Episode #014 - 10/10/2006
  • Discuss this weeks episode here!

I'm curious, but what did people think of the sound quality? We changed things up a lot this episode so I want to make sure it's heading in a positive direction..

Yw
  • Battlefield group + headphones = awesome. D= Can I join?

I think with Valkyrie Profile 2 you need to play a bit every now and then to enjoy it. My first gaming session with it turned out quite dull and detached, but after a while, I went back and it started becoming ok~ =D Not as good as number 1 though.

The sound quality is alright. I'm used to the usb headphones, lol.
  • I was thinking about famous American gamers from a while back, and Thresh immediately came to mind. Remember him?

More generally, check out this article for more on "electronic sports."

Yikes - who came up with that one?
  • Good episode...though I'm scared about a possible video podcast in the future. From the way you were previously talking about the xbox live camera, wouldn't it just be an hour long video of Tobin's balls?
  • misere said:
    Good episode...though I'm scared about a possible video podcast in the future. From the way you were previously talking about the xbox live camera, wouldn't it just be an hour long video of Tobin's balls?

I fail to see the problem. Don't you think people would tune in to an hour long podcast of my glorious sack?

Oh and Sloth, if you want some BF2 action, Yuzo might be able to hook you up. He and his brothers have a crew that seems to play semi-regularly. You won't catch me playing Battlefield unless you've got a blackmail video of me with underage girls.
  • Hey guys,
    Great show.
    I just wanted to clarify that(although my last post may have indicated) that I am by no means a fanboy.
    I actually own a PSP, a DS, an Xbox, An Xbox 360, a PS2, a Gamecube, and a dreamcast.
    You were, however correct in assuming that I was trying to justify my purchase of my PSP.
    I mostly bought it because I'm a terrible graphics whore.
    Any Sony fanboyism I may have had is quickly fading in light of the fact that Ken Kuteragi(SP?) wears a helmet and eats crayons.

Here's an interesting thought.
    The Blue Ray/HD-DVD war has begun, and will be decided by the public the same way VHS/Betamax was resolved.
    I do however think that Microsoft is on the right track by adopting neither of them for games. Here's why:
    Microsoft has been developing some impressive compression tools to squeeze more information onto smaller capacity disks. (They can fit 1GB of textures into a 54MB game.)
    Sony, by using the larger capacity format seems to be setting us up for more horrendous load times. (I'm looking at you PS2.)

Any thoughts?

P.S. Thanks for the mention on the show. (It was nice to get my Nerd on, on the drive home from work.)
  • JillyDad said:
    Microsoft has been developing some impressive compression tools to squeeze more information onto smaller capacity disks. (They can fit 1GB of textures into a 54MB game.)
    Sony, by using the larger capacity format seems to be setting us up for more horrendous load times. (I'm looking at you PS2.)

Any thoughts?

Whoa, that's heaps good for microsoft then. But wouldn't it take time to decompress or extract as well? x_o I dunno, I'm noob at all this... >_<!
  • Hey guys, great show as always. Just wanted to comment on a few things =)

Shin Megami Tensei (not Taisen): Devil Summoner is a great game. While it is a departure from the main megaten series (which is my second favorite series ever) with it’s combat style (first game in the long running series not to have turn-based combat), it is a indeed a great game and you should check it out if you love RPG's. It is nowhere near as hard as the earlier entries (which are some of the hardest RPG's in existence) so it is a good first jump into the series.

The Tales series is another great series and if you have never played any of them, check out Tales of Phantasia or Tales of Symphonia.

As far as God Hand, I have had the Japanese import for a couple of weeks and hate it. I bought it on faith in Clover (as I LOVED Okami and Viewtiful Joe), but was sorely disappointed. The controls are extremely clunky and the game is cheap hard (like old school NES Ninja Gaiden) with the fact that you cannot block, the enemies hit hard, fast and often get in cheap hits. I do not suck at those kinds of games either as I have beaten DMC3 and Ninja Gaiden Black. Granted, some of these may have been changed for the US release, but I doubt it was changed significantly.

As far as Korean Gaming - the newest issue of Gamers Quarter has a good article on it. I have read a number of great articles on it over the years, but unfortunately, I don't remember them. I know the Gamers Quarter one as it was the most recent. I am pretty sure the Escapist has some articles on it as well.
  • Jakanden said:

Shin Megami Tensei (not Taisen): Devil Summoner is a great game.

