this NooBTooB Forum survey. If you're the 1 millionth person to fill this out then you have won this fabulous prize!

No, I jest. As an outgoing member of the NoobToob staff I feel that what we really need, at this point, is feedback from the userbase. I joined this site - and it feels so long ago - back in January of last year. Holy hell, a year and a half ago! And almost that time too spent as part of the moderating staff overseeing the community. And a lot has changed in that time, both in ethos and in how we're managing to oversee things. The community has grown and the staff has grown, and we've had to rise in various different ways to meet the challenges that entails.

So what I want to hear from you all is, basically, what you think of how the moderative staff are doing? All opinions are welcome, both from long term users and short term - what we need is a comprehensive review of how we're doing. Putting yourself into a position where you have to represent the interests of those you moderate means we need accountability, and it's been a while since we've really sat down and truly had anything of the sort. So, let's seek it out.

Here's a few questions I'll put to you all just to get the ball rolling, but by all means don't feel constrained to them. Constructive criticism is what we need, so don't hold back, ya hear? :)

i) What do you feel about the state the forums are kept in? Do you feel that we do not moderate aggressively enough, and that posts and topics that should be dealt with are not? Or are we too harsh, and things that should be left alone are instead handled unfairly?

ii) How do you feel about how we respond to and deal with our moderations? Are we too harsh in our punishments, or too soft? The same applies for our manner and behaviour in dealing with the people we moderate. Basically, when we DO choose to act in a situation, do we do it well?

iii) How lenient should we be in allowing response to moderations? As it is, the rule stands that people should not publically ask about moderations. Do you feel this is a good idea, or does it cause people to feel uninformed about their moderations or bannings - especially the latter, when they often lose the ability to make private enquiry. Should we have an open area in which moderators can respond to queries about the moderation process and individual moderations/bannings?

iv) How well do you feel our moderation staff does in quelling trouble and PREVENTING things from occuring as opposed to just moderating it when it does? Keeping tempers in check, preventing people holding grudges against decisions and moderative choices, etc. Essentially, how do you feel we do in keeping the forums in a pleasant tone?

v) Do you feel the moderative staff is 'trustworthy'? If you actively have a complaint, query or issue you need dealt with, do you feel you have a means of bringing it to the attention of the moderative staff and having it dealt with on it's merits? Are we welcoming and tolerant enough to people with genuine queries?

vi) How do you feel about the overall direction the community is moving in? Do you feel that our rules and the way they are enforced encourages positive behaviour whilst adequately curbing the negative? Do you feel there are any ways we could change our behaviour in order to improve the 'standard of life' on the forums?

vii) And finally, your overall thoughts on the forum staff as a whole, and if you like, an appraisal of your choice - thumbs up/down, a numberic rating, or just a snappy summary. Give your opinion on how things are going.

I figure if I'm going to leave a mark on the way this place is run, this should be it. Let's take a step back and appraise ourselves, and ask "are we heading in the right direction?"

If you would prefer to leave comment anonymously, feel free to PM me just like in hp1704, and I'll post the contents of your PM in the thread without names attached.

I like forward to hearing everyone's views on the community. What's important is, as we head into PAX and look towards the bright and shining future of NooBTooB, that we are certain in our aims and all working to the same goal. The community is an ever-malleable, ever-changing beast made up from the ideals of those who contribute to it - an always growing list of new names and faces with each passing moment. Let's decide together how we should go from here, and whether or not we are adequately facing the challenges that lie ahead for us.

It's been a fun one, guys
    - Magenta
  • i) What do you feel about the state the forums are kept in? Do you feel that we do not moderate aggressively enough, and that posts and topics that should be dealt with are not? Or are we too harsh, and things that should be left alone are instead handled unfairly?

Too many retards are allowed to exist. There used to be a time I recall that we demanded intellectual banter on these forums. While the intellect is still there if you look, it is much too often drowned out by the plethora of child like ADD comments that add nothing useful and further sink my opinion of the human race towards "damn us all". Apparently, somewhere in all the being welcoming and friendly we were overcome by the mass amount of stupid people with nothing to say. One could say that we should try to teach them, but really there is just too many.

ii) How do you feel about how we respond to and deal with our moderations? Are we too harsh in our punishments, or too soft? The same applies for our manner and behaviour in dealing with the people we moderate. Basically, when we DO choose to act in a situation, do we do it well?

Too soft. One of my friends site's has a banning game where when someone is about to receive a temp ban the admins make a thread. It remains open for a week and anyone can post in it as much as they want, but is limited to 5 post an hour. At the end of the week, each full page = 1 week of banning. Talk about a serious message of your a douchebag. Imagine getting banned for a year because you pissed people off so much you filled 52 pages of ban requests. Talk about harsh criticism.

Here though, people act like we should wipe their fucking ass and spit shine their asshole after banning them. As if the rules aren't readily available for them, and the disrespect warrants our utmost politeness and sincerity. I can only compare it to getting arrested for something minor, asking the officers to politely explain to you why your being arrested, adjust the cuffs as they are to tight, and really they should let you go
    because you didn't know that stealing was against the law in THAT store.

Seriously people, if your banned; grow up and move on.

iii) How lenient should we be in allowing response to moderations? As it is, the rule stands that people should not publically ask about moderations. Do you feel this is a good idea, or does it cause people to feel uninformed about their moderations or bannings - especially the latter, when they often lose the ability to make private enquiry. Should we have an open area in which moderators can respond to queries about the moderation process and individual moderations/bannings?

Keep it as is. I recall one time I moderated someone with a temp ban, the community thought I should perma ban them. I wrote a nice little response of why he was recieving a temp ban and the reasoning behind it. What I got was fucking hate mail. 8 hours later I took it down and I never cared again what anyone thought when I moderated except the staff. Quite frankly, people who don't moderate think we are dicks, feel we are here to serve them and that in all the glorious benefits we recieve (read, very, very, very little) that somehow we owe them.

Fuck the masses, there a bunch of retards anyways.

iv) How well do you feel our moderation staff does in quelling trouble and PREVENTING things from occuring as opposed to just moderating it when it does? Keeping tempers in check, preventing people holding grudges against decisions and moderative choices, etc. Essentially, how do you feel we do in keeping the forums in a pleasant tone?

Generally pretty good, though at times they miss things which is only human. Grudges can't be prevented. The only thing you can hope for is that the moderators don't use judgement based on their grudges. They tend not to, so all is well there. In fact when someone even feels they might have issue they pass it off to someone else. Again, who the fuck cares what the masses think on this one. They have no fucking clue whats going on anyways.

v) Do you feel the moderative staff is 'trustworthy'? If you actively have a complaint, query or issue you need dealt with, do you feel you have a means of bringing it to the attention of the moderative staff and having it dealt with on it's merits? Are we welcoming and tolerant enough to people with genuine queries?

I would say yes, but you know some douchebag members that don't get their way are going to say no. These are the same people that run straight to Tobin and Yuzo with a problem time and time again. Screw them, they are drama filled children.

Trustworthy? I still have access to moderative abilities. Never once have I used any of them since I stepped away. I don't know how much trustworthy you can be when I technically could delete the entirity of all written words...

Again I am apathetic to what the masses think. They don't really know.

vi) How do you feel about the overall direction the community is moving in? Do you feel that our rules and the way they are enforced encourages positive behaviour whilst adequately curbing the negative? Do you feel there are any ways we could change our behaviour in order to improve the 'standard of life' on the forums?

Ooo! This one I like. Even the mass opinion will be fun to read, though I am sure they want Noobtoob to be nicer. It's like asking someone if they want there governement to treat them better. Of course they do.

That said, I would like to see the site improve. I felt it's been stagnant for a while, but I get why. I know they are working on it and really at the end of the day that is all anyone can really ask for.

We need to ban more people in my opinion.

vii) And finally, your overall thoughts on the forum staff as a whole, and if you like, an appraisal of your choice - thumbs up/down, a numberic rating, or just a snappy summary. Give your opinion on how things are going.

Yeah... I can see this becoming...

I HATE SUNFLOWER.

