Listener Homework: What's the hardest boss you ever fought?
  • Woot, another week, another listener homework. This one comes from the master of questions, Sunflower4k again. We should name him the headmaster and have him make these posts :).

Sunflower4k said:
    What are some of the hardest bosses you've ever fought in a game? I'm not talking some optional side-questy type of boss, I'm talking about someone in the main game that just shut you the fuck down. Did you ever conquer this boss? And how did you feel afterwards?

You guys have been doing great with the homework assignments so far. Lots of insightful pieces and very few one liner responses. You know the rules, 250 words or more, and extra credit for the oldest recollection.

Yw
  • Hardest boss. Hmmm, there are loads.

Maybe Sephy from FF7? Or....Legend of Dragoon Final Bosses...x.x
  • theres never rly been a boss i cant beat but most of the hardest ones are in Rpg's but i would probley say most of the bosses in ninja gaiden as that whole game was super hard
  • uh im not sure about the hardest boss ive ever fought because well i dont remember them anyways what i do remember is that i would try over and over to beat it then once i did beat that boss it didnt feel so great cuz just wasted all that time maybe a few hours or so just beating one boss then have another level after it and just die then i quit the game until something makes me wanna play it and kick that bosses ass
  • Simple...Mike Tyson in Punch-Out!! Still can't beat him. Another hard boss is Sephiroth in Kingdom Hearts 1 & 2.
  • I have 3,

The first one- Icon of Sin (DOOM 2, PC)

God, I hated that guy-- thing... When I used to play it, I could never kill the thing. Becuase your ment to run up onto the platform, when its down, and it will raise you up to it, and you hit it with the biggest gun possiable. Right? Well, on Nightmare, its a PAIN in the ass. I must have played that level like 50 or 60 times, before I finally toke that soon of a beatch.

The second one- The entire last level :P (Medievil, Playstation 1)

If you guys have played this level on a high skill level, you'll know what I mean. If you haven't played it before basically, what you have to do is this-

Theres a massive battle going on, between, your men, and the final bosses guards. So what you have to do is, run around the battlefield, and when you see an injured soldier, you have to hit him with a lightening bolt that gives him back his health, but drains yours.
    It takes you to like 2 bars of health left, and you go into the final fight, which is a 1 on 1 battle with the main guy. And he is really, REALLY, hard to kill.

Third and final (for the moment)- Big Smoke (Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas)

Actually, its not Big Smoke, its the entire damned level.

*For you that haven't played it, go get something to eat, and come back after my post is finished to avoid BIG, spoiler. :P*

What you have to do is drive to a crack den, steal a SWAT Tank, then break into the den.
    Once your in, you fight your way to level 3-or-4, can't really remember, then fight Big Smoke, after you kill him,
    the Den goes on fire, you then have 10 minutes to backtrack, killing about 50 people, while using Night-vision, if you dont get out in time, it blows up.

Once your out, you grab a car chase after a firetruck, save your friend by judging something (miss by an inch, you fail)
    Then you get a gun, and have to hold off a load of Gang members, and Police officers.

Grr... Don't know how long that toke me...
  • all that i can think of at the moment is fighting general ramm in gears of war and the shai gen kingpin in crackdown (i only found it hard because of having to climb the tower to get to him. the actual fight was easy).
  • That Big Smoke fight was hard as hell, I remember cursing it repeatedly! Damn you Big Smoke!

Toughest boss I ever fought, and defeated? Maybe time is working against me and it's easy nowadays, but I had a lot of trouble with Jaquio in Ninja Gaiden for the NES. However, since it was so long ago, I can't remember if it was the boss itself that was hard, or if it was the process of getting to him that was impossible. Any NES Ninja Gaiden players will remember...the journey is HELL, especially after the third stage. Thing was, you knew the game was fucking hard, because the controls weren't shit. Man, those were the days. An 8 year old trying to beat Ninja Gaiden, and succeeding. These days, that'd be worth something, right?

Another pain in the ass I had, and it's been since it's release that I played it last, but...and I know a lot of you will laugh at me, but the last boss in FF8, Ultimecia (I think was it's name.) I admittedly half-assed the last area and didn't get all my powers back, and then saved before the fight, and got smashed. Then I grabbed my Gameshark, and cheated, and STILL FAILED. At that point, I just plain gave up, and have never beaten the game. Nowadays, the cutscenes and dialogue are too much for me to want to even give the game another shot, even though I have fond memories of it.

