Listener Homework: Getting Crackdown for the Halo 3 Beta?
  • This week's listener homework asks if you plan on getting Crackdown for the 360 just so you can get into the Halo 3 Beta. Also, feel free to post observations on the whole Halo phenomenon, and how you think the developers of Crackdown must feel about it.
  • First, I'd like to say Hi and say that I just stumbled upon your video/podcast two nights ago (sadly I had never checked out youtube.com until 2 nights ago) and thusly checked out your site and I totally dig it!

Second, I know it's kinda late but like I said I just found out about you guys and have been trying to catch up on your previous podcasts, but I'm an avid GoW player (now mostly on the weekends) and would love to play some games with you guys so you can either send and invite/friend request or msg me or however you like if you have the time and are down for some chainsaw action!

Third and to the reply of this thread.....I must say that I will be one of those that attempt to buy Crackdown solely for the chance to be a part of Halo 3 Beta. In my defense, I did dl the crackdown demo and give it a shot, but I really wasn't that impressed. I don't know what it was, but something about it just left me unimpressed. However, if I'm spending all that money on a game (and I'm somewhat of a gamerscore junky) then I will give it yet another shot.

The Halo phenom is mind boggling and at the same time this huge vaccum that sucks you in for the funnest, coolest, unexplainable addiction ride. I was pulled into the realm of halo when Halo 2 was released and my husband comes home and talks about how much he has heard about it from his friends (it being Halo 1) and how we should get it. Needless to say I took over the xbox and he played for a brief time with me and I've been going strong ever since.....Heck I've even pre-ordered the Legendary copy of Halo 3 this past November. My name is Ravyn and I am a Halo-aholic.

I would assume that for the develpers of Crackdown it's a bittersweet feeling about the Halo phenom. On one hand it must suck to know that a portion of their sales are going to be generated for the sole purpose of everyone playing someone elses game, however on that same token and key word, sales will still happen and thus money will generate which is always a big + for businesses. Also, there is a large probability that those that do buy solely for H3 (such as myself) will indeed play the game. So that's a tough one....if they are thinking only about money then they may be set; if they are thinking about product and following then it's a mushy-gray area.

Well I tihnk I've rambled enough on here......my apologies. Thanks again for the podcasts and I look forward to hearing/seeing more and hopefully getting the chance to play online with you and other noobtoob folllowers. Take care!

-Ravyn
  • I won't be getting it for the Halo 3 beta, but it'll be a nice bonus with Crackdown. I wouldn't have touched Crackdown usually, except the demo was very fun. This is the proper way for Xbox Live to function!
  • Hey there! Welcome to the community! Just curious, but when you stumbled, was it from any particular source? We're still trying to figure out what outlets have been working and most of the new folks have been coming in through Youtube lately..

RavynNightstorm said:
    Second, I know it's kinda late but like I said I just found out about you guys and have been trying to catch up on your previous podcasts, but I'm an avid GoW player (now mostly on the weekends) and would love to play some games with you guys so you can either send and invite/friend request or msg me or however you like if you have the time and are down for some chainsaw action!

Unfortunately it's been quite some time since we last played any GoW. We're sort of in that pack of 360 gamers that tends to move from game to game and Lost Planet was the one which got the most recent amount of ownage. I think Crackdown will be the next big one though it won't have anything beyond two player coop so that somewhat limits things. I know I'll be playing a bit more LP now to get past Tobin in gamerpoints, but my copy of GoW has gotten pretty dusty of late.

RavynNightstorm said:
    The Halo phenom is mind boggling and at the same time this huge vaccum that sucks you in for the funnest, coolest, unexplainable addiction ride. I was pulled into the realm of halo when Halo 2 was released and my husband comes home and talks about how much he has heard about it from his friends (it being Halo 1) and how we should get it. Needless to say I took over the xbox and he played for a brief time with me and I've been going strong ever since.....Heck I've even pre-ordered the Legendary copy of Halo 3 this past November. My name is Ravyn and I am a Halo-aholic.