QUAHGG IS AN ASSHOLE

LOCKE NEVER TALKS TO ME

My rating - 8 out of 10, or grade of B. Well done, but room for improvement. What kind of improvement depends on the moderator. As long as they are open to criticism from a source that has no axe to grind, then all is good.
  • i'm not sure i'm entirely qualified to do this, since i'm only on the IRC, but if you want my opinion you'll have it - just take it with a grain of salt, it's not that qualified.

i) What do you feel about the state the forums are kept in? Do you feel that we do not moderate aggressively enough, and that posts and topics that should be dealt with are not? Or are we too harsh, and things that should be left alone are instead handled unfairly?
    I don't think I can answer this, since the rhetorics are directed towards the forums, but here's my thoughts on the IRC. often times i find that Sunflower is the only reliable active mod, the rest are either not around or don't do their job, Gravehound does when he's around but that's far from always obviously. it'd be nice to either have a second moderator as active as sunflower, since he seems to not be entirely satisfied with being the only one doing it - a feeling i got several times when he had to moderate and in his annoyance ended up insulting everyone on the IRC for wanting him to moderate a spammer or whatever. long story short, i think the IRC should have tighter moderation but i can't say for the forums.

i think WHEN the moderators do their job they do it well, i've never gotten the impression they over- or underreacted in a situation... apart from optimus :D

i get the impression a banned member gets little to no information about his banning other than a little ban message that i wouldn't be surprised if most people miss, i think tsuyoi's idea of a subforum for banned members to ask information - or something similar - would help not only banned members who handle it maturely, but limit the immature banned from whining in the shoutbox or wherever.

i don't think i've ever seen a moderator try to do that, to be honest. i imagine it's more of a behind-the-scenes thing when it comes to the IRC, i'm afraid i wont be able to offer any input on this :(

not at all, i think the mod team has a very "shut up and sit down, we know what we're doing" attitude, and i'd love to see that change.

hm. well like i said, i'd enjoy a more open attitude towards criticism, and i'd love for a more active moderating team on the IRC, other than that i don't really know what to say about this, i suspect this is once again something i'd need to spend more time on the forums to have a qualified opinion on.

no clue, first and only forum ive been on so i dont have a standard for a numeric rating, thumbs up for the hard work they put in, thumbs down for the attitude they have towards regular members, in broad strokes.

hope you can use this

• i) What do you feel about the state the forums are kept in? Do you feel that we do not moderate aggressively enough, and that posts and topics that should be dealt with are not? Or are we too harsh, and things that should be left alone are instead handled unfairly?

On some level I agree with Quahgg, as I remember there being a lot less random threads in the first few months I joined up. However, I'd have to say that I find most of the aforementioned threads in Off-Topic, and stupid talk is bound to be found there in any part of the forums.

I guess it's all about recognising which threads step the line in terms of being too unbelieveably useless, the ones that will just eventually end up in a flame war - something which I think can be done easily on this site, as a lot of members who have been here for a while (around the time there was more intellectual discussion than hurt/heal threads) will often leave posts expressing their negative feeling(s) towards the content of the thread, and I believe their opinions are trustworthy enough to use them as a guideline of sorts.

But, of course, the final decision is up to the specific member of the moderation team, and, although I don't know the whole process that they go through, I can often see that they use good judgement in accordance with what the forum rules state. Which is kind of why I've been pushing the rules when I welcome someone in an introduction, just so they're familiar with what is expected/accepted - but I can't make people walk a path, only show them it.

Overall, I'd have to say it's somewhere in the middle. Although I see that when you do choose to act, you make yourself clearly heard and noticed, but I just don't feel that there's enough "oomph" - shall we say - in what's being done to show that if you overstep the line you will face the consequences.

Also, I'm not sure if this has anything to do with hidden rules and regulations that the moderation team follows, or if there simply isn't enough people available for the job, but I feel that quite often, the wrong issues are being addressed. I'm not saying that whatever is done isn't good, as any problem solved is a problem solved, but I can think of one or two instances where someone was punished quite severely whilst there was trouble brewing in other areas of the site that just wasn't being addressed.

Now of course, it could be that whenever this happens, Moderators have to choose which problem is more demanding of their attention, but when insults start getting thrown around and there isn't anyone with power available to deal with the situation then things just get way out of control, and the pieces have to be picked up a later time.

as a rating, I'd say 6/10 - not because of the way problems are dealt with per say, but because I just don't think all the issues are being addressed, and the cracks are starting to show.

I think it's important for people's opinions to be heard, as there's always two sides to every argument and judgement could possibly change in light of new information, but I still think that publicly, it's not something to be discussed.

The way in which this is dealt is something I think should be decided by more people than the Moderation team, as big decisions and changes that are brought about without people knowing anything can spark controversy, and eventually hate mail (and I'm assuming nobody can be bothered with that?)

So I think either seeing if people would be interested in having that added as a seperate section of the forums, or if more emphasis wants to be put on private enquiry - would be a good idea.

Again, I'd say I was a bit iffy in what I think. As I've stated, I think that when the job gets done it gets done fairly well, but in terms of "preventing" trouble I think more could be done. I guess there's only so far you can go to safeguard against the natural idiocy of people (we all have it) but I often see in threads that people just aren't... aware of how things should be done.

Now this could boil down to two things - whether or not they're too lazy to read the rules/guidelines and try to act cute when they eventually make a mistake, or if they generally didn't know what rules were put in place. ( the latter of course is purely circumstantial depending on the... circumstances :/ )

I feel that although more could be done in terms of making people more aware, fully educating everyone on the site so that everything runs smoothly just isn't going to happen, the site is increasing far too rapidly for this to be possible.

I'm glad to say I've not had any complaints, and the only time I've had to contact a member of the Moderation team is in regards to something I wasn't sure about pertaining thread creation.

This was dealt with swiftly and kindly, so on a personal level, I've got nothing bad to say, however I can see some people just getting really confused without guidance - although these would most likely be younger/newer members.

As a whole, I think in order for the system to truly work there has been to a willingness to participate on both sides. Moderators have to be able to deal with complaints in the way they feel most suitable, and members have to be able to bring things to a Moderators attention if they feel it requires it. So many threads have "this needs to be locked/cleaned" (I'm ashamed to say I've done it myself once) yet I don't think people understand that it simply isn't enough. If you want to give a problem some attention, you're going to have to PM someone, and people need to be aware that currently, it's the standard procedure.

The rules I agree with totally, and in essence they do what Moderators want to be achieved, yet more action needs to be taken I think. I know that stuff's happening and all that, but we haven't had a thread like this - in where the Moderative staff tries to engage with the community - in quite a while. Although I don't think it needs to be as black & white as banning more people, I agree that more stuff needs to happen.

It might sound harsh, but rules are there for a reason. You obey them all through Primary & High School, so why should it be any different when dealing with others over the internet? At the end of the day, they're really just there to enforce common courtesy and the whole DBAD aspect, so if you don't obey/understand them then something's wrong.

as a rating 7/10 but it needs to go deeper than that. Every person in the Moderator/Admin team (although I may not agree with some of the people chosen) is there for a reason, and I trust they are up to doing their job, but I just think more effort needs to be put in by everyone - the staff & members - in order to make this a better place.

I think singling out anyone would be unfair/detrimental to others, so I'll just say that you're all great, and to keep up what is obviously a very stressful job at times.

I'll most likely have other things to say, but I'll let the discussion roll for a little while.

I feel that the forums are kept in a wonderful state. I particularly like how Games Discussion is handled with the one thread per game rule. This is the only forum I've seen it on and I think it works wonderfully. I have no negative feelings to the other boards.

I think the mods deal with moderations the best they can. Something I would like to see is more explanation as to why something a thread is being locked, even if its just a simple wiki quote. Just so the offending member knows for certain what they did wrong.

I don't think moderation responses need to be public, that way it turns into gossip and creates more hassle then needed. Like the iCEMAN incident for example, that was far too public and created a lot of arguments and general negativity on the forums, which also meant that people who backed iCEMAN ended up arguing with members against him which created far too many arguments. It would have been far less hassle and negativity if he had just said goodbye, and slowly disappeared from everyone's mind like a lot of band members. I know iCEMAN would have been a different case though seeing as he was such a high up NTer at the time.