I feel you on the Mike Tyson's Punch-Out boss. If Mike winked at you, you were almost guaranteed to go down in seconds.

Shao Kahn from MK3 in the arcades was almost unstoppable. It took me until the Xbox 360 of UMK3 for me to beat him--hundreds of continues later. :)

Rugal from King of Fighters (the mid-90s ones) was almost impossible. That fucker was ridiculous, using his way overpowered moves to abuse the piss out of you no matter what you did. Never mind his Genocide Cutter was like a half-screen dragon punch...Also, Goenitz in KOF96, in the arcades, will mercilessly pound you.

I'd never forget the abuse suffered at the hands of the entire game of Contra: Shattered Soldier. That one really put you through the wringer, all throughout the game. Damn you, Red Falcon! I feel this game was harder than the original Contra, which was no slouch.

I had a lot of trouble with Devil May Cry 1's Nightmare boss, but I think that one was because I was lazy. If someone else had trouble with it, then I'll understand it wasn't just me--other people are lazy too. :)

For the toughest one ever, though? I'm still working on him...It's called Jordan on Expert, from Guitar Hero 2. :)
  • i would have to say ultimecia from ff8...still havent beaten her
  • The toughest boss I ever defeated was Mecha Ridley in Metroid Prime. It took me at least 20 goes to kill him, and at one point I got so frustrated that I stopped playing the game for about 3 months. Eventually I did beat him though, only to be confronted with...

The hardest boss I've ever encountered: The Metroid Prime. Having spent so much time on Ridley, I never really gave this one a chance, but I could tell that it was about a million times harder. It tore through me and I hardly did any damage at all.

Bastard.
  • Oh, now tha tI think about it, Duke from KOF: Maximum Inpact.

First, you should know, SNK characters(Especaiily bosses) are known for their crazy strenght and dificulty.

Now, this is how it goes!

Starts off with a Max Power Gauge
    FIGHT!
    Duke: Dodge This!!(Ground Zero is his attack)
    Takes half my health
    Duke: Dodge This!!
    Dead.

It literally takes like half the battle field.
  • Jam Enslaver said:
    The toughest boss I ever defeated was Mecha Ridley in Metroid Prime. It took me at least 20 goes to kill him, and at one point I got so frustrated that I stopped playing the game for about 3 months. Eventually I did beat him though, only to be confronted with...

The hardest boss I've ever encountered: The Metroid Prime. Having spent so much time on Ridley, I never really gave this one a chance, but I could tell that it was about a million times harder. It tore through me and I hardly did any damage at all.

Bastard.

holy jesus, I forgot about that one. I never did beat that fucking game, and I'm at the SAME damn place you are/were. Fuck that metroid! I can see it being doable but I just...can't do it.
  • CerberusXD said:
    Oh, now tha tI think about it, Duke from KOF: Maximum Inpact.

First, you should know, SNK characters(Especaiily bosses) are known for their crazy strenght and dificulty.

Now, this is how it goes!

Starts off with a Max Power Gauge
    FIGHT!
    Duke: Dodge This!!(Ground Zero is his attack)
    Takes half my health
    Duke: Dodge This!!
    Dead.

It literally takes like half the battle field.

Oh fuck yes, he was a pain. Sometimes you can semi-glitch him where he just eats every attack. I considered him on my list but being able to wear him out like that was too much of a good thing, and he's definitely beatable...

His bullshit though. "EEEAT BRUAWWWWWWWWWWW EEEAT BRAWWWW DUST CHILDREN DARK CROUTON DODGE THIS" etc etc...it was rough. I found that the very beginning his does his like 10 hit combo, so a hop over him gives you a small chance.

Let's not forget that his SUPERS ARE UNBLOCKABLE. And he likes to STACK THEM.

Only SNK fans know this pain. :)
  • latest bosses which drove me to insanity would have to be...

