Worst Controller EVER: Which one made your hands bleed?
  • Which controller did you know for a fact gave you some sort of hand disorder?

Notes:

I'm asking of which of the following in the poll was the worst controller. If I did not mention a controller up there then, if you want, mention it if you post.

The PC option means you thought using a keyboard to play a game was, in your opinion, a awkward experience.*

Wii has multiple controller options. :wink:

Try to consider the controller as a whole:

Does it respond well?
    Is it confortable to play with?
    Does it respond well to all games?( Racing, Fighting, Shooting, Platforming, etc.)
    Was there one key button that just ruined your gaming experience?( 360 d-pad or Gamecube B-button for example)
    Is the controller to small, too big, or too heavy?
    For the vintage controllers: Was the cord too short?
    Did the buttons get stuck often?
    Etc.
  • NES is easily thee worst controller in terms of comfort, with N64 in second. hell, nintendo fucking sucks at making controllers. the 360 controller was my worst experience though, the d-pad is god awful, and I'm sure no one will agree with me but I really don't like the letter buttons.
  • for me the dreamcast was purely different. and the peripherals to, especially the light gun. the dreamcast controller is weird cuz its so big, and the button ddefalt is so different or so many games, like a is to go back and fuckin x is the action button. da fuck! it was impossible playing resident evil, and house of the dead. th light gun has two triggers. ya know that little space that the trigger is in? well theres two triggers in that space.. one for one side of the finger, and the other for the nail. that was difficult. i think the NES controller is easily the most comfortable in my opinion, second to the xbox 360 and the genesis. the second uncomfortable would be the N64 and third snes, the controller would always slip out.
  • I am not a retro games the oldest console I own is the PSone.

I found the 360 controller had a longer adoption time for me, even the PSP felt controtable to me, the PS3 isn't bad but my constant play means it needs a clean. But the 360 felt wierd especially the uneveness of the sticks.
  • I gotta go with the keyboard... I've just never enjoyed playing games on it..
  • Strife315 said:
    I gotta go with the keyboard... I've just never enjoyed playing games on it..
    really? that's my favorite way to game, but I'm a bit of a mouse jockey
  • Despite it being my favourite console ever, I have to go with the N64 controller. Whilst it's far more comfortable to hold than, say, the Dualshock design, the analogue stick is a piece of crap that only lasts a couple of months usage before the lubricant starts leaking out and it becomes loose. Then there was the weird decision to make it impossible to use the D-pad and stick at the same time.

It wasn't all bad though. Next to the Mega Drive 6-button controller, the N64 trident has more thumb lines for the face buttons than any other controller, allowing you to easily hit three different combinations of two buttons.
  • i had to say Xbox controller, It was just so fucking bulky, you had to have the hands of a giant to fit your hands around the original.
  • Tonkatoy said:
    [quote=Strife315]I gotta go with the keyboard... I've just never enjoyed playing games on it..
    really? that's my favorite way to game, but I'm a bit of a mouse jockey[/quote]

I love the mouse.. I can't play an RTS without one.. maybe it's my keyboard but it's extremely painful to use for a number of hours... Plus I have to hunt and peck to find where the hell my F'N menu key is. I'm just not a PC gamer. I love a controller in my hands.
  • anyone remember the origional xbox controller? its literally bigger than a dreamcast console.
    the dreamcast one was a novel idea but without memory cards or rumble packs it was just too light, didnt lend itself to FPS(quake 3) or 2-D beat-em-ups (MVC2)
  • Oy, I just HAVE to go with the original PS1 controller... Yeeesh, I have never been all that good with playstation controllers, They just feel awkaward.
    The N64 werent all that bad.
  • Im going to say the first version PS1 controller... since I believe it came with either a controller without any analog sticks or one that has analog sticks. The controller without any analog sticks was just plain annoying.
  • I use 2 play a game it was some kind of track and feild game on n64. You had to mash together 2 of the yellow direction buttons rapidly and for a long time this remote Fed my hands up.
  • I loved the N64 controller, I liked the feel of it and it kicked ass for Goldeneye 007. No complaints for me, however I despised the Sega Genesis controller.
  • The Dreamcast D-Pad used to separate the men from the boys with its razor sharp edges, that was a great annoyance at first but my thumb got used to it eventually. I have to with the Sega Mega Drive/Gensis as the worst though, the shape of it was fucking dreadful.
  • Out of those, I'd have to say PC is up there pretty high, I don't really ever play games on the PC, and it's never really made me want to, so I'm really just not used to using the mouse. It just doesn't feel right.
    The gamecube is up there pretty high as well, the controller just never really felt comfortable to me. And the triggers were terrible.
    Also, I'm not a fan of the Wii, something that you have to move just kind of pisses me off. I just want to sit and hit buttons, not swing my controller all around.
  • N64 - was stick or d-pad. If the d-pad was removed completely it would have been great, had the best back trigger to date (if you used the stick). But since they gave you the option to use one or the other but not both.. it's crap.