The Mods are very good at preventing flame wars, they also seem to know what members are most likely to start these flame wars. There has been a few times that they have arrived to the scene a little late, but a lot of members don't need to be told when to stop or when things are getting out of hand.

Any time I have needed to show the mods a bad thread they have always acted on it straight away, unless they had more pressing real life matters to attend to. I always trust them to deal with things that need to be dealt with when I've went to them. I've noticed a few members don't always go to the mods with there problems though, I've had a few members in the past asking me about forum stuff. Which I gladly help with but, I can't help them with everything. To be honest though it was sort of intimidating sending things to the mods to begin with, I had no idea who these people were or how to approach them. Because I mean, if you make a bad first impression to a mod of all people its not the best start.

I feel we are moving sort of slowly but I know the mods have a lot of ideas on how to push forward. In my time here I've seen a few changes, such as more mods, more rules added, and expanding of the site. I do feel that there is a limit to what we can do in our current form, I mean this forum was made by a single person, there has to be a limit to what it can do.

I think most of the mods do a wonderful job here. That said, I feel some may not do enough here, or it just isn't evident (I mean, I know Gwenster does a lot of work behind the scenes which none of use see, I only know this because I asked what he was up to) which then means the other mods pick up the slack, which then means we cant move forward as they have to make sure everything is fine as it is before it can move forward. You can't expand on something broken.

I figure if I'm going to leave a mark on the way this place is run, this should be it. Let's take a step back and appraise ourselves, and ask "are we heading in the right direction?"

We are slowly heading in the right direction. I feel we can end up quite a big and well know site but it has to be a team effort, a few people alone will not succeed.

I do think there's something Tobin and Yuzo can do though, on the Podcast they make it seem like you can act however you want as long as you don't act like a "dick" Which then means when people tell them off for being moronic they simply quote "DBAD" as if it makes them in the right and the person telling them off in the wrong. I know we will always attract morons here, there's nothing you can do about that. But, maybe Tobin and Yuzo could paint a different picture of here.

I sincerely hope what I have said doesn't offend anyone or stir up any negative feelings. This is all based on my 1 year here out of NoobToobs total 3 years. I haven't seen everything to comment on it so I may be completely wrong in what I have said. I love this place dearly and hope to be here for many years to come.
  • I was a bit impartial about doing a survey, but fuck it. Lets see what I can produce here.

For me, anything I don't like about the forum's upkeep is a matter of personal opinion. I'd like to see UGC cleaned up more and all of the single-picture topics grouped together into some sort of Refridgerator Door topic or something, idk. Maybe. Likewise, that's probably the most severe problem I see in regards to this question which means I really have no problems at all since it's such a miniscule problem to begin with.
    It's all a matter of opinion. As for severety of moderation, I have no problem with how things are and how things have been.

I do think Mods are forced to be nicer than they should be, but that's all apart of doing business, right? I think any bannings and punishments are accurate and appropriate. I'm not even sure how much a banning happens anyway, everything seems pretty relaxed around here still, and the only ones who get banned are the spam sellers and the extreme douchebags.

I think punishments are pretty standard and clear. Usually when some ass gets banned from the IRC, they head to the shoutbox with a "Wtf?" but the mods in charge have always made it pretty clear as to why said users was punished.

I think if banned or punished users should be able to speak or attest to their violations, it should only be done IN PRIVATE. I think if there were any said special forum for banned members, it needs to be private from the forum's public eye. There is no need to concern the private dealings of a banned user with the NT forum community.

If the public were to see mod responses or conversations betwee banned members, it could cause speculation between them and the community. It just isn't necessary. Private is private for a reason.

The forums are fine. If there are any grudgets or nasty angry feelings, it's on individual users only, and never a large group as a whole. When there is a single user angry at a mod, it usually involves him/her questioning the mods actions as a mod. At this point, I really don't give a shit what happens because usually the mod is making a level-headed decision anyway. Their in their position for a reason.

I'd like the government to give everyone free college tuition, but that doesn't mean it'll be good and healthy for the USA. Likewise are the forums; sometimes the desires of users arent the best options as decided by the mods in charge, and that's ok. If there were any problems, it'd be an idividual basis and I'd have listed them already.

Meh, this might be the first question I'm not sure on. If I have a serious problem, I wont pick the first mod I see for assitance, usually I pick a few of them that I consider myself close with. When it comes to trusting, it varries per situation. If I have a problem with another user or mod, I really only feel comfortable telling a select group of mod staff, and that reason being I'm not really sure where loyalties lie, if they exist. The fact that mods are often friends with each other sometimes makes it confusing as to where I can talk about certain things.

An example would be that if I thought SmokestormX was being a huge douchebag, I wouldn't really be sure to tell because he has such a good open relationship with other mods. I'm not sure if they'll keep my privacy as requested or maybe he'll secretly find out.

Then again, I have never seen this really happen yet. I have never seen a mod rat out to another mod about a user who hates him/her. I think it's simple natural human paranoia that causes these reactions.

Maybe this isn't something for the mod staff to fix, but rather, something to monitor.

I'd like to see Tobin and Yuzo get more active in the Noobtoob Community's public eye. I know they work 40 hours a week and all that, but so do a lot of us and we're always around. I've seen Yuzo say that there is a lot of users on Youtube that need pleasing too, but they aren't helping this site at all. We're here supporting this site, hosting events, making UGC. I wouldn't mind seeing a few more posts every now and then, maybe an IRC visit. If we're here because of them, and for them, then maybe we could get a kiss on the cheek from them every now and then?

I'm sorry for burning you guys there. I hope you guys don't take it the wrong way...but I'm not alone in my opinion. Lots of people know and talk about your inactivity. Please don't take this from me personally, it's just what I see.

Rules of the forum are fine. I like that we're still allowed to be silly and have fun, as well as swear and all that dirty good stuff. I feel very comfortable here posting in regards to the rules.

The forum staff is fine. Some mods and admins can have pretty sour moods on some days, but that never conflicts with their ability to do their job and I have never seen any of them over-react in a punishment because they are having a bad day. I think they are all pretty level headed and sound.

I do have a few staff/mod related suggestions;

1. I think it would be neat if the Events Team had their own special form for planning events for the month, much like the Content Team. I think it would be a great way for them to organize themselves and plan out events for months in advance. I think this would be a good chance for the team to work together, as well as have potential to bring out natural leaders on the team to relieve pressures on the mod staff. Building leaders around the forums is never a bad thing, right? I have established this opinion by speaking with members of the Events Team and discussing with them activities and planning happenings that happen in the Content Team forum. I can't see how this change could really hurt anyone, but it's not my decision in the end anyway.

2. When finding new mods and new leaders around here, I encourage those who make the decisions to look for "Do-ers" rather than "Talkers." I think this is pretty obvious; some can talk big and don't do jack shit in the long run, and produce quality results without inflating anything. If we need new mod staff in the future, I hope those spots are filled with people who have proven themselves rather than those who say they can prove themselves. Good luck with that.

I think that's really it. If you want an overall summary, from me, I really don't see any problems involving the mods and the community. As long as they keep the douchebags and fanboys in check, we'll be fine. If anything needs to be fixed, maybe UGC could be swept up every now and then, but that's about it.
  • ii) How do you feel about how we respond to and deal with our moderations? Are we too harsh in our punishments, or too soft? The same applies for our manner and behaviour in dealing with the people we moderate. Basically, when we DO choose to act in a situation, do we do it well?

I think the behavior of the Mods are extremely unbalanced when it comes to Bans, Locks, and leaving things alone. Respectable long term members of the forums get warnings simply by stating their opinions. While new members will start four Halo bashing threads in the same day and all of them get left open... Also, there was this new person in the intro thread who publicly insulted my girlfriend and the thread got left open. I don't understand the reasoning behind things like that. People get their threads locked because they are trying to share websites they have found/ created but not one that insults well established and respectable members of the forums.

If a person gets punished then that's between the Mods and the person. Normally we know the person who's in trouble so we just ask them if we want to know.

I think Mod intervention helps with newer members but for people who have been around for awhile Mods are just people. We don't really see them as the law. It's the user created things that give noobtoob it's tone. The podcasts, reviews, and events. All the things Mods have no control over. That's where NT really shows who we are.