1. God of War II
    a) Thesius on Titan
    fucking prick. I put 4 hours into this guy before I beat him. The rest of the game (until my next point) was EASY in comparison to that battle.
    b) The first translator on Titan
    'Nuff said

2. Lost Planet: Extreme Condition
    a) The Worm
    I just never knew that when he went underground he was DEFEATED. I played that boss for a good few hours before I realized he just keeps respawning :P
    b) The boss of level 1 on EXTREME level of difficulty
    I haven't done this one yet, but I've put too many hours in it to count.
  • Yeah, I haen't played that game in a while though, but yeah, he did have that crazy combo! I remember one time I had him almost dead and thenn I go for a grab B4 he can do Ground Zero...

"DON'T MESS WITH ME!!"

WTF!!!!!!!!!!!
  • I would have to say the hardest boss I ever fought was in My favorite game, Final Fantasy 7. At the end of/near the end you fight Sephiroth, Not once, not twice but three times. The third times is fucking easy and cannot lose but the work up to that is fucking hard. You have to first go though Bizzaro Sephiroth, who was a bitch for he had multiple parts and i couldn't figure out what to do but once I did I finished him. The next boss was even harder, cause he would use SUPERNOVA. It's a move that would explode the sun and engulf all your characters and leave them empty and hallow inside :). I hate that move, wish I could use it on him instead. Anyways after finally killing him within two hours of battling, you come up to the final fight with Sephiroth face to face. You cannot lose this match cause you will automatically use Onmislash and kill him with one hit. As you can see I love Final fantasy 7 and know pretty much everything about it.
    Anyways Cya

P.S. The first time around I cheated with a exploit in the game and got many Mega Elixirs for FREE. After that I than beat it again couple years later without the exploit. :)
  • Jam Enslaver said:
    The toughest boss I ever defeated was Mecha Ridley in Metroid Prime. It took me at least 20 goes to kill him, and at one point I got so frustrated that I stopped playing the game for about 3 months. Eventually I did beat him though, only to be confronted with...

Bastard.

i bet them both on hard and normal but MP2 boost guardian is a whole different story
  • God damn i gotta say, pick normal-hard difficulty on Devil may cry, pick a boss that requires being able to see....god i hated the camera angles for most of the fights. The boss was hard to start with and then add in the fact that half the time you can't see what he's doing....

As for FF7, it was all luck Vs seph, if he did the 1hp spell then an AoE you died. didn't matter what lvl you were, i beat him 2nd attempt with lvl 47's first time thru....

I got some powers back on FF8 but went on holiday and never attempted the last boss :( i started playing it again last week, 13hours in now, using a walkthrough this time, i want to get all the cards lol. And i swear, i didn't realise how much secret stuff i'd done 1st time thru, just from being curious rofl!
  • The hardest boss to defeat for me, was always in an RPG game.
    You always fight it and say to yourself, "Fuck, I shoulda level'd alittle more."

Anyways, the Boss for me would have to be "Dullahan", from Golden Sun: The Lost Age.
    The one on GBA.

It's the greatest summon that you obtain once you defeat him, but, the hard part is defeating him...

I'll assume you're all familiar with the game.
    Even with my 70+- characters, all 18 Dijinni for all 8 characters, all spells, classes, summons and best weapons. I still can't defeat him.
    I even try pounding him with like 3 of that Giant Robot summon (I kinda forgot their names), doing like 5k damage each, yet, I fail.

If anyone has killed him, I bow to you.

:D
  • I haven't played many RPG that have had really hard bosses except for these two:

Golden Sun: Doom Dragon

For me this was really hard and I had to spend hours leveling up my guys every day to try to come back and defeat it. Since this is before I knew about online fact/cheat sites I continued to play it day after day until I defeated it. But once I say that Gigantic Dragonn fall and die it was so satisfying.

Also the other boss that was super hard was also when I didn't know about online fact/cheat sites and the game was Wario Land 4's Ending Boss who has several attacking stages and after I get to the last stage I couldn't do anything to hurt it so im like WTF and I haven't beat it. So I sold it :D
  • on ur knees i have beaten both golden suns 100%

(yes leveling to 100 with all 8 characters took a very long time)
  • hardest boss i ever faced was spiderman in revenge of shinobi

First you had an impossible jumping section where you leapt from one crate to the other while they floated in the water. land in water once and you died (ninjas die with contact from any clear liquid) to complicate this was the fact that most of the crates moved off screen so you had to guess how far and when you should jump, then when you finally reach the boss he is the most cheap, sucker punching mutant on the face of the planet. never once got past him
  • I could also say one of the dragon bosses on the Golden Sun series, but I don't have a GBA anymore and the games disappeared. Plus, my memory is delabitated.