The Tales series is another great series and if you have never played any of them, check out Tales of Phantasia or Tales of Symphonia.

What sucks is none of the PS3 games we talked about are available for rent at Blockbuster so we're not going to be able to play them (nor talk about them) in time for next episodes recording. We _seriously_ need to start looking into getting pre-release copies :).

So far it's looking like a bunch of XBL demos (incl Phantasy Star Universe), and maybe the PC version of Devil May Cry 3. Not much else got released last week that was very interesting. And after that I'm in Japan for two weeks so it'll be mostly Tobin talking about playing Bully and other great releases. Fun fun.

Yw
  • JillyDad said:

I do however think that Microsoft is on the right track by adopting neither of them for games.

Any thoughts?

I dunno, since they're releasing the HD-DVD attachment real soon now, I think it will only take a short amount of time before they release a re-designed 360 with the HD-DVD built in. And a short time after that, someone will want to release a game that is so huge (the next elder scrolls perhaps) that will scream for being HD-DVD only.

All it takes is for the installed base of HD-DVD + 360 to get big enough for some developer to decide to make a game for it that needs the space.

On the flip side, everyone's heading towards digital distribution so the whole format war will be moot within 3-5 years.

JillyDad said:

P.S. Thanks for the mention on the show. (It was nice to get my Nerd on, on the drive home from work.)

Man, I hope you weren't using your PSP to listen and have to pause or something.. There's a london bus driver who got busted for that not too long ago :)

Yw
  • yuzo said:
    [quote=Jakanden]
    Shin Megami Tensei (not Taisen): Devil Summoner is a great game.

What sucks is none of the PS3 games we talked about are available for rent at Blockbuster so we're not going to be able to play them (nor talk about them) in time for next episodes recording. We _seriously_ need to start looking into getting pre-release copies :).

So far it's looking like a bunch of XBL demos (incl Phantasy Star Universe), and maybe the PC version of Devil May Cry 3. Not much else got released last week that was very interesting. And after that I'm in Japan for two weeks so it'll be mostly Tobin talking about playing Bully and other great releases. Fun fun.

Yw[/quote]

I assume you mean PS2 heh. I actually bought SMT on day 1 as I have never been disappointed by the series and this one is no exception. Additionally, Altus is notorious for low runs so the games tend to be hard to get later on.

I am about 10 hours in so far and would be further but I am also replaying Shenmue (since I just finished Yakuza, it made me want to go back and play it) so I am dividing my time between the them.

Have fun in Japan as it is a great place. I will be there again myself this spring =)
  • Yuzo, did you ever tell us how to get a cheap 360? You mentioned something early in the pod cast. I could use a second 360...
  • mediaboy said:
    Yuzo, did you ever tell us how to get a cheap 360? You mentioned something early in the pod cast. I could use a second 360...

Yeah, sorry.. I was a total dork and didn't write down the fact that I wanted to mention it in the show notes, so it just went on by.

We talk about it in ep15 which we just finished recording, but until the show gets posted, here's the original link I found:

http://www.consumerist.com/consumer/outpost/get-a-sweet-xbox360-bundle-this-weekend-206186.php

Unfortunately, someone was dishing out bogus info, so it's probably good that I didn't mention it :). The real deal on the website turns out to be not as good, but still pretty decent:

http://shop4.outpost.com/product/5017865

360 Premium w/ dead rising, saints row, and test drive for $450

Yw
  • yuzo said:
    [quote=JillyDad]
    I do however think that Microsoft is on the right track by adopting neither of them for games.

Any thoughts?

I dunno, since they're releasing the HD-DVD attachment real soon now, I think it will only take a short amount of time before they release a re-designed 360 with the HD-DVD built in. And a short time after that, someone will want to release a game that is so huge (the next elder scrolls perhaps) that will scream for being HD-DVD only.

All it takes is for the installed base of HD-DVD + 360 to get big enough for some developer to decide to make a game for it that needs the space.

On the flip side, everyone's heading towards digital distribution so the whole format war will be moot within 3-5 years.

JillyDad said:

Man, I hope you weren't using your PSP to listen and have to pause or something.. There's a london bus driver who got busted for that not too long ago :)

Yw[/quote]Your point about digital distibution seems to solidify my point that compression is the key to success.
    Would you really want to download 54gb or 9gb?

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Most Popular This Week