Most of us tend to deal with problems through PMs.. Keep it off the site. The only time I really go to the Mods is when I want to give someone a heads up on a technical problem

I love how the forums are.. granted we have an occasional hiccup but people who cause them normally don't stay long. All in all it's still the place I wanted to be apart of all most a year ago... and after all this time I'm still finding new and funner ways to enjoy the community.

Thumbs up. I really have no complaints... except for the few gripes I had earlier but hell, it's all about a person's judgment and no one is perfect.
  • after reading most of the other responses i feel i should keep this short, for the most part i think the way things are run are good so i dont feel the need to comment on them. anything i dont comment on i say keep it the same or i dont have enough information to make a comment about the subject.

i have never seen pictures of most of the moderators but there are times that i picture them looking like the soup nazi. NO POSTS FOR YOU!!

i saw a thread recently that had no flaming and nobody complaining, but the topic did wander a little off subject. and the mod threatened to lock the thread if it stayed off subject. that in my opinion is a little bit stupid. while logically a new thread could have been started for the new subject, the subject at the time all made sense in context.

it wasnt as if it was a topic about batman and then someone came in and wrote an essay about dunkin donuts.

i do like how the threads are organized and give many props and thanks to that part of it.
    i just think there should be less moderation inside the threads as long as everyone follows the dbad rule.
    if the thread is wandering a little bit...well its because thats what the people want to talk about, and everyone is more than welcome to post about the topic even if it temporarily got sidetracked.
  • I'm a mod, but what the hell I'll contribute. I strongly considered creating a second account for this thread, just to remove any prejudices or bias people might have for or against me, but whatever. What's done is done.

Magenta said:
    i) What do you feel about the state the forums are kept in? Do you feel that we do not moderate aggressively enough, and

that posts and topics that should be dealt with are not? Or are we too harsh, and things that should be left alone are instead handled unfairly?

This area I'm genereally pretty pleased with. Most threads are given a chance to exist and make a point before being locked (if they deserve it). There's been a couple in hte past where I thought a lock wasn't needed, but those are rare.

I'll be upfront though; I have quite the anti-authoritarian streak in me, and that goes not just for presidents and congressmen, but moderators aswell. When in doubt, I am always against locking or banning something or someone. This community has done a great job acting mature and respectful towards one another, and I would rather that we continue to expect that from the community and give members the chance to show that, rather than take action right away.

quahgg said:
    Too many retards are allowed to exist. There used to be a time I recall that we demanded intellectual banter on these forums.

Not to sound arrogant or anything, and I know it always seems like I have a bone to pick with you quahgg... but these forums aren't really a bastion of political/philosophical/scientifical discussion. They never really have been, either. This is a gaming forum, and usually sticks to that area. Nothing wrong with that, especially if it's what we are familiar with, but looking at previous pages in the OT forum reveals such threads as "dinner time," "2 birds 1 chump", and "I am Ryu IRL.' These are pretty lighthearted affairs. The Gaming Culture forums provides the same results, just that the topics are game related. Again, I'm not saying this is a forum problem, it's just that this forum sticks pretty closely to gaming. It's the forum I also spend the most time on by far. :D

I will also say this though quahgg; I don't think that statements such as "Fuck the masses, there a bunch of retards anyways," are really conducive to a good enviroment. That's fine that you believe that, I am sure many people do, but if I was a new member and that was the first thing I saw... not sure I would want to stay here.

Now, having said all that, I don't think less of you for saying that, and one of the great things about this forum is that you can say that, and I know a theme so far in this thread is that mods aren't "tough enough," but I still think that politeness goes a long way in life, in all areas. Yeah, I am a bit of a pushover, but I can honestly say that I haven't really made any enemies in the last ten years of my life, and that feels really, really good. And I still manage to speak my mind usually (not that I do much speaking nowadays :lol: ).

That kind of covers part two also, so I will skip that one.

Magenta said:

This one I am honestly torn about. I know in the past I have made it clear that it should probably be left private, but there are some days when I feel that more open discussion could do a lot of good towards alleviating concerns or sources of conflict. Chalk me up as a 100% "not sure" for this one, although as time goes by I lean more and more towards some kind of area for open dialouge.

Using my skipping option, I will go to...

Magenta said:

Yes. I do think that the moderator staff is extremely honest about thoughts, feelings, etc, and open to others. Obviously I have a different view of them than a regular member does, but I really appreciate this a lot from fellow staff members.

Magenta said:

I feel good. I don't post quite as much as I once did, but I still spend a lot of time on the forums, and hanging out on Ventrilo has been an absolute blast for me and continues to be so. I am always one for openness, freedom, polite behavior, etc., and there's always room for improvement, but my biggest concerns are usually dealt with in a positive manner. For instance, something came up a couple weeks ago that would have been an implementation of something that I was EXTREMELY against. After a brief staff discussion, we decided that it was in our best interest not to implement it. As long as we continue to use open dialouges like that, things will go well much more often than they go bad.

Magenta said:

Thumbs up. I have my disagreements, as we all do, but I consider the staff to generally do a great job in the care and effort that they put into this community (insert clever self-deprecating comment here).

I know this probably isn't the most valuable post, or what you may have had in mind, but it's too late now. :D
  • Strife315 said:
    I think the behavior of the Mods are extremely unbalanced when it comes to Bans, Locks, and leaving things alone. Respectable long term members of the forums get warnings simply by stating their opinions. While new members will start four Halo bashing threads in the same day and all of them get left open... Also, there was this new person in the intro thread who publicly insulted my girlfriend and the thread got left open. I don't understand the reasoning behind things like that. People get their threads locked because they are trying to share websites they have found/ created but not one that insults well established and respectable members of the forums.

Regarding your thread discussion about locks, bans, and more - especially about the intro thead:

The Introductions subforum is MASSIVE. We honestly don't have enough time to dig through everyone's intro AND the responses to them. If you see things like this happening, you've got to PM some of us. We need to know these things. We don't want abusive intro posts, especially! So let us know. We want things to be GOOD. Like you said later on down in your post - we're all people. We're not sentinels, although I may want to be.

I will throw my 2 cents in real quick about where we're headed, and what's happened in the past six months that I am extremely proud of.

Events. We have events for ALL platforms (sans Wii, handheld) every weekend. Sometimes multiple per week as well! We've had an amazing crop of Event teams that have really brought participation to the front of the site, and people continue to game together and forge more friendships. Noobtoob is about getting people together and having fun gaming instead of dropping into public matches and getting a trial by fire. The Events teams, as a whole, have far exceeded all of our expectations in every way, and I am proud of what they have accomplished, and toast my cup o' water to many more.

Our content is second to none. We have a huge, huge reservoir of talent and drive. Did you see that Batman: AA unboxing video one of our users made? Do you need more podcasts? Video reviews? Other reviews? Hell, even movie reviews? We've got EVERYTHING covered for the most part, and it's only going to improve.

We've got so much I am proud of, so I am extremely confident in where we are heading, and I hope all of you recognize this talent as much as I do, and continue to create events, videos, reviews...the whole 9 yards. You all are amazing.
  • I thought I'd do this survey, since this place has been my internet home for the past year. Let's do this!
    --

I think the state of the forums is great. Most of the garbage that gets posted is usually locked, as it should be and threads that are extremely interesting, and have some thought are left open.

I believe that the mods are both harsh and not aggressive enough at the same time. Sometimes they may lock a thread for a possible mistake, usually caused by a new member (but we do have a rules thread.) or somebody being stupid, in which they should. However, somethings should be left alone if somebody accidentally goes off topic about a game and starts talking about their massive amount of hemorrhoids, big deal. But if we have loads of people going off topic, the best bet would to be drop a warning in. And then continue from there.

Nobody can do their job perfectly, and from what I've seen the mods due on the forums as a whole I say, keep it up. They're doing a great job.

(I'll skip the next one and go to question 3)

I believe it should be public to an extent. But not too public as people have some above about someones friend being banned and everyone retaliates at the mod. Something simple, and easy for people to know not to do that exact same thing.

For example.

The mods ban Timmy for posting nude pictures in media discussion. Jonathan comes along and notices the discussion about Timmy and posting nudies, he learns that this is a dumb idea and doesn't do this.

