So I heard you like noobies?
  • someone does. The name is noobiegiver. And he has been handing out noobies like free samples at the grocery store. Anyways I would take the honor of banning this person/ip but I can't. I am sure it will be taken care of and noobies rolled back to a prior date or so, but no worries.
  • I'm new here so sorry for the noob question, (no pun intended) but is there something wrong with giving noobies?
  • Buffmaster said:
    I'm new here so sorry for the noob question, (no pun intended) but is there something wrong with giving noobies?

no, noobies are good, like applause for a good post, but the spamming of noobies for the purpose of inflating scores is. no offense, but i have no idea how you had 3 noobies earlier today, but now have over 100
  • to a degree that they are being given absolutely. We normally don't see much of an increase (unless your NT's lovechild like Mattson ;)) maybe 1 or two in a period. That period can be a day a week or a month depending on the skill level of the writer and how much they devote to a particular post. Noobies also get awarded for funny posts or just completing odd tasks (screenshot quiz comes to mind). The general idea behind them is that they are a reward for contributing back to noobtoob. And as a reward too much is not a good thing. Eating the entire plate of cookies is a sure fire way to get fat and not really a good reward. But a cookie every now and then is a treat.

I think that really sums it up. Who ever noobiegiver is, is at the least aware (by guilt or knowledge) that they shouldn't be doing it because they are using a guise. Someone truly bewilder to what they may have done would probably not create the handle otherwise. Anyways I am not pointing fingers at who that noobiegiver is, they know who they are and so do the admins.
  • quahgg said:
    to a degree that they are being given absolutely. We normally don't see much of an increase (unless your NT's lovechild like Mattson ;)) maybe 1 or two in a period. That period can be a day a week or a month depending on the skill level of the writer and how much they devote to a particular post. Noobies also get awarded for funny posts or just completing odd tasks (screenshot quiz comes to mind). The general idea behind them is that they are a reward for contributing back to noobtoob. And as a reward too much is not a good thing. Eating the entire plate of cookies is a sure fire way to get fat and not really a good reward. But a cookie every now and then is a treat.

I think that really sums it up. Who ever noobiegiver is, is at the least aware (by guilt or knowledge) that they shouldn't be doing it because they are using a guise. Someone truly bewilder to what they may have done would probably not create the handle otherwise. Anyways I am not pointing fingers at who that noobiegiver is, they know who they are and so do the admins.

Yeah, we'll be fixing this soon. First step is to remove all the noobies that were given by him, next up, compare ips against other accounts, and then some bannage.

It's a shame too, I kind of expected them to be abused at some point, but I didn't think it'd be like this. It's unfortunate.. I'd be spending time normally working on getting episode 49 out, but now have to deal with this garbage.

Yw
  • Damn him. But it explains how many noobies I got within 2 or 3 days. I hope he gets banned, and raped by the NoobToob....rapists. And we can laugh. All laugh.
  • Diet-Coke-Fatality said:
    Damn him. But it explains how many noobies I got within 2 or 3 days. I hope he gets banned, and raped by the NoobToob....rapists. And we can laugh. All laugh.

im laughing already at the idea of noobtoob rapists
  • Ok, found out who it was. Buffmaster started giving tons of noobies to mattson, then created noobiemaster to do the same to everyone else. I'm not sure how he got past the limiter we put in to only allow one per minute, but in either case he was awarding noobies to a bunch of people in a rapid fashion.

So anyhow, both accounts are now banned, and we're tracking IPs of all new people so we'll easily be able to ban the IP of anyone new who does this again. We've disabled the noobie system until we can clean up the scores again, but that may take some time since it's all in a log and we have to figure out how many to remove from each person.

Lastly, we need to beef up the code some more so we limit the number of noobies given in a certain time period, as well as limit the number that can be given a day. That, also will take some time so the noobie system will remain down until we can implement that.

It's a shame we had a dick ruin the noobie system this way, and now have to spend time protecting ourselves against it (as opposed to actually working on the show), but that's the price of getting bigger I suppose.

Anyhow, thanks for everyone who pointed this out!

Yw
  • yuzo said:
    Ok, found out who it was. Buffmaster started giving tons of noobies to mattson, then created noobiemaster to do the same to everyone else. I'm not sure how he got past the limiter we put in to only allow one per minute, but in either case he was awarding noobies to a bunch of people in a rapid fashion.