I was hoping for one of the Halo faithful to chime in. If you check out the latest ep we're both a little confused about what the draw is. Especially when you compare the game itself against some of the games you find on PC. It'd be interesting to see what die hard fans really love about the game. Is it the game? Community? Teams?

RavynNightstorm said:
    Well I tihnk I've rambled enough on here......my apologies. Thanks again for the podcasts and I look forward to hearing/seeing more and hopefully getting the chance to play online with you and other noobtoob folllowers. Take care!
    -Ravyn

Glad to have ya here. I was a little shocked to see that we actually have any female listeners, especially considering how hardcore and geeky we tend to get about games. My fiancee doesn't really game at all no matter how much I try, and Tobin's GF seems to like to knit more than game, though she'll play GH from time to time. Hmm, that might make for an interesting culture topic sometime..

Anyhow, send out a friend request, and we'll look for ya online!

Yw
  • Well, if I had a 360, I'd definately get it =P

I've never really beena big fan of the Xbox, lol... Myself, I'm more of a PCGamer, who only touches a consle if there is a game I really really wanna play, ex. Super Smash Bros Brawl on the Wii... and everything else on the Wii...
  • Hey guys,

another new listerner here too. Found the show on Youtube while errhm... doing some surfing at work. I'm an old school gamer from Stockholm, Sweden. Your show is just awesome :) .

And as for the question, I'll get Crackdown and Ebay the beta haha. No, I am not feeling any excitement for the Halo series. Played Halo 1 on a friends Xbox and I was never understood how great it is and why people are so excited about the game. I always felt like I was missing some vital part of the whole concept, but it was refreshing to see the show and hearing you guys asking the same question. :)

Well, yes to Crackdown. As for the beta, sure if I get it I'll probably use it but I am not really that excited.

Cheers,

Wastegate
  • I also first found you guys on youtube a few weeks ago and just started posting. I asked my friend what the big deal is about Halo( he is all hardcore in it he even has a Halo doll thats right a frickin doll) and he couldnt give me a real answer. The best I got was "Its just the best that is why" I dont see it but then again diffrent strokes for diffrent folks.

On a side note I am going to get a 360 so I can get crackdown and after watching this show I was sold on the 360 by far. Now to save enough money
  • I think the halo beta key with crackdown has to be one of the best marketing ploys ever to fall into a developers lap. So the folks making crackdown are basically guaranteed a big seller and a wider audience and if they pull it off the game could be the start to many more and much more acceptance as a company. The next game APB (All Points Bulletin) is listed on their site and I suppose it will get more and better buzz if crackdown performs well.

http://www.realtimeworlds.com/index.php?id=383&pid=3[/url]
  • Batmonkey said:

On a side note I am going to get a 360 so I can get crackdown and after watching this show I was sold on the 360 by far. Now to save enough money

Better hurry up if you want in on the NoobToob point whoring contest!

On Feb 20th, the pain begins. The point competition will be insane.
  • I'm getting crackdown for crackdown. Halo 3 doesn't interest me as much as other people. The demo was killer and I can't wait.
  • I am a huge halo fan also, yet at the same time I usually play in weird phazes in whihc I play religiously for a few weeks, then I stop for a few months. I think its cause by the time my few weeks has been goin on Iv reached the level where I either kick the shit out of anyone im playing or I am geting the shitt kicked out of me by those freaks of halo out there that are like magicians with a xbox controller and the game halo2, i mean head shots every other time, im mean seriously thats not fun to play against. So while halo 3 is sounding cool, and i will definetly get it when the game comes out, if I get crackdown, which I prolly will, I am going to be way more excited about playing it than the beta multiplayer that comes with it.