That's a thought, it may end up allowing some people to not be scared of posting. In which some new members have that fear.

I feel that the direction is positive. We're moving up-hill towards the ice-cream. Some sort of lame figure of speech, but it's true. We're getting better and better with every new event someone hosts, the newest form of UGC that's released, you name it.

And if someone posts something hurtful to or about another member the mods try to help in the best way they can. I can only see the community rising up positively from here. Maybe that's the reason I've stayed so long, it's wonderful. I also believe the rules work perfectly.

We don't see a lot of people posting "your ideas are shit" or "suck a dick". We usually get positive comments for what we do (depending on what we do). A lot of people take the rules to heart since this is such a good community, and by following these rules we get to stay.

Definitely a major thumbs up. It's a great feeling especially when a mod says something positive about something you've posted or have done as a part of the community. Things are going great, and I think if we keep going this strong we'll reach that ice-cream in no time.

I know I've skipped a few questions, and I intend of posting later with my answers to more of these questions.
  • OK, I'm not going to address each of the individual points, but instead give a general summary of my feelings towards noobtoob.

I'd like to start off by saying that during the four months I've spent on the site, for the most part the mods have done an astounding job of keeping the threads under control. I have only come across a couple of arseholes during this time and on most occasions I've seen the mods boot of justice kicking them into touch.

Are the mods sometimes a little over zealous? Well of course they are, we all would be in that position from time to time. I think the majority of NT'ers realise that the mod staff have a lot to deal with and occasionally they are going to make questionable decisions, as long as the balance lies on the side of good decisions I'm happy.

I tend to agree with Fuzzy that it would be nice to see more of Tobin and Yuzo (especially Tobin :D) in the threads and for them to talk about the threads a little bit more in the show. For instance, it seems to me that it would be a great idea for Crimson's member of the week winner to get a mention in the show. Not only would this give more exposure to the award, but it would also encourage more users to create quality content. With all that said though, I think Tobin and Yuzo do a great job here and it's unreasonable to expect too much of them considering all of their commitments.

Anyway that's my take. Hope some of it's been vaguely useful:D
  • I first hope that this isn’t as whiny as my suggestion box posts with that lets move on
    This is perfectly fine and I really have no gripes moving on,

I honestly think we are way to harsh so what if someone didn’t read the rules before coming here honestly I didn’t either. This is was one of my biggest problems with the forums that I feel unless your making ugc or reviews it is very hard to enter. The rules should be how Demiveeman planned it with his introductions team with a video and more but I digress.

Half me wants to say make it private but the other half says wait people will keep questioning mods and want to know their reasons why the banned, [Insert Banned Member Here] I remember a long time ago we used to when the time happened publicly tell about the bannings of a member(though if my memory serves me right this happened once) Those people that were banned weren’t constantly talked about for long periods of time it just happened for a day and we moved on.
    That’s personally my two cents in the long run it might not work but it might, I dunno.

I personally think this is usually excellent where they keep the tempers in check very well so people don’t make stupid mistakes. I think the forums are very pleasant (funny I write more the worse I think something is)

There is only one Mod I don’t trust other then that I perfectly fine with situations

I think the forums are becoming stale personally for me. Which might be my ADHD kicking in. I don’t know a better showcase of UGC and Reviews would make me happy because I know a lot of that doesn’t get stickied, on the front page or sadly noticied. I also think that stuff like this is very good and is definitely useful. I understand the mods can’t get the heresay on every matter but it helps to do stuff like this. Also I’m excited to see the new site re-design whenever that would be.

Overall other then feeling the forums are hard to really get into for newcomers. I think the site needs something I don’t know maybe just more help in ugc or something but something just seems off to me recently like we need more organization we tried noobtoobtv but honestly that didn’t work but other then that I really like the forums but I like the people that inhabit them much more.
  • Here is my survey all filled out and ready to turn in! I'm not going to quote the questions, but just number them, because I'll try to restate the question in my answer so you'll know what I'm talking about.

1. I think that the overall state of the forums is generally well kept. I think the balance of threads that are locked vs left unlocked are pretty understandable, and it usually takes a couple rules to be broken before your thread gets the lock thrown on it. There have been some threads that I have seen that were locked, where I wasn't expecting them to. This kind of goes hand in hand with the question dealing with Mods and anticipating what fights will happen. Sometimes I'll see a thread that started off innocent enough, but started going down a controversial path and the Mods/Admins were great about seeing this and locking the threads before things could really heat up. The only other thing I could really see that might need a bit of work is what Chip already mentioned. I think a simple link from the rules should always be necessary when locking a thread, so it at least gives the members who didn't bother to read the rules some exposer to them. And it also gives the person whos thread was locked an exact reasoning as to why. The only thing that I would like to see happen, but it might be pushing it a bit, is along with the quote from the rules, a brief explination in the Mods own words detailing exactly why the thread is being locked for the specific instance. Again, this might be a little too much, and added work on the Mods that doesn't need to be there.

2. In regards to this question, I used to feel the same way that Strife felt, in some cases. I was under the mind set that new members got worse treatment on the site, and if you had been around longer you had more chances to screw up with various posts, threads, arguments getting out of control, etc. However, since being around the forums more, and really watching how things get handled, I now understand that this might be an accidental thing, if that is the way to put it, rather than something you guys set out to do on purpose. Long time members have been around longer, so therefore I feel they should have a couple extra warnings if they mistep their place, or do something they shouldn't. I'm going to move on for now, because I feel like I'm rambling a bit here.

3. I strongly feel that there should not be a thread made to talk about certain bannings and what not. If a someone is banned for any reason they obviously did something wrong, and that was there choice in the first place. If what happened was accidently, or they feel cheated, then they should approach the Mods about it themselves. If they care enough to re-join the forums, which I guarantee 50% of the people banned will just move on and forget about it, then they should take the responsibility to e-mail the site, or use a different method, twitter, IRC, etc. to plead their case and get back on the forums under a new alias or whatever it may be.

4. I think the forums are kept at a nice medium level. What I mean by that is, you have the new members who are still learning the ropes, getting used to the rules and then you have the older members who guide the others on how things work and the general feel of the forums. I already answered the question about preventing things from happening, so I'll move on.

5. I think the moderative staff is extremely trustworthy. I know, personally, I wouldn't mind pm'ing or talking to someone in IRC if I have an issue with the site, or a particular member. I know many times I've had a question about something, and a response was given in a nice way each and every time. However, I don't think general queries should be asked in there own thread. If this happens I think a Mod should just simple tell the user "Pm one of us if you have any questions" or "talk to me in IRC and I can explain it." But this might be more trouble then to simple answer the question there and lock the thread. But I think if this is more enforced in the rules, if it isn't there already, then it would be a nice addition to the site.

6. I am really excited about the direction the community is moving in. Yeah, the influx of members can be a bit overwhelming at times, but all in all its just another chance to make new friends and game together, and that's what we're all here for, right? Like Sunny already mentioned, the growing frequency of events, reviews, and UGC are what really drive the forums to stand out from other gaming forums. I think we have really made a name for ourselves as being the most personable forums around the web. I can only see this getting better in the future, and in the end this is and always will be a great place to be.

7. An overall summary of the staff as a whole. Well, the staff around here is great. I really like how each and every one of them has their own personalities and each stands out from eachother and makes the place awesome. Yeah, some might work behind the scenes, or some might be shy and not be as such an active moderator as they'd like to be, but the blended mix of people really help to create such an amazing sense of wonder to the forums, and there just isn't anything like it. I'm going to give the site and staff a huge thumbs up! for being great at providing for the community, and I really can only see it going up from here. Awesome work, all of you.
  • Good golly Miss Molly! I thought monster posts were my province!

In general, I think the moderation done here is unobtrusive, which is an excellent sign. It means that I'm not noticing that moderation is too harsh or too lenient, therefore it must be pretty close to spot on.

I've no idea. I don't know of any instances or examples of moderation, apart from threads getting locked. I think this is a problem, I'll expand below.