So anyhow, both accounts are now banned, and we're tracking IPs of all new people so we'll easily be able to ban the IP of anyone new who does this again. We've disabled the noobie system until we can clean up the scores again, but that may take some time since it's all in a log and we have to figure out how many to remove from each person.

Lastly, we need to beef up the code some more so we limit the number of noobies given in a certain time period, as well as limit the number that can be given a day. That, also will take some time so the noobie system will remain down until we can implement that.

It's a shame we had a dick ruin the noobie system this way, and now have to spend time protecting ourselves against it (as opposed to actually working on the show), but that's the price of getting bigger I suppose.

Anyhow, thanks for everyone who pointed this out!

Yw

do they get noobies? lol
  • Um can we all chill out please.

It sucks that he did it, and it even sucks that he created two other accounts to do it. And it sucks even more that someone had to ruin it for the rest temporarily.

HOWEVER, everyone makes mistakes and stupid choices in life and I am pretty sure that if everyone looks at their own mistakes they will be able to at least pick out 3 things that were alot more detrimental, harmful and/or stupid. So cut the kid/adult some slack. Perhaps it was a mistake... unlikely, but possible. Why not keep an eye on him and see if he learned his lesson.
  • Well, maybe you'd like to be the one who has to go through all the karma logs and hand edit everyone's noobie score back to the pre-spam levels? We could just say screw it and reset everyone's scores, but that's not fair to all the people that have done good things for this community. Buffmaster ruined that for everyone, and is now causing Raymond and I a number of hours making it so that it can't happen again.

So yeah, suffice it to say, banning is the least we could do.

Yw
  • Is it wrong that now I'm suddenly less inclined to make good posts because I know the reward system is down?

God, I didn't realise that I'm such a Noobie-whore!
  • <Omega2k3> WTFOMG
    <Omega2k3> EVERYONE GETTING 100 NOOBIESJESUS
    <Omega2k3> i think buffmaster did something gay

I said that right after I found out that everyone was getting noobied to the max. I figured it was him, since he said:
    Buffmaster said:
    lol you now have 100 noobies.

Also, because I'm awesome and just knew it.
  • You can just leave mine as-is. I don't want you to revert me back to my 63 noobies I used to have.
  • .. I don't think I'd mind at all. Long as I am stil on the forum, still writing stuff that nobody cares about. Plus, I had one noobie anyway, so it's all good 8)
  • he was taunting me last night through PM

I sent a message to him, "real men use scripts" and his response was: "the fuck is a script? sounds gay clicking is much easier."

he was probably 12.
  • So, in a way, this is all your fault :wink:
  • Jam Enslaver said:
    So, in a way, this is all your fault :wink:

old English font much?
  • I'm not entirely sure how to do that, plus the way I would have delivered that line if I were speaking would have been straight with a wink and a cheeky grin, rather than with the different stresses when you're being sarcastic.
  • Man, what a jackass.

People don't seem to realize that Yuzo and I have to do all this site stuff ourself, with Sloth's help. The noobie system was working great until he shat all over it.

Hopefully we can get noobies v2 up and running, a bit more securely.
  • Hell man, I hope it works for all of the best. I think we all realize, we all love Noobtoob man, and that guy who gaves us all quick easy noobies doesn't realize we like to earn our shit.

So don't worry, the Army's got your back. 8)
  • hey since you guys are working on the noobie system remember awhile back people were discussing if there was a way that you could see what posts you got a noobie for? Obviously not for the noobies already recieved but any future ones, I think it would help people to see what posts are good ones and they would then work more on the quality. Just an idea, the most important thing is to just get them working again and we all be happy
  • Tobin and Yuzo, theres another way you could keep them from mass noobieing a single person. Make it so that when they Noobie someone, they have to noobie like 5 or 6 other people before they can noobie that person again. Then you can also enstate the time limit between noobies given, which should dull down the abuse of the noobie system.
  • ...Maybe we should post suggestions to Yuzo and Tobin privately. Just saying.
  • Diet-Coke-Fatality said:
    ...Maybe we should post suggestions to Yuzo and Tobin privately. Just saying.

It's fine posting in the thread, we're keeping track of all suggestions but right now just limited by developer (i.e. raymond) time. We'll be getting the logs analyzed to find out how many points to remove from people (that were given by buffmaster), but we still need, at minimum, a protection mechanism in place before we turn it all back on.

Yw

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Most Popular This Week