I think that the main thing that yall dont understand it that, there is a fundamental differance between people who njoy playing on a computer and those who enjoy playing fps with a console, i mean yes I know a mouse is always more acurate, Im not disputing that, but when I play halo 2 I always have more fun than I do when I am playing a game like counterstrke, I dont know why, I just do, mabey it is because it feels liek when I am playing with a mouse, I am a lttle more detached from the gameplay than when I am playing on a console. On a console you can set up your controls to be however you wnat them, but the controller is more skill based, in that ou have to learn how to mannuver and shoot acuaralty with what is essentially a very unaccurate, in comparison, joystick/stick, that persoal player skill is part of the fun for me.

I would kinda compaer this to the fact that for a game like guitar heros you could have a gmae like that on the computer that used the keyboard keys gor the diferant notes you hit, but that would be so much more simple and boring than having to learn the intracicies of the actual guitar controller, I think that is prolly the main reason, I like console fps's better than computer ones.

Now on the oposite side of that note, I can not stand playing any knid of mmorpg on the xbox 360 I mean where the hell are my macros bitches, you cant play a hard rpg/mmorpg without macros I mean look at oblivion, it was a great rpg but it was not hard you didnt have to cast spells or anything if you were careful enough, but look at FFXI, if you dint have macros for the tons of difernat spellls you, or at least I, use I would never be able to get the intricate spellcasting multipiers or be able to work in a party effectively, o this is why at least until they make a keyboard and mouse setup, or at least a more complicated controller, to go with the xbox I dont think MMORPGS will ever be that great on them

Now this is just my opinion, if anyone cares to refute me I will definetly listen and if they igve some good evidence or a mmorpg game they have played on the 360 that was good and as complicated and intricate as computer ones, I am willing to change my mind, please make me change my mind, I really want to be alble to play a mmorpg on my 360 :!:
  • Hey there! Welcome to the community! Just curious, but when you stumbled, was it from any particular source?

Thanks! I pretty much stumbled onto your show(s) through youtube and from there I went to your web site to catch the archive of podcasts. Sadly, the day I stumbled upon it is the first time I've visited youtube. Yes I know, how could I possibly do that??? But I really never did visit the site before that until I was in this training course(s) for my new job where I'm actually in front of a computer and during downtime everyone else is on youtube or myspace.

Unfortunately it's been quite some time since we last played any GoW. We're sort of in that pack of 360 gamers that tends to move from game to game

I can totally understand the moving from game to game, especially with your show and podcast, however that's a bummer to not get the chance to play. BUT I'm sure there will be time when the possibility can arrise so I will definitely send FR's out this weekend.

It'd be interesting to see what die hard fans really love about the game. Is it the game? Community? Teams?

For me I enjoy the multiplayer of halo2. Sure I don't enjoy the CONSTANT trash talk and cheating, but I find it very enjoyable to get in the game with my friends and "shoot faces". While the campaign was fun, it wasn't enough to keep my attention for long periods of time.

Glad to have ya here. I was a little shocked to see that we actually have any female listeners, especially considering how hardcore and geeky we tend to get about games.

Hahaha thanks, but I can get pretty hardcore myself and geeky about things as well. I guess I'm (along with many other female gamers) are the few % of females that do enjoy video games and actually get engulfed in play. Ever since I had an atari I've always been into gaming in one way or another.

Hmm, that might make for an interesting culture topic sometime..

Actually I'd like to see replies/responses to that culture topic. I always laugh at the common "culture stereotypes" of female gamers that come up during my online play so I'd be interested to see written replies on it here.

Thanks again and friend requests will def. go out. Take care and look forward to play and broadcasts!

-Ravyn
  • RayvnNighstorm said:
    First, I'd like to say Hi and say that I just stumbled upon your video/podcast two nights

ago (sadly I had never checked out youtube.com until 2 nights ago) and thusly checked out your site and I totally

dig it!

Welcome to the NoobToob forums !
    I`m glad your liking the podcast as much as the rest of us are .
    Should you find yourself in the need for more Noob Toobage feel free to check out the older podcasts wich didnt have

video yet , they are still worth listening too !