I think there is an openness issue here. For example, the thread about Seduction, which (in my opinion) was obviously a hamfisted recruiting exercise by the dodgy new members who prepetrated it. Jaded Sapphire was abused by several of these clowns, and all she did was respond to her boyfriend Strife's post about seduction (note: not Seduction): they just looked at her picture and started making unwarranted personal attacks as asides to their main point. In my opinion, no one stood up for JS, possibly because these attacks were not the main thrust of each point they made, they just casually threw them in there. Now the thread was eventually locked by Sunny, stating somehing along the lines of 'this thread has run it's course...'.

I want to know what happened to those new members, who presumably only joined up for their pathetic recruiting exercise - were they permanently banned? They haven't posted again as far as I'm aware - but if they only joined to recruit, then they wouldn't post again, would they? Where's the official comment condemning them for attacking JS, who has been a stalwat member of the community and a good greeter? (P.S. Not the caveman approach 'leave our woman alone', but the 'Hey, we don't talk to people in that way here.') I read the thread only after it was locked, or I would have posted the above in it.

In situations like that, where the banned members have only posted to stir up trouble, I think the locking post should contain details as to what the ban was, what the ban was for and what rule they broke. I don't think they deserve the respect of privacy, I think they waived that right.

See i).

I think so, but I haven't had occassion to find out. Trustworthy until proven otherwise.

I see people commenting about 'the direction the site is moving in', but I have no idea what this means. I see no 'missions statement' or similar. What are our goals? Are we just drifting along? I'm not saying we have to have these things, but it's hard to comment on the direction of the site when I can't see where it's going. Perhaps I'm too new?

I think that there is too much distance between mods & other members - but not as much as other sites!

Thumbs up compared with the rest of the net, but it's not utopia... yet!

CRC
  • CapnRedChops said:
    I've no idea. I don't know of any instances or examples of moderation, apart from threads getting locked. I think this is a problem, I'll expand below.

I think there is an openness issue here. For example, the thread about Seduction, which (in my opinion) was obviously a hamfisted recruiting exercise by the dodgy new members who prepetrated it. Jaded Sapphire was abused by several of these clowns, and all she did was respond to her boyfriend Strife's post about seduction (note: not Seduction): they just looked at her picture and started making unwarranted personal attacks as asides to their main point. In my opinion, no one stood up for JS, possibly because these attacks were not the main thrust of each point they made, they just casually threw them in there. Now the thread was eventually locked by Sunny, stating somehing along the lines of 'this thread has run it's course...'.

I want to know what happened to those new members, who presumably only joined up for their pathetic recruiting exercise - were they permanently banned? They haven't posted again as far as I'm aware - but if they only joined to recruit, then they wouldn't post again, would they? Where's the official comment condemning them for attacking JS, who has been a stalwat member of the community and a good greeter? (P.S. Not the caveman approach 'leave our woman alone', but the 'Hey, we don't talk to people in that way here.') I read the thread only after it was locked, or I would have posted the above in it.

In situations like that, where the banned members have only posted to stir up trouble, I think the locking post should contain details as to what the ban was, what the ban was for and what rule they broke. I don't think they deserve the respect of privacy, I think they waived that right.

FYI, to clear this up, nobody was banned - the thread was locked as the people posting it decided that throwing insults someone's way (ANYone's) was what they wanted to do. We're not in the habit of letting people get shit talked about them here, so I closed it. Again, no bans, they haven't posted anymore (which should clue you all in to exactly what they were doing here) and there's been nothing more from it. Just clearing that up for those curious.
  • i) Very good. Every topic that gets out of control, or doesn't have any point at all, is dealt with pretty efficiently.

ii) I don't recall any instances in which I've observed someone getting banned or anything like that, so I wouldn't know how effective the moderator team is in this department. I trust that they take care of the trollers and what not in a pretty fast and effective manner, as I don't really see many of them around.

iii) I think a section in the Site Discussion in which members can ask the moderator team specific questions about how they're running the site would be a good idea. It would allow people to have a specific place where they can inform the moderator team of any complaints or questions, and let other members (who might ask the same questions) to observe the answers and learn more about how things are run.

iv) I'd say the moderator team is pretty good at preventing the T's from planting the bomb. As I said I don't really see many outbursts or fights, even with the huge influx of new members. Any squabble I do see is handled very cautiously, and almost never (to my knowledge) results in users getting suspended or banned.

v) I don't even know most of the moderators. I've played some L4D with Quahgg and I think I've talked to Jam a couple times, I played some CoD with Smokey, but apart from that I haven't really communicated with you guys at all. No, I don't feel that if I had an issue it would be on the priority list of the moderators. I don't bring any issues I have to them mostly because I don't talk to them and I have few to no issues. I've been around for about a year but honestly I feel as connected to the moderators as I do to people who joined the site a week ago.

vi) I've been pretty pleased with the direction the site is moving in. I came to NoobToob a year ago, and in that time we've seen more members contributing to the community, more events, more UGC, and trusted regulars have been added to the mod team in order to keep things a little more under control. NoobToob has grown, and with that I think we've gotten a little more mature. Sure there are those new members who need to be whooped into shape a little bit, but all in all I think NoobToob's been steppin forward.

vii) All in all I think the mod team is doing as good of a job as humans can. NoobToob is known for being that better internet community, and the mods are the people who make sure it stays that way. The quality of the content and community hasn't fallen downhill, so you guys must be doing something right. :) I'd give you all a thumbs up.

I think the forums are being run fine. Granted there are stupid posts with semi-regularity (the 3 or 4 recent Halo threads about its critical acclaim come to mind) but those are usually locked pretty soon. Everyone once in a while there is a game review that is just pathetic and usually the poster is given the chance to bring it up to Noobtoob standards. I have never seen something locked and then thought "Why did this get locked?"

I think the moderators are doing about as well as they can. They are only human so they can't stay on top of everything. I know Sunflower is somewhat feared but he does a good job of locking down stupid threads.

A while ago someone started a thread complaining about how his signature got changed and he demanded to know why. If he had bothered to read to rules he would have known (which got mentioned to him several times before the thread was locked). There really isn't anything that could have been done. There is a post in Site Discussion and Introduction about the rules, people will either read it or they won't. If they choose poorly than their posts should get locked, and they usually get an explanation as to why the locking occurred. While I don't know how banning works I would think you have to do something clearly doushbagish to get banned (I could be wrong) so if you don't know why you got banned than Noobtoob probably isn't the website for you.

One time I was in vent and GoodEnough was commenting how a thread in Game Culture could devolve into a fanboy console fight and he would have to keep and eye on it. I think it was about comparing the various consoles to the DnD races. Since that isn't even his section I would say the moderators (or at the very least GoodEnough) do a good job at keeping things civil.

I haven't had many experiences with the moderators but on the occasions when I did PM them I got answers back within like 2 days and they were friendly and helpful.

I've only been watching Noobtoob for a year, been on the forums even less, but in that time the community hasn't changed that much. There were good posts then and good posts now. There were stupid posts then that had me wondering if I was the only newcomer who bothered to read the rules, and there are stupid posts now that have me wondering if the rules get read anymore. If you want to curb more negative behavior...I dunno a detailed explanation about why a thread was locked with a link to the rules seem like all a normal rational person would need. By the way Magenta, my spell checker says you misspelled "behaviour" there isn't supposed to be a U in that word you Brit ;)

I really like the Noobtoob forums, its has a friendly environment. Certainly a step up from previous forums I've tried (and quickly lost interest in because there were plenty of assholes). Keep up the good work mods.

The way the forums are handled is perfect. It's a pity that the mods can't have more of a handle over the content people post. Removing stuff that isn't trolling nor flaming but just utter stupidity. At the moment some people might post with their point being extremely vague, worded badly and overall lacking in proper contribution. If that was the case, I would mod-edit the post, send a PM with their post asking them to re-think how they've written it, much like Sunflower used to do with the reviews forums. He'd ask people to put their emotions into it, really let people know how the game had an effect on them, not just say "It looks pretty and plays well".

I feel this question is a bit unfair. How is the community to know who got banned for how long for what? I don't recall reading a thread where somebody was banned where it posted such information, so how are we meant to know other than threads that need to be locked, which stand out like a sore thumb? Then again, I don't read the forums in much detail, so this might actually happen. If so, keep it up.