So the default answer would be..... I guess Nemesis on Resident Evil 3. I really don't know. I don't remember having any difficulties with bosses. I know I did, but my mind is completely erased.
  • The hardest boss or should i say hardest bosses for me are:

Dr. Breen & his Combine Army - Half Life 2
    Sigma - Mega Man X
    Dr. Wily - Mega Man
    The elite four - Pokemon
    The final song - Elite Beat Agents
    The 1st boss - Mega Man 1,2,3,4,5,6

Dr. Breen & his Combine Army - Dr. Breen wasn't hard to kill. I mean once u got to the top of the tower, u just had to shoot glowy balls of electricity into another glowy ball of electricity that was larger than the tower. But getting to the top of the tower is hard. Wave after wave you are hit by super combine soldiers and it gets really stressful. I decided to skip that part by using god mode, noclip, and notarget(which means that the ai doesnt sense u are there and dont do anything) and thats how i beat that one.

Sigma - Sigma's dog thing wasnt hard at all. A few power blasts and the dog died pretty quickly. but when sigma showed up, that was a whole another story. I couldnt really find the right weapon to kill him, and while experimenting with all the weapons, i eventually died. Maybe i'll try it another time.

Dr. Wily - Never got that far.....too hard

The Elite Four - The elite four are always different from each version. To tell u truth, in blue version, i was just 7 yrs old, maybe. And i thought that i was just supposed to lvl 1 pokemon. But i did catch other pokemon(with the help from the infinite item cheat(Infinite Rare candies & Infinite master balls)) But i did destroy the elite four with just my lvl 99 blastoise through the whole thing. It did take me a few tries but not that many. As for the other versions, there was no cheat. But i wish there was cuz i was just getting plumeled until, yea i beat them.

The Final Song - The breezin difficulty for this song was hard for me at the time. Although it did take me just a few minutes to complete. The cruisin difficulty took me about a day. And i havent gotten to the part where i have to finish this song for sweatin.

The 1st boss(es) - The reason why i could never defeat the 1st bosses in the 1st 6 mega man games is because getting to the boss is harder than defeating the boss itself. I always felt like i had to rush through to get to the boss area because i would just spend minutes and minutes trying to kill one enemy. I think it was because of no power blast. THat really threw me off.
  • i have four bosses.

Old: Perfect Dark (N64) / Final Boss: i played that boss about 20 times and i never defeated the sob, he kept spawning minions and i never figured out how to kill than freaking alien thing, i know you had to shot a simbol that was behind him but by the time i found out what i had to do i didnt gave a shit anymore.

Kinda Old 1: Skies of Arcadia Legends (GC)/Sub-Final Boss: the thing that pissed me off about this battle is that the enemy wasnt beating me, i sabotaged myself because i ran from most random battles and wasnt strong enough to beat this stupid sub-boss, so i ended up playing the game a second time from the beginning without escaping a single random battle, i finally defeated this bastard and decided that it was best to quit while i was ahead and never play this again.

Kinda Old 2: Tales of Symphonia (GC)/ The Darkness (special side-quest final boss): this guy was the hardest boss on the game, that is fact, if you beat him you get the strongest weapons for all characters in the game, it took me 3 days of constant trying and leveling up to beat this guy, after which i easily beat the game without using the weapons he gave me, because they broke the game, and this served for nothing than to waste of my time.

New: Gears of War (X360)/ General RAAM Co-op on Insane: it took me and my dad exactly a day and a half to get to Raam on insane, however it took about a week of trying to finaly beat this god awful boss, however beating him wasnt a matter of skill, it was because our dear general got stuck in a rock for 10 seconds that made possible to hit a bunch of headshots that when i got the stationary gun at the end of the train car, made possible to kill him, instead of getting violently eaten by the Kryll ( the machine gun is on a dark area).
  • Xtreme Pudim said:

Kinda Old 2: Tales of Symphonia (GC)/ The Darkness (special side-quest final boss)

oh, yeah. that game was hard. i had to grind for at least 15 min for that boss, i think and some other bosses too, but the final boss was way too easy, and losing kratos (this game came a year before god of war, so he is the original kratos) sucked, but his replacement character was ok.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Most Popular This Week