RayvnNighstorm said:
    down for some chainsaw action!

Yay ! I have been longing to get back to GoW after I`ve played lost planet multiplayer to death.
    Especially with the new & free map pack !
    I`m also down for some GoW co-op .. need to beat Yuzo & tobin with the achievement points *grins*
    My gamertag as seen in my sig is "harl0ck"

Yuzo said:
    We're sort of in that pack of 360 gamers that tends to move from game to game and Lost Planet was the

one which got the most recent amount of ownage.

I have found myself cought up in that circle too and I`m ashamed to say that the game I own in my X360 collection
    that I`ve played the least ? Is capcom`s dead Rising .
    I played it for about 3 hours TOPS .
    Thats a crime in itself and I`m guilty for it .
    Now that the hyped has downed for say Lost Planet I`m going back to the games I neglected.

RayvnNighstorm said:
    Well I tihnk I've rambled enough on here......my apologies.

Hehe , nobody writes up longer posts then I do .. nobody :)

WasteGate said:
    And as for the question, I'll get Crackdown and Ebay the beta haha

LOL !! Opposite direction I love that

Tobin said:

Oh yes .. ohoo yes .. Dude after playing the crackdown demo .
    I was feelign a bit let down .
    Like Rayvn , I just wasnt that impressed and to me the reason was that the game was way too easy
    I could just masacre people left and right without being opposed in any way .
    Sure , if you put it on the hardest difficulty it gets harder as you got 50 people on every street
    with automatic weapons pointed at you .
    But that`s the other extreme off too easy , your constantly dodging bullets that your not freely
    exploring every nook and cranny of the city with zen , so that also doesnt become fun as the diffuclty
    is only defined by upping the amount of enemies to as much as the 360 can render . A big boo on that .

HOWEVER I deceided to get Crackdown JUST so I can put you guys down once and for all points-wise :P

I will stock up foods and supplies , import KOrean drugs to stay awake for 72 hour gaming sessions and buy
    a spare microwave !
    To victory !

DougerusG said:
    I think the halo beta key with crackdown has to be one of the best marketing ploys ever to fall

into a developers lap.

Yes and no .
    This is the same as Konami`s bundled MGS2 demo with Zone of the Enders back on the PS2 .
    8/10 of the people would buy ZOE just for the MGS2 demo , a day later you`d have ZOE discs without MGS2 demo`s on

Ebay and other sites like that .

You as a developer offcourse have the goal (well it should) to make a fun game that people want to buy.
    That -enough- people want to buy so you dont starve to death with your family .
    Here`s the problem tough .
    Crackdown will see a big spurt of people who purchase the first wave of the game and a really really big percentage

of those purchases will solely be for the HAlo 3 beta , in my eyes and backed up I G N (rofl) Crackdown

istn a system seller like GoW or Halo 2/3 is .
    So when people use up the Halo 3 beta and put their crackdown games on Ebay and what not sites then the peopel who`d

wanna buy crackdown for just crackdown will simply buy them second hand in pristine condition for alot softer price.
    Yes .. that means the sales of crackdown WILL crackingly come down after possibly even the first week .

2nd hand circulation can be a dangerous thing for sales figures and the market.
    As a matter of fact a year or two ago , Japan put laws in place that countered the second hand market of electronics

simply because people kept them in prinstine condition and the products kept circulating so that a large percentage

of people wouldnt buy new products or saw the need for that .

Offcourse you still have teenagers who buy Keitai` ( cellphones ) by the month and what not :)
    Funny how that country has two such extreme`s at the same time .

SO YES . I think the Crackdown developers arent thaaaaat happy with M$ bundling Halo 3 Beta since
    their sales figures are corrupted and with the already mediocore reviews out there not helping them much either.

