FOOD TALK & RECIPE SWAPPING
  • tallchick said:
    I would really love to see this! I understand it must take an amazing amount of work so only if you have time :) Thanks for offering!

I'm starting the broth this Thursday; so i'll start taking photos then. For anyone that may be interested I'll post the ingredients.

Soup
    Pigs trotters (leave whole with skin)
    Pig bones (femur it think are the best)
    Chicken carcass (If you cut up whole chicken it's the pieces you don't use)
    Shoyu (soy sauce)
    Soy bean paste
    Mirin
    Garlic
    Ginger
    Sesame Oil
    Sake
    Sugar

Meat
    Pork Belly
    Dashi (Konbu and Katsuobushi)
    Shoyu (soy sauce)
    Mirin
    Sake
    Sugar

Toppings
    Bean sprouts
    Sesame Seeds
    Sweetcorn

and of course noodles; I'll be using Ramen but you could use Udon.

I'm sure I've missed something but I'll post another message with the full recipe.
  • I got a slow cooker...any one have any good recipes for it?
  • Well... I don't really have any more that haven't been posted in the thread already..... but there are a ton of soups in here which you could adapt to a slow cooker meal.... or even pot roasts are a typical slow cooker meal for a crowd and there are TONS of those recipes on the net ;) good hunting.
  • Yum!

Here's something easy to make. It's a Vietnamese recipe involving cabbage and eggs. It's quick and simple and is surprisingly delicious:

Vietnamese Cabbage and Eggs:

1/2 of a small head of cabbage, sliced into thin strips
    1 or 2 eggs
    1 clove minced garlic
    2 teaspoons fish sauce or 1.5 teaspoons soy sauce (fish sauce has better taste)
    1 tablespoon sesame oil

Beat the eggs with the fish sauce (or soy sauce) until combined.

Heat oil in wok or large skillet on med-high. Add minced garlic and cook until the garlic is just about golden brown. Add cabbage a little at a time until all is added, stiring constantly to keep cabbage from burning for about 3 minutes (cabbage will reduce in volume; you may add a tiny bit of water to keep the cabbage from burning as well during this time).

Turn the heat up to high. Form a well in the middle of the cabbage. Pour in the egg and fish sauce mixture. Wait for about a minute and then stir the cabbage and egg together until all mixed. Serve immediately.

Last time I made it I served it with a marinated pork chop and rice. Took a pic of it:

• I'm necroing my own thread. Sorry. But we just went through the holiday season, dammit! There's gotta be a recipe out there someone's dying to share!

Here's a few of mine, favourite night caps & hangover chasers

Cocktails: Combine ingredients in order. Can be shaken or stirred (in case of pop-based cocktails I recommend a stir)

• Inlaws' Eggnog: 1 oz. Spiced Rum (Captain Morgan's or Bacardi Gold or something better) + fill the rest of the lowball glass with Eggnog + two dashes nutmeg topper
    • Mudslide: 1 oz. Kahlua over a small handful of ice + fill the rest of the highball glass with milk
    • Paralyzer: 2 oz. Vodka over ice + fill the rest of the highball glass with Coca-Cola and milk
    • Amaretto Sour: 1 wedge Muddled lime (and/or lemon) + 1 oz. Amaretto + fill the rest of the highball with Sprite
    • G&T Lite: 1 wedge muddled lime + 1-2 oz. Tanquerray over ice + Fill the rest of the highball with Tonic Water
    • Rye & Coke: 1 wedge muddled lime + 1-2 oz. Canadian Club over ice + fill the rest of the Lowball with Coca-Cola
    • Antifreeze: 1 oz potato vodka in a shot glass, taken from the freezer + a dash of pepper, chase with a sauna

For the morning after:

• Spanish Coffee: Fill mug with coffee + 1 oz. Bailey's
    • Tea-C: Fill mug with Earl Grey tea + 1 oz. Amarula
    • Mimosa: Mix 1 part Champagne (or Prosecco/White sparkling wine) + 1 part Orange Juice

Cheers everyone & happy new year!
  • easy-peasy

Restaurant Style Egg Drop Soup

Ingredients

4 cups chicken broth, divided
    1/8 teaspoon ground ginger
    2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1 1/2 tablespoons cornstarch
    3 eggs
    sesame seed oil for taste

thinly sliced mushrooms (optional)
    sliced green onion stalk (optional)
    1 tablespoon frozen peas (optional)

Directions

Reserve 3/4 cup of chicken broth, and pour the rest into a large saucepan. Stir the salt, ginger and chives into the saucepan. Stir in optional ingredients if using and bring to a rolling boil. In a cup or small bowl, stir together the remaining broth and cornstarch until smooth then stir into the broth gradually until the soup is the desired consistency.

In a small bowl, whisk the eggs together using a fork. Drizzle egg a little at a time from the fork into the boiling broth mixture. Do not stir but let sit for one minute. Turn off heat and serve with a few drops of sesame seed oil stirred in.
  • Discovered something to do that's super easy. Never did this before but it turned out great~

Roasted Veggies: Carrot & Onion

Ingredients:
    -a bunch of carrots (I used a whole bag because I wanted leftovers), peeled & chopped into small bite-size pieces (about the size of a quarter)
    - about a quatrer of a spanish onion, chopped (alternately, you can use a bunch of cleaned & chopped green onions and/or leeks)
    - olive oil
    - salt & pepper to taste
    - parmesan cheese

Method:
    - preheat oven to 350 degrees Farenheit
    - coat your baking dish with olive oil.
    - toss in some carrots, then some onions, then put in a little salt & pepper
    - rinse & repeat till you run out of veggies
    - top with a bit of parmesan & cover
    - bake for 40-50 mins (works awesome if you have something else on the go like fish & chips or something)
    - eat & enjoy~

Feel free to experiment with different veggies; I think the carrots take so long bewcause they are root vegetables. probably would work well with potatoes too!
  • ooo, tallchick, roasted vegetables are my favorite!
  • I have never met a person that likes food who doesn't like drinking.

Case in point:

My Drunk Kitchen
    Thanks to Gravehound for pointing this out to me via twitter:

http://www.youtube.com/user/MyHarto?feature=watch

This girl is fucking hilarious. Enjoy!
    Caveat: Don't try this at home. Or if you do, make sure someone's holding the camera so when something catches on fire.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Most Popular This Week