very early psx controller - too small, didn't have a good feel and was very light

and the 360 being the worst - 360 controller isn't quite painful but it's really annoying and has to be the worst designed controller I've seen. Forces me to use the d-pad really as the lef analog is just REALLY awkwardly placed. The shape itself is a pain in the ass and difficult to get a firm grip on while you're doing shit with your thumbs. Weight distrabution isn't quite right if you want to use the d-pad, mix that with the shit grip and you'll find yourself in tears as the thing nearly falls out of your hands every 20 seconds.

Edit: just to shake things up a little... The first wireless explorer guitar controller for guitar hero. Never worked 70% of the time :?:
  • Strife315 said:
    [quote=Tonkatoy][quote=Strife315]I gotta go with the keyboard... I've just never enjoyed playing games on it..
    really? that's my favorite way to game, but I'm a bit of a mouse jockey[/quote]

I love the mouse.. I can't play an RTS without one.. maybe it's my keyboard but it's extremely painful to use for a number of hours... Plus I have to hunt and peck to find where the hell my F'N menu key is. I'm just not a PC gamer. I love a controller in my hands.[/quote] I've always been blessed with great keyboards I guess (G15/G5 combo launch models) mice are always tricky for me though, it takes atleast a month for me to break in a new mouse (I broke alot of mice in CAL-M for CSS, sponsered competitive gaming is probably thee worst job I've ever had, and it was only semi-pro)
  • Tonkatoy said:
    ... nintendo fucking sucks at making controllers.

Gotta strongly dissgree with you there - the Gamecube controller is the best of all the controllers listed (what, no joysticks?).

Having said that, I voted for the N64 as the worst on that list, it gave the user Nintenditis & had a propensity to break.

CRC
  • Why has no one mentioned Atari? I was like ten when the 2600 changed the world. That joystick sucked. So stiff, a little kid had to kung fu death grip the base with their non-dominant hand and still hit the button; while their good had wrestled the stick itself. That incredibly poor design is what eventually led to thumb sticks, a stable base is at least as important as the stick itself. The Coleco-giant-stick-of-self-defense was probably the first controller to figure that out. That thing looked like it was designed to break down doors for the DEA.

No wait, INTELEVISION! That disk was a lottery-of-direction! The number pad was fun for baseball, but that wobbly disk was hell on Earth! If you never used it, trust me, worst controller ever ever ever.

Historically, the NES controller led to the most disability. I remember when it was a regular event in the NBA for a player to be out with "Nintendo thumb". A blister on the shooting thumb from the D-pad makes it impossible to shoot.
  • the n64 controller is the worst on the list. The design was awful and the way the stick would rub against my thumb after playing goldeneye for two hours was not a fun experience.
  • CapnRedChops said:

Gotta strongly dissgree with you there - the Gamecube controller is the best of all the controllers listed

WHAT? too many paintballs to the head for you red. the gamecube is just to small and akward compared to the SNES, comfort & simplisity (compared to modern day multi-dpad controllers)
  • for me it is the n64 controller as i remember wanting the console but i went and tried it and the controller was so bad that it made change my decision and i got a sega saturn instead
  • The original Xbox controller. That thing was just way too big for it's own good, and a couple of the buttons were impossible to reach easily.
  • As much as I LOVED the N64, the joystick was soo painful. :( Second to that would have to be the Wiimote.. I hated the motion controls and that's why my Wii collects dust.
  • I vote Atari 5200 controller,but its not on there so i pick the game cube controller,It was meant to be a good action/adventure controller,which it was,but i failed miserably when you tried to play anything else.(even though the only really good games were action/adventure.)

oh and also.....
    NES is easily thee worst controller in terms of comfort, with N64 in second. hell, nintendo fucking sucks at making controllers. the 360 controller was my worst experience though, the d-pad is god awful, and I'm sure no one will agree with me but I really don't like the letter buttons.

....I agree with you(about the NES controller at least) but you have to put in perspective the time this controller was made so I don't think its worthy of being one of the worst controllers.Also the 360 controller is not really THAT bad,sure the d-pad sucks but its not used a lot (or at least not for big things like movement) most of the times it's used as an inventory or hot keys.Also I don't quite understand how you don't like the letters it's purely absurd i can't stand the playstation's shape layout ,it just makes things more confusing,and the letter keys on PC games feel weird to me mostly because i don't play a lot of games on my PC.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Most Popular This Week