Cridec said:
    some good evidence or a mmorpg game they have played on the 360 that was good and as complicated and

intricate as computer ones

Nobody can give you that .
    Simply cause FF XI is the only MMORPG out on the X360 and thats not a cool MMORPG.

That and M$ is still being super biased about you putting 3rd party hardware on your X360 and letting it be able to

interface with them such as keyboards and mic are a big BIG let down for MMORPG`s and RTS on the console .
    I mean sure you wont be able to use mouse + keyboard in say GoW or some FPS cause teh game isnt programmed to accept

keyboard input and mapping .
    But at least open up the USB functionality more and let RTS / MMORPG developers use freaking keyboard input as you

would on the PC .

Cridec said:
    On a console you can set up your controls to be however you wnat them, but the controller is more

skill based, in that ou have to learn how to mannuver and shoot acuaralty

I highly -highly- disagree with you on this .

Sure it takes skill to do constant headshots with a controller.
    But so is it on the mouse and the different versions of hardware you can get.
    It took me two.. yes two years to be able to "normally" use a marble mouse at the same level of a regular mouse.
    After that , I got more and more into it , and inheriently you can move around faster with a trackball then a

regular mouse .
    So after those two years of mastering teh freaking thing I started to become *REALLY* good .
    I`m still using a two button trackball .
    No fancy 9 button G7 with laser tech and macro-programmable buttons or insta sensitivity profile selections
    not even a scroll wheel .

And you cant customise your controls on a PC to your liking ?
    A good percentage of console games doesnt let you configure the controls .
    And even if they do , mostly its just picking between alot of scemes THEY tought up .
    I have had a really nice sceme for Halo 2 in mind wich bothered me since day one .
    BUt I cant reconfigure the controls to what I would love them to be thanks to their scemes/profiles.
    Urgh.
  • gwenster said:
    Crackdown istn a system seller like GoW or Halo 2/3 is . So when people use up the Halo 3 beta and put their crackdown games on Ebay and what not sites then the peopel who`d wanna buy crackdown for just crackdown will simply buy them second hand in pristine condition for alot softer price. Yes .. that means the sales of crackdown WILL crackingly come down after possibly even the first week .

Actually, it looks like they're going to tie the Halo 3 beta with the crackdown disc somehow so that you won't be able to play the beta without it. Something like there's an actual menu item within Crackdown which says Get the Demo. This will probably go to combat things like the ebay selling and people getting the game through rentals, but it makes a lot of sense.

gwenster said:
    Nobody can give you that. Simply cause FF XI is the only MMORPG out on the X360 and thats not a cool MMORPG.

Actually, there's also Phantasy Star Universe, but it too, isn't very good.

I don't think you'll see anything on the order of an MMO like WoW on consoles for some time. They still haven't quite cracked the code yet like they've done with FPS's to be a truly compelling experience. I have little faith you'll be able to see a proper sword and scorcery styled MMO done in the near future, but I'm really impressed by games like Chromehounds with their persistent world. It'll be games like that that introduce the mainstream audience to what MMO's are truly capable of.

Yw
  • yuzo said:

Actually, it looks like they're going to tie the Halo 3 beta with the crackdown disc somehow so that you won't be able to play the beta without it.

Now THAT is fucking brilliant .

yuzo said:

Actually, there's also Phantasy Star Universe, but it too, isn't very good.

Crap ! I forgot ALL About that .
    I musta erased it from my mind cause the beta experiene was too scarring :(

yuzo said:
    I don't think you'll see anything on the order of an MMO like WoW on consoles for some time. They still haven't quite cracked the code yet like they've done with FPS's

Amen brother .
  • Sad, now i really am gonna hav to get a new computer, there goes a few grand, as soons as I get a job that is lol
  • I pre-ordered crack down just now from play .
    Knowing the people I bought it from , from alot of previous experiences.
    I `ll have it in my house , in my 360 at least one day if not usually two before the release date wich should hopefully give me a heads start
    in the coming apocolypse of the point wars .