A hidden board for banned user to ask queries on would be nice. It has a double effect:

1. Banned users can get information on their bans.
    2. Anybody stupid enough to go into a rage about said ban on that forum probably shouldn't be welcomed back into the community.

If it was up to me, topics would be allowed to run their course. I feel this as most of the members are mature enough to tell people to knock off the bullshit, sort of moderating itself where people get told we're not like that here and that if they continue a moderator will take action. If a person has a real issue with what somebody has said that it should be looked into in the context. Have they been a generally over-opinionated in the past and possibly some comments they made sparked it off, or was it an attack without provocation?

I realise it's a bit late to change the community structure now, and I feel bringing this in now would cause many problems, members taking their "knock it off" too far, leading to more members being dealt with than before. The community is always full of surprises.

This is a good question. The moderators I trusted the most were Quahgg and Magenta. After that, it would be Sunflower. The rest of the mods I feel I can't really trust, mainly due to the face I haven't interacted with them as much. Things like the "Meet the Mods" thread help, but there is still that initial connection that's missing, still that lingering feeling of "They still have to earn my respect". Just like any new mods promoted might be awesome people, but they'd have to earn my respect as a moderator.

As for the other interpretation, I feel issues raised publicly are dealt with in a timely fashion. In private I cannot comment as I have no experience. I raport this post" rely read the welcome threads, but perhaps a button that community members can click when someone has a question they/no one has answered. That way the mods get alerted, can deal with the issue and move on.

The forums themselves are fine, as the community has grown I have watched it evolve. More people means more views means for conflicts. It's the way the cookie crumbles. I remember once I said I missed "The good 'ol days". Looking back I realise that the ratio of conflicts has stayed the same as the community has grown. Yes, this means more conflicts, more people who's view you don't particularly enjoy reading, but in essence it hasn't changed. There is as much to enjoy as there was before, it's just a matter of looking at it in the right light. Going around constantly thinking "This was better before" only left me to see the negatives of the forums, but I can see how little they have changed. There is still great content, which couldn't exist without a great moderation staff to make sure the content keeps on rolling.

I don't really look at the jobs the staff do, I just assume they have enough initiative to do what they need to. From what I've seen, Sunflower is very much the most active "Crap filter", locking majority of threads, telling people to cut the bullshit etc. I also notice Swoopes participating in discussion quite frequently, perhaps because of her purple posts.

The moderators are heading in the right direction, it's up to the community to follow.
  • Cheers for the clarification, Sunny.

FWIW, your level of moderation seems very appropriate in hindsight - why use a sledgehammer to crack a nut, eh?

CRC

Right now I feel like the state of the forums is absolutely fine. Sometimes moderators might seem to act a bit harsh when new members make threads in the wrong place, or have atrocious spelling and grammar. But I think that's just down to the annoyance of new members not reading the site rules - a good majority of the time - as well as neutral posts from moderators, that can often be seen in negative light from new members.

The punishments seem on the perfect level. There's a good amount of leniency when things turn to the worse, which is great because I'd hate for noobtoob to turn into a place where the ban-hammer is chucked around too much. It's still a place that we can voice our opinions, even if they are not to the agreement of the forum, and not be punished for petty reasons.
    Basically: when the shit hits the fan, the moderators act, and they act very well.

I think it should be completely open. If someone was banned from the forums, surely the rest of the members have the right to know why? Especially if the banned members wasn't just a newbie to the forums.
    It's quite a crude example, but we don't send people to jail with their family in the unknown. And if somebody is banned from the road because of drink driving, then anybody in contact with said person will end up knowing the reason for the ban.
    I feel like it's my right as a regular forum member to know why others have received the ban-hammer.

I'm not sure what goes on behind the scenes of Noobtoob, but there are a lot of times when people let their temper get the better of them, only to have other members not react calmly and coolly, but to just poke at the anger displayed. Often this would lead to sometimes page long arguments (some that could have possibly been prevented earlier on) that consequentially get the thread closed.

The short answer is: yes. The long answer is: yes, I trust the moderative staff to help forum members, whatever (-there are obviously limits) the importance of the situation may be.

Now, that is a good question. I'm not an overly active member of the forums as it is, and I'm going to frequent the forums less in the coming future. That aside, I think it's heading in a good direction, we're still ironing out some things regarding how some types of new members are recepted into the community, but it's looking good.

Thumbs up. 9/10 because nothing's perfect. Brilliant, enjoyable, nice people.
  • Strife315 said:

I'm sorry, but a regular user needs to address this, because this comment so skewed that it's unfair for anyone to take it seriously since they really don't know the whole truth.

Strife315 said:
    I think the behavior of the Mods are extremely unbalanced when it comes to Bans, Locks, and leaving things alone. Respectable long term members of the forums get warnings simply by stating their opinions.

First off, you state that Respectable Long Time members get warnings for their posts. Skipping the bullshit, I'm going straight out and I will ask you for some proof. This forum is loaded with posts. If this is TRULY a problem for you to idenfity, I am sure that you have something to back this erroneous statement with.

To further this, when saying "Respectable Long TIme memembers" are you referring to yourself? You've only been here 7-8 months. I've been here a year and I don't consider myself a "Respectable Long Time member." If you think that you are "Respectable Long TIme members" and you are complaining about the mod's reaction to "Respectable Long TIme members" then I can only assume the mods did something to piss you off, and then your arguement is skewed and I wouldn't think that's very fair that you chew out the mods in your post over a personal vendetta. But then again, maybe you are talking about some other "Respectable Long TIme member" at which I return to my first statement of; show me proof.

On that, it's good to remember that there is a big difference between saying "Whoever does that is stupid," and truly stating opinions. Despite some being "Respectable Long TIme members," this doesn't mean they post intelligent shit all the time. Some of them are jugheads. That's ok, but if they honestly got warned by a mod and they are a true blue "Respectable Long TIme member" then they must have deserved it.

Fuck it, I'm showing some balls, you should too; along with that proof I want, give me some names of Mods who have done this wrong. You accuse the entire mod staff of being corrupt, but I highly doubt they are all out to attack the "Respectable Long TIme members" of this forum.

Strife315 said:
    While new members will start four Halo bashing threads in the same day and all of them get left open...

Do I need to ask for more proof? From a member who is on the forums and in the IRC literally every day, I think I would have noticed some of the Halo Bashing threads. I have a knack for laughing at stupid topics in the IRC. Many of the users, like Chip, myself, and a few of the mods, patrol the forums for silly stupid threads like this frequently. I'm sure I would have noticed.

I did pick out one terrible discrace of a thread which might fit your description;

http://noobtoob.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=16668

Would you look at that? In my opinion, Jam's response exceeds the role of which I'd expect out of a moderator. He is stern (to make sure the idiot doesn't repost) as well as explaining the role of the topic (or lack thereof). Good job, Jam Enslaver.

I mean, c'mon Strife. The mods don't leave open shitty topics. It creates fights, makes people troll (which isn't wanted here), and disrubts the flow of the community. Even you were recetly involved in that mockery of a "Seduction" topic in the Off Topic forum. It's locked now for a reason, it was a piece of shit thread. Sunflower took care of that, good for him.

I really don't see any examples of this. I've thumbed back a few pages in both Game Culture and Game Discussion to look for these Halo-Bashing threads and found nothing. I highly doubt the topics were deleted because the mods lock topics to inform the creator about why the topic is locked, so that pretty much rules out that they were in fact deleted. I don't see any locked topics...so I'm curious what you're exactly talking about. Get back to me on that, ok Chief?

Strife315 said:
    Also, there was this new person in the intro thread who publicly insulted my girlfriend and the thread got left open. I don't understand the reasoning behind things like that.

How many introduction threads do you see locked, seriously? Leaving that be, Sunflower already explained that it's pretty much impossible to keep up with that forum.

Now, about your insulted girlfriend. Let's make this a fair discussion by citing the source at which you are complaining (note: for this, I provided the proof for you).

http://noobtoob.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=15852&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

What do we see? New guy, likes games, likes NT for game reviews, plays guitar, drinks, smokes pot, likes NES. A few nice posts late, someone polite (way to go NekuX3) notices the pot part. Not a big deal. New guy responds talking about how he is a casual pot smoker, he's involved with groups supporting the legalization of it, and he knows a lot of musicians who like it (we already know he likes the guitar).

Enter Jaded Sapphire. Saphire tells New guy that pot kills brain cells and that he shouldn't talk about it around the forums because there are young kids everywhere, pot is bad, gateway drug, etc.

What a great way to say "Welcome to Noobtoob," right? What would you expect to happen when Jaded Sapphire makes a post like that?

So yes, New guy freaked out and made some very rude posts. What do you expect? He's new, he doesn't know anything about the forums in terms of how we act, how we handle confrontations, etc and what does he do? He gets angrily defensive, just like many people when you bombard them into a corner.

Things move on. Manio and Chip post good things trying to calm the situation down. Then New guy posts again, he states his case, says that he will not change, and then says:
    New guy said:
    Now please If you don't mind drop the whole drug business. Your never going to sway me. Now back to games:

Hooray! Agression over. New guy is ready to move on peacefully and he's now telling us about Army of Two...What happens next?

Jaded Sapphire basically reposts the same thing she did earlier in the same topic. The topic was basically over. New guy ended the fight, he even made a step towards peace by trying to start a discussion about Army of Two. Jaded Sapphire decided rip the scab of this topic wide open. Then Strife posted too;

Strife315 said:
    Fix your attitude. Sapphire has proven herself to be a respected and helpful member of these forums. You don't have to agree with her but respect her right to think differently then yourself.

Where is the facepalm Emoticon?

To finish this story, New guy posts 1 more time, tells Strife to "bite me" and that's pretty much it. Did anything else happen?
    Chip said:
    Hm, I think he was scared away, he hasn't posted in a while.

Bingo. Congrats. New guy is now Gone guy.

Ok, sorry for taking so long explaining that. Now I will take a look at why you are complaining. You're stating that this topic was left open and that that guy openly insulted your girlfriend. True, but did you ever consider that Jaded Sapphire brought this upon herself? I mean, damn dude, you point the finger of guilt at New guy, but it's your girlfriend's fault that his shitstrorm started in the first place. If anyone is to blame for this shit, it's Jaded Sapphire.

I mean, hell, she claims that lots of 13 year olds go here and that pot is inapproprate. I'd talk about HP1704 loving beer and hating canadians and Tobin talking about his "junk," but hell, New guy already did it! New guy took my arguement that I was going to use to defunk your girlfriend's post. Pretty smart for a stupid pot smoker, eh?

I mean, did it ever occur to you that Jaded Sapphire is overly opinionated? Maybe she should start considering the feelings of others before she starts giving her opinions of others. How would you like it if I bumped yours or her introduction topic and say "I don't like that you two are living together and having sex and making babies out of wed lock. In my relegion, we'd consider that an act of immorality and I think you're going to hell."

Would you like if I did that? Because I am pretty sure that's what Jaded Sapphire just did to New guy. It pisses you off to think about me saying that, doesn't it? Truth hurts man. I spoke hypothetically there, but reality is reality, buddy.

In the end, you're mad that the mods didn't step in to fix something that was your girlfriend's fault? If she opened the can of worms, why is it the mods responsibilty to clean up Jaded Sapphire's dirty work? She's an adult, she can handle her own problems. Shit, her 2nd post, followed by your ballsy post indicates to me that you both can take a fight on no problem. How are the mods being unfair because of your issues? You call the mods unbalanced? What if the mods are sick of monitoring you two users to make sure you don't piss off anyone anymore? I mean, damn Strife, you're an adult you know how to deal with confrontation.

Strife315 said:
    People get their threads locked because they are trying to share websites they have found/ created but not one that insults well established and respectable members of the forums.

This is a gross explosion of misinformation. The reason that those topics are locked is because most of the time they are stupid advertisement threads. Advertising is not allowed here. Discussion closed. The topic about "Seduction" was obviously a troll topic where a few idiots from the "Seduction Forums" came over and said "Hey, join our forums!" If anything, the mods are doing their jobs. Good for them!

Also, look at user GrumpyCherios. He recently started a website about his reviews that he has been posting here. Are his threads locked? No. Why? He's not an asshole advertiser. He's a great NTA user trying his best to promote his own hard work that he's made for us NTA users.

To finish your final statement, if you think I'm full of shit, show me some proof.

I'm done here. Strife, I found this necessary to respond to you because your post is out of line. Your arguements are unsupported, your statements are irrational and you accuse the mods of not cleaning up your girlfriend's messes. Your ripping on our mods is NOT fair.

The mods here are amazing. They're working their asses off to keep EVERYONE happy and within sound comfort of the forums here. Have you ever been to a site like Gamefaqs? The mods on Gamefaqs never post, you can't communicate with them, and they're all douchebags. We should be greatful that we have mods that post on the forums, explain things to us, chat with us in the Vent and IRC, and even play games with us.

Strife, I'm sorry, but with your comments, I'm saying that the mods are not to blame here, and I feel that people should see the other side of your arguement.

I might as well say this now, I am sorry for any people I have offended with this post and I am sorry for any future posts in this thread which may ruin the topic for discussion. I just felt it was necessary to defend the mods when they are under review here.
  • Also, and I'm not going to make a response quite as long as Fuzzy's, but I take great offense to the undertone in your post that 'long-term respected members' should get preferential treatment. Let's say Fuzzy made a review tomorrow and put "Oh, and by the way, here's a link to the ROM" at the bottom. He would get banned. Yes, he's a long term member, and yes, he's contributed a lot - but that's also a really stupid thing to do. I know he wouldn't do it, but it's a convenient analogy, so let's work with it, eh?

Your post seems to imply that being around here a long time ought to give you some form of diplomatic immunity, which it doesn't and it shouldn't. Arguments and disputes should be argued and won based on the strength of your argument. If you try and come out on top because you've 'been here longer', then maybe you need better reasons, ya dig?

It's funny Fuzzy mentions GameFAQs, cause I was part of a little clique that did exactly that back there. I was 15 at the time. I can look back on it now and go "Man, that was stupid and dickish of me." so I would expect something a little better from apparently mature members of a mature forum.
  • Right on Fuzzy! :P
  • Coupla things here:

1) As a general rule, people shouldn't ask others for their opinions on the way things are going (ie feedback) and then publicly slam the people who give it because those opinions are seen as not valid.
    I'm looking more at Magneta here rather than Fuzzy here.
    I think this kind of analysis (ie the thread concept, good on you Magneta for having the foresight to do this) is valuable, but if you scare away all but those who think like you do, a lot of the value decreases.
    Now I'm not making a call either way as to whether Strife's opinion is half assed, but can't his opinion just be considered along with the opinions of all the others who posted, and if Strife's points are unsupported by facts, his opinion be ignored in the final round up?
    Surely you want responders to give their honest and open opinion, even if they're wrong?
    With the utmost respect, perhaps you are a little to emotionally involved to be able to step back and let this happen?

2) I was brought up to show pregnant women some extra respect, simply because they are pregnant, and personally I think this is very important, mainly as a survival mechanism.
    I'm sure we all know that pregnancy is a difficult and stressful time both physically and mentally. I believe the people around the pregnant person should try whenever possible to minimise that stress.
    Fuzzy, I think taking Jaded Sapphire to task publicly like this is is a little over the top, especially as it's Strife's comments you're responding to.
    I'm not saying your point isn't valid or important, I'm not saying it shouldn't be voiced, and I'm not saying you're not right: I'm saying that there are other, better ways to communicate, such as in a less confrontational manner, perhaps through a PM.
    I'm not trying to impose my values upon you, just explaining why I think the way I do.

I realise this is the second time I've defended Jaded Sapphire, and I don't want to be seen as taking sides - I've barely exchanged posts with anyone mentioned above apart from Fuzzy, and I can honestly say I respect all of you.

CRC
  • I always thought a survey was a one-way deal. Questions are asked, and questions are answered. Normally there isn't a rebuttal section for somebody else to comment on your answers...not on any survey I've ever taken.

I shall return to fill out my survey after work tomorrow. Provided, of course, it isn't locked from being completely derailed by then. :-)

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Most Popular This Week