And yes , I only bought crack down cause i`m going to F*CKING POINT WHORE YOU B*TCHES INTO THE **** *** AND ****

LOL . Here`s a culture topic discussion for ya .

" Is buying a Xbox360 game solely for the purpose of point whoring , a wise / socially accepted thing to do ? "
  • More crackdown love. The full set of achievements has been posted!

http://www.achieve360points.com/game/crackdown/

Some of those are going to be fun to try and get..

19. Base Jumper - Jump from the top of the Agency Tower and land in the water below.
    23. Repo Man - Commandeer 100 gang-controlled vehicles.
    39. Chain Banger - Blow up 100 explosive objects in 60 seconds.

And of course, the requisite hi def video showing them off here:

http://news.teamxbox.com/xbox/12679/Crackdown-Achievements-Trailer-in-High-Definition/

MAN! I can't wait till Feb 20th!!!
  • about the original question... OF COARSE I WOULD GET CRACKDOWN FOR HALO 3. i missed all other ways to get the beta, so this would be my last chance
  • gwenster said:

LOL . Here`s a culture topic discussion for ya .

" Is buying a Xbox360 game solely for the purpose of point whoring , a wise / socially accepted thing to do ? "

Hah, you know my answer to that question.

I'm a filthy point whore.

Open Season baby.
  • well halo doesn't do it 4 me, but you guys and the trailer have convinced me to get this, which in turn means it's time to get xbox live. See ya on on game hopefully.
  • To answer your question, no, I am considering buying Crackdown on the strength of the demo, but I'm not bothered about Halo 3 MP.

I've really tried to get into Halo 1, 2 and now 3 online. (I'm on the closed Beta)
    The trouble is, I'm an FPS fan. A hardcore FPS fan. That means the PC rules hands down in this genre still and I can't see that changing any time soon. Don't get me wrong, I have a high desire for Halo 3, but for me it'll be for the single player story, action, AI, graphics, music and every part of it which I'm sure will ooze of high quality.

Let me state this... if you are a Halo 2 multiplayer fan, you are going to love H3. If you don't like 1 and 2 online you won't like 3.
    I agree with the NoobToob Crackdown episode and their views on Halo online.
  • i played the crackdown demo and while its fun for a quick blast i cant see much long term appeal in it,i dont think i will be buying it.
  • I'm totally not getting crackdown, i really didn't like the demo. You should only pay 60$ for a game if it's going to melt your face off. The fighting is dumb, the same reason i didn't like GTA ; you just hold target and lock-on and hold it until the guy is dead. Then the melee is just an animation of your guy kicking. The RPG element isn't that complex, i rather just play an rpg like oblivion "wow i can pick cars up now to throw at the indescriminate gangs". I feels like a budget title even if it was the demo.
    I don't think halo3 is going to be that amazing, I doubt they can top what GOW has already done. They'll think that innovation will be just adding features and vehicles to halo2. Was halo2 that amazing? no but people said it was, like it was required to say so because it's halo. I'm just going to treat halo3 like any other game; i'll read metacritic then rent it if the reviews are good. If i like it when i rent it then ill buy it.
  • Better hurry up if you want in on the NoobToob point whoring contest!

Is that a contest just for crackdown or overall gamerscore (I'm sure if I look in the other forums it will say....I'm still trying to catch up as a new member! :) )
  • RavynNightstorm said:

Is that a contest just for crackdown or overall gamerscore (I'm sure if I look in the other forums it will say....I'm still trying to catch up as a new member! :) )

It`s a point contest for achievement points in Crackdown .
    There`s also one going for Lost Planet wich Yuzo has been dominating for a few days now .

When the next big game hits , we`ll all "point whore" that one too .
    It`s actually funny , cause sititng behind your 360 for those extra late hours just to go and post that you just beat X person
    on the forum by taking the lead *smiles*
    It actually makes us want to play the game more and perfect playing it .

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion