FOOD TALK & RECIPE SWAPPING
  • Breakfast:

Rose hip soup + cornflakes (preferably Kellogg Cornflakes)

Go get it now! YOU WON'T REGRET IT! Everyone I've recommended it to LOVES it.
  • Rose Hip Soup? I'v heard of Rosehip Jam (jelly) but not Soup. Interesting.

Is it served hot? Cold?

Why cornflakes and not granola or oats or some other cereal? Are cornflakes a side or poured into the soup??

Please post the recipe for this!!

PS. I just realized this thread is like a year and a half old and people keep posting here. That's beyond awesome. I'm going to have to start making some of these and posting reviews and stuff.

But I have yet to see a ramen recipe.

Alright... Noobie goes to the first REALLY GOOD ramen recipe!!
  • just back from the farm my families at and got to use the AGAalot, the best thing to get made was the Belgian loaf, i don't know why its called that...anyway

Belgian loaf

4oz butter
    1 cup white sugar
    1 cup sultanas
    2 cups self raising flour
    1 egg
    (you'll need a loaf tin as well)

heat up the pan and add the sugar and butter, mix until all melted
    add the sultanas, take it out into a mixing bowl and let it all cool
    sieve the flour and add the egg to the mixture
    when its all mixed place it evenly into the loaf tin (remember to butter it if its metal and non-stick)
    bake that in the oven at gas mark 4 (or high in the AGA) for half an hour
    PROTIP: stick a skewer in it to check its cooked in the middle (if its still gooey then put it back in)
    when its cooked pop it out the tin and let it cool on a wire rack

if you want to mix it up then try some dried fruit or walnuts instead of the sultanas

my Mam's cooking for the win!
  • HOLY CRAP! My mom makes this exact bread too!! Makes a really great quick-loaf, doesn't it?

I think I may have an idea as to why it's called "Belgian" loaf... my mom is low countries German and my dad is Belgian... Some people may not agree but I find the cultures are similar they share a lot of same food/similar language (not the same but my mom said her low German was similar enough she could understand my grandparents when they spoke Flemish. Anywho...). Biggest difference IMO is Flemish are mainly Catholics... or at least my family is and so are most of the Canadian-Flemish families I have met.

And also in many Dutch, Danish, Flemish, Low countries German families I have met, I find variations on this raisin bread.

My mom calls it "Stuten" in the German. Not sure what it means.

What she does is adds maraschino cherries for Christmas (red and green).

I think almonds would taste REALLY GOOD with the raisins :)

And tell your mam thanks!!
  • DEER STEAK EXTRAORDINAIRE

With the resurgeance of the "Do you own a gun" topic, and swoopes' recent cheevo review of the Rappala Fishing game, I thought I'd post a game recipe. My fiance & I had this for dinner last night from our frozen collection of fall harvested meat and it was amazing.

There's three components to this recipe which it pays to make ahead before or while the steaks marinade.

1. Deer Steak Marinade: DO THIS FIRST!!
    I have never met a game meat that doesn't benefit from a tenderizing marinade. The ingredient amounts will basically depend on the amount of steaks you have, so I will mention this in Ratios.

1 part white wine vinegar
    2 parts olive oil
    Italian herbs (Oregano, Basil), to taste
    Garlic Powder, to taste
    Salt & Pepper, to taste

Method: Throw it all in a bowl and whisk it. Put steaks on bottom of a flat-bottomed container, pour whisked marinade over. Cover and refrigerate, flipping steaks once, for 4-6 hours.

2. Stuffing Topping
    Again, depends on the amount of steaks you have.

1 +1/2 slices of whole wheat bread per steak
    1 stalk celery per steak, diced
    1 tablespoon minced onion per steak
    Italian Herbs (optional)
    Warm water

Method:
    Cube the bread slices with a bread knife, spread evenly on a cookie sheet and broil to toast (about 2-3 min a side) to make croutons. While that's toasting, quickly chop your veggies. Combine it all in a big bowl. Keep water on the side until combinaton. Before putting on top of steaks (see "Combining it all", step 3 below) add just enough water to moisten bread so it sticks together a bit.

3. Marinara Sauce
    For this portion, you can use pretty much any tomato-based spaghetti sauce, like home made stuff you've made ahead or store-bought (recommend the Classico brand), so long as it isn't too chunky. Think of something you'd like to use in lasagna.

Combining it all:

You will need:
    - Marinated Steaks
    - Stuffing Topping Mix & Hot Water on the side
    - a Pan for frying the steaks and some olive oil on the side
    - Marinara Sauce
    - Glass casserole dish big enough to fit all steaks on the bottom
    - A pile of grated mozzarella cheese
    - A pile of grated parmesan cheese

Method:
    1. Saute steaks in frying pan until browned on both sides. Place in casserole dish.
    2. Preheat oven to 300 degrees Farenheit
    3. Pour water over stuffing mix, just enough to moisten. Pour stuffing mix over the steaks and spread it evenly.
    4. Spread Marinara Sauce evenly over the stuffing.
    5. Sprinkle Mozzarella cheese over marinara sauce in an even layer.
    6. Finish off with by sprinkling Parmesan cheese on top.
    7. Tent some tin foil over the top of the casserole dish. Keep loose; don't close off all sides.
    8. Once oven is totally warmed up, put the dish in there and bake it for 1 hour @ 300F
    9. If you want a crispier top, remove the tin foil for the last 10 mins. of baking.

MMM. Deery quasi-lasagna/quasi-meat-parmigiana goodness.

Recommended sides: this dish is pretty robust, but lack in veggies. I'd recommend like a hunter's steak topping to go with; peppers and mushrooms and onions fried in a skillet using italian herbs. though, asparagus would make my day right now. To drink, Peelee Island Merlot Reserve 2007 or 2008. Or a nice Pilsner or a Scotch rocks. Or for those who can't imbibe alcohol legally, I recommend a glass of savoury tomato or veggie juice.

This is probably the most complex recipe I'll ever post here. Hoping to find a good BBQ recipe soon.
  • How much can making your own food from scratch help you loose weight?

Turns out, one hell of a lot.

Hi Noobtoobers. Check out the recipes below for some healthier alternatives to store-bought basics. This means: Lower fat, lower salt and overall healthier selections that you can eat from every day.

Why these recipes? What’s in doing all this work for me?
    These recipes are mostly easy, or make-ahead, and are chosen to reduce your reliance on take out and pre-processed foods, and thereby save you money. All of these recipes also double as great party food. What’s better than Pizza, Burgers and Souvlaki for a crowd? Just remember to (insert appropriate multiplier here) the recipe for the number of people you have. Most of these can also be made on the BBQ, but if you don’t have a BBQ get yourself an electric grill. Those things are cheaper, handier, and the fat will drip right off the grill making your meals healthier too.

Also be sure to check out my House Salad recipe earlier in this thread, and for those on a protein kick (trying to gain weight), make sure to PM colossalhavoc because he’s a really into cooking too, or check out RichTheChef's pancakes (yummy), also earlier in the thread.

Feta Tzatziki (Makes 8-12 servings)
    Makes great companion to wrap sandwiches, as a grilled souvlaki topping, or with toasted pita sections as dip.

Spoiler:
    What’s in it:
    1-½ Cups Low-Fat Plain Unsweetened Yogurt (*or, ½ of one of those big 650g tubs of yogurt)
    ½ Cup Grated English Cucumber (*or, about a 3-1/2 inch section of cucumber, grated)
    ½ Cup Crumbled Feta Cheese (*or, a piece twice the size of your thumb, crumbled)
    1 Large Clove Garlic, Minced (*or substitute 1 tsp garlic powder).
    2 tbsp. Lemon Juice

Check the Method:
    Combine all ingredients in bowl & refrigerate until use (lasts up to 4 days).

*Tallchick’s Comments:
    I get frustrated with recipes sometimes... they give wierd proportions that are hard to remember for later. So I usually end up making it up a little as I go along, and often it works out better; see comments in brackets above. Depending on your cooking style or how much you will need, don’t be afraid to adjust the recipe accordingly. I recommend Danone Source 0% Yogurt, Plain flavour. This is because it’s a thicker yogurt than most low fat yogurts, so it holds its creaminess well, and doesn’t get watery. In my experience, the cucumber does add water to the mix, so make sure to remove excess water from the cucumber with clean paper towels if you are using a thinner yogurt. This tzatziki recipe actually accompanies a really tasty vegetarian souvlaki recipe in the book which my fiancé & I modify to include meat.

Canadian Street Meat Souvlaki (makes 4-6 servings)
    This is a great summer BBQ meal based loosely on street meat I used to get after the bar in my hometown, and the souvlaki recipe in the Cook Great Food book. Note that in this recipe no skewers are used.

Spoiler:
    What’s in it:
    2 Boneless Chicken Breasts (substitute Boneless Pork Chops or De-veined, Tail-Removed Shrimp)
    Dried Oregano
    Dried Mint
    Red Chili Flakes (Optional)
    Olive Oil
    Lemon juice
    Salt & Pepper
    1 Red Bell Pepper, Chopped
    ½ Large Yellow or Red Onion, Chopped
    1 or 2 cloves finely chopped garlic (or substitute 1 tsp garlic powder)
    Whole Wheat Pita Bread (the pocket kind)

Check the Method:
    Starting 1-1/2 hrs before meal time, make a marinade for the meat with the following: Equal Parts Lemon Juice and Olive Oil, 1 tsp Dried Oregano, 1 tsp Dried Mint, some Red Chili Flakes, Salt & pepper to taste. Make sure there is enough Olive Oil and lemon juice to saturate the meat, I suggest about 5 tbsp each, but this can be adjusted based on size of the meat portions or personal preference. Marinate meat for 1 hour, flipping ½ way. While the marinade is going, prepare the tzatziki (recipe above) and refrigerate. When meat is ready to grill, remove from marinade and discard the leftover marinade. Grill for 5 mins a side or until no longer pink in centre and juices are running clear. Meanwhile, sauté chopped vegetables and garlic in a frying pan. Start with the onions and garlic, frying on high heat till onions are soft and translucent, then add peppers. Add good glug of Lemon Juice, 1/2 tsp. of Dried Oregano, a little pinch of Dried Mint, some Red Chili Flakes to taste, and salt and pepper to taste. When Chicken is done, remove to a plate and slice into fajita-style strips the size of your little finger, and put into a serving dish. Put cooked veggies into a serving dish. Grab your whole wheat pitas from the cupboard and tzatziki from the fridge. There’s your dinner!! Or midnight snack....

*Tallchick’s Comments:
    For some different meals using this same basic recipe: Add more different veggies, skewer & marinate for great shish kabobs (leave out meat for a vegetarian dish); stirfry veggies & shrimp together, omitting mint and adding a yellow bell pepper and a few more chilis, and serve over rice for a spicy fusion dish. Omitting all the spices and the marinate step, rubbing meat with Mexican spices and cooking veggies with Mexican spices, subbing lemon juice for lime juice for a homemade Fajita.

Homemade Burgers (makes about 6 patties)
    Probably the easiest to make, and everyone loves a great scratch burger. This one’s a crowd pleaser, and a variation on Jamie Oliver’s:

Spoiler:
    What’s in it:
    A handful of plain, unsalted soda crackers, crushed to make crumbs
    About 2 heaping tbsp finely chopped Fresh or Dried Parsley
    About 2 heaping tbsp Dijon Mustard (recommend Maille)
    1 pound Extra Lean Ground Beef
    1 large egg, lightly beaten
    Salt and Pepper to taste
    ¼ of a Large Yellow Onion, finely chopped

Check the Method:
    Thow it all into a bowl and mix it together with your freshly washed bare hands (best way to mix all the ingredients thoroughly). Divide into patties (this recipe makes about 6, give or take). Put Olive Oil lightly on both sides of each patty, and stack them placing a square of wax paper in between. Wash hands again thoroughly after mixing & patty-making. Patties can now be frozen for future use. To cook, thaw completely then grill about 4 minutes a side on high heat. Cut into the biggest one to make sure it’s done through (no longer pink in middle, all juices clear). Throw it on a whole wheat bun, stack it with veggies, and done!!

Homemade Whole Wheat Pizza Dough (makes 2 pizzas worth of dough)
    This recipe’s a bit more complicated but can save you a ton of money on takeout if done right.

Spoiler:
    Combine in large bowl:
    1 cup warm water
    1 packacge yeast (make sure to check Expiry Date when you buy)

When dissolved, add:
    1 tbsp Sugar
    1-1/2 tsp. Salt
    2 tbsp. Canola Oil
    1-1/4 cup All-Purpose Whole Wheat Flour

Beat the above until smooth, then gradually add:
    2 cups additional All-Purpose Whole Wheat Flour
    (enough to make dough stiff)

Check the Method:
    Knead dough until elastic, about 5 min. Place in greased bowl and let rise until double in a warm spot, about 45 mins. Form 2 balls. Pat and stretch to fill 2 greased pizza pans. Let rise 10 additional minutes before topping. Top as desired with sauce, vegetables, cooked meats and cheese.

*Tallchick’s Comments:
    Here's what I do: Make one batch on Sunday, split dough in two and refrigerate unused portion in a ball, uncooked up to 3 days for a midweek meal using up any leftover vegetables and cheese in your fridge. When living on my own, I also found jarred tomato sauces worked best and were convenient, because I could use it for a pizza then have spaghetti later in the week, and it was often cheaper than making my own. I also recommend grabbing some all-purpose whole wheat flour for general use because with it, you can make everything from your own breads to pancakes to coffee cakes and it’ll all be healthier (higher in fiber and iron).
  • I've been meaning to post this recipe for ages. I did this in fall of last year. It was good fun.

Goldbrasse im Salzmantel (=gilthead seabream in a salt crust)

This is a Mediterranean dish. The fish was really quite wonderful and I can recommend it. It is also a lot of fun to play with so much salt :). As a side dish I used some plain cooked potatoes and spinach (which was utter crap), but you can pretty much go with anything you like. Maybe a salad. It's up to you.

This should also work with seabass or some other fish, but you need a whole fish, not a fillet, so you should go for a fish that isn't too big and will fit in your oven. Also, the fish I suggested has fairly few fishbones and has a nice taste.
    It's best to have the scales and guts removed beforehand.

What you need:
    1 fish per person
    1 kilo of salt per person (estimate)
    some egg white (2 eggs per person)(estimate)

1. Preheat the oven to 200 - 230 degrees C

2. Mix the salt and egg white so it becomes an almost mouldable mass. Cover the baking tray with some of it. Don't be stingy with your use of salt.

3. Make sure the fish has been gutted, washed, and rid of its scales.

4. Stuff some garlic and pepper in the bowels of the fish, and whatever other spices you'd like in there. You may also make some small slits in one side of the fish and put some spices in there (just make sure they are small otherwise the salt could get in).

5. Place the fish on the baking tray. it should lie on a bed of salt. Now pour all the salt you have and cover the fish. The Egg White should make it possible for you to firmly mould a nice salt cover around the fish. In my case it was about a centimetre thick.

It is important that there are no holes in the salt cover.

6. Now place the baking tray in the preheated oven.

7. The salt crust should become yellow. Give it an hour or so. The recipe I was using told me to wait for half an hour and that was clearly not enough.

8. Once it is done take out the baking tray and get a HAMMER! CAREFUL: It is very hot. Carefully break the crust and free the fish and remove as much salt as you can. Place the fish on your plate. It is important you keep the fish in one piece. If it falls apart you are going to end up with a really salty meal.

9. The salt is stuck to the fish's skin so just don't eat the skin and eat the fish meat. It should be really nice. :)
  • My god, Planky that looks fantastic :D
    --
    As requested by tallchick a while back, here are some ramen recipes. They're pretty darn delicious!

Dorito Ramen Salad
    You will need:
    - 1 package of ramen noodles
    - 1 bag of doritos (a small one was enough for our recipe)
    - 1/2 lb. of ground beef
    - 1 cup of shredded cheddar cheese (optional)
    - Taco seasoning (optional)
    How to cook:
    The noodles:
    1. Put 2 cups of water in a cooking pot and bring to a boil.
    2. Once the water is boiling add your ramen noodles.
    3. Wait 2-3 minutes until the noodles are tender and separated.
    4. Take off the water with the strainer.
    The recipe:
    5. Cook the ground beef in a cooking pan. Make sure it's fully cooked!
    6. Once it's ready, put it in a bowl.
    7. Add the ramen noodles and mix it with the beef.
    8. Place the Doritos chips around the beef like on the picture (it looks like a flower!)
    9. Break into small pieces the Doritos you have left and put them on top of the beef.
    10. Add the shredded cheese and taco seasoning (optional)
    11. Enjoy!

Ramen Mayonnaise Salad
    You will need:
    - 1 package of ramen noodles
    - 2 cups of water
    - 1/2 cup of green peas
    - 1/2 cup of sweet corn
    - 1/2 cup of cooked tuna (or cooked bacon)
    - Mayonnaise (to taste)
    - Some salad (to make it look good)

How to cook:
    The noodles:
    1. Put 2 cups of water in a cooking pot and bring to a boil.
    2. Once the water is boiling add your ramen noodles.
    3. Wait 2-3 minutes until the noodles are tender and separated.
    4. Take off the water with the strainer.
    The recipe:
    5. Add the peas and sweet corn.
    6. Add the mayonnaise. Mix it.
    7. Add cooked tuna or cooked bacon (we used bacon on the picture)
    8. With some salad, make sure your delicious meal also looks good :)
    9. Enjoy!
    --
    Hope you like em!
  • Please to post the pictures Manio :) The recipes sound decent; the taco ramen sounds like it would taste good with the addition of some fresh vegetables. I would love to see what that salad looks like... do you cook the corn and peas before putting them into the mix? I guess that would depend on if you're using canned or fresh, right?

Anyway, interesting use of the noodles. Certainly original, and something I never would've tried out of the blue; thanks for posting :D

The original goal of the whole ramen request was to get a more traditional Japanese street ramen up on here, as an ode to Tobin or Yuzo. Original reward offering for a noobie is still up for grabs for the first ramen recipe that knocks me off my feet with how awesomely amazing it is :)

BTW... speaking of awesomely amazing... Plankton, dude. That looks just awesome.
  • The Doritos one isn't bad, I was kind of skeptical using actual Doritos but it didn't turn out all that bad. Fresh vegetables for the one salad all the way, I cannot stand canned veggies but that's me.
  • Looks like im gonna have to start dropping phoenix downs up in this biatch, HOLLA!

Cullen Skink AKA the best scottish soup you'll ever have

1lb Smoked haddock, flaked (any smoked fish will do but haddocks the best for this)
    1 finely diced onion
    8oz mashed potatoes (new potatoes with the skin still on are the best)
    1 1/2 pints of milk or a pint of cream
    chopped parsley
    2 tablespoons of butter
    seasoning (cracked black and sea salt if you've got it)
    2 chunks of stale bread

1. fry off the onion in half of the butter
    2. add the milk or cream, add water if its a bit too thick
    3. drop in the flaked fish and the potatoes
    4.Simmer for 15 minutes, add your parsley, season to taste
    5.Fry off the stale bread with the rest of the butter
    6. serve the soup up with the crutons added at the last minute

someone pass me the ladle, im going in for seconds

serve
  • tallchick said:
    The original goal of the whole ramen request was to get a more traditional Japanese street ramen up on here, as an ode to Tobin or Yuzo. Original reward offering for a noobie is still up for grabs for the first ramen recipe that knocks me off my feet with how awesomely amazing it is :)

I didn't make the video, nor have I attempted to make the dish, but this is about as Japanese as ramen can get with an english speaking narrator.

[spoiler:2cf8cb4b76] [/spoiler:2cf8cb4b76]

I'm no chef, but I make a ton of recipes from the internet. I'd recommend foodwishes to anyone who's interested. I've been following him on youtube and his blog for probably 6 months, and I have yet to be disappointed.

Speaking of which, I guess I could post my take on one of my favorite recipes of his:

Chicken and asiago orzo
    Ingredients:
    2 chicken breasts, cubed
    1 1/4 cups of uncooked orzo (usually about half a box)
    16 oz (2 cups) chicken broth or stock
    1 cup frozen peas, thawed
    1/2 cup grated asiago
    1/4 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
    salt and pepper to taste

1. Bring chicken stock to a boil
    2. Add chicken and orzo. Return to a boil.
    3. When it starts to boil, reduce heat to medium and simmer for about 12-15 minutes, stirring frequently.
    4. When the orzo is tender and has absorbed most of the broth, add seasonings and peas.
    5. TURN OFF HEAT, then stir in half of the asiago.
    6. Serve, using remaining cheese as garnish.
  • I just made the most PERFECT batch of low-fat plain and fruit scones.

Shame you aren't getting the recipe, isn't it?

Spoiler: [center]image[/center]

Muahahahahahaha, evil urge filled for the day.
  • my mom makes a great ramen noodle side dish damn its making me hungry thinking about it.
  • Asian-Inspired Stirfry / Soup

We make this dish at home all the time and basically it can double as a stir-fry or soup and still taste awesome. It makes a pretty large recipe too, and is a crowd pleaser. I kind of just wing it with proportions of spices and veggies in this recipe depending on what's on hand.... for a milder flavour, reduce the ginger and the chilies, or omit them all together and try adding onion. I'd always wanted to try using Dashi stock instead of chicken stock. Mix it up! It's a great meal for using up veggie odds and ends in your kitchen. Particularly with the soup.

To start:
    Heat in a large skillet or dutch oven (other big soup pot) with a lid (leaving lid off for the moment):
    - A good glug of sesame oil

When heated, Brown:
    - Strips of Chicken, pork, or beef
    - Diced Garlic

When meat is mostly cooked, add, mix together and cook/steam for 10-15 mins with lid on:
    - Water Chestnuts (1 small can)
    - Baby Corn (1 can)
    - Chopped Broccoli (about a cup)
    - Chopped Celery (2 stalks-ish)
    - Julienned Carrots (about 2)
    - Any other fresh veggies you might feel like adding... but not onion. (about 1 cup's worth)
    - Ginger spice (to taste, about 1/2 to 1 tsp ground dried OR 1 thumb-sized piece, peeled and finely chopped)
    - Cilantro Leaves (to taste, about a tablespoon dried leaves or a good handful chopped fresh)
    - Either a finely chopped fresh Spicy Red Chili Pepper or some other hot spice of your choice (we've used everything from Frank's Red Hot to Tobasco Sauce to Dried Red Chilies when fresh are not available)
    - Soy Sauce (about 3 tablespoons)
    - 1 Tbsp Black Bean Sauce (omit if you don't like salty food)

At this point, you can make it into a stir fry or soup

For the stirfry:

- Make noodles or rice according to package directions in another pot on the side. Serve with the above stirfry ^^ on top, making sure water chestnuts are completely heated through before serving.

For the soup:
    - Add half & half Chicken Stock to the dutch oven, enough so that the veggies and stuff are floating watery-like.
    - Cover and simmer for 20 mins to an hour.
    - Add rice vermicelli noodles about 5 mins before eating. Add more water if necessary and return to a boil once noodles have cooked.
    - skim off any scum. during this process to keep broth clear-ish.
  • I'm in college now, and on a strict, really tight budget.... So I will be doing a series on foods I make with college staples.

Atomic KD Primavera

Why atomic? Because today, kids, we use: THE MICROWAVE! :3

You will need: Microwave, Milk, Non-hydrogenated Margerine (like Becel), a box of Kraft Dinner Original (KD), frozen veggies ( I recommend a broccoli/cauliflower/carrot mix)

1) Cook KD according to package instructions in the microwave, in a microwavable dish. Keep and eye on it; it may boil over while cooking and cleaning up the starch is a pain in the ass.

2) In separate dish, pour however many veggies you want in the mix eventually, and cook in microwave according to package instructions (if no instructions, try: 1/4 cup water in the bottom, and then cook on high for 3 mins at a time till tender).

3) When veggies are finished, combine with KD in first dish, and heat for another 2-3 mins. or till KD is warm again.

4) Serve with side of cold cuts if desired (recommend Cajun Chicken or Spiced Ham) and a glass of milk or juice.

Presto-bingo! Healthy-ish microwave meal.
  • College series continues. Still trying to avoid use of oven in Landlord's kitchen LOL :)

You will need:
    - Electric Skillet / Frying Pan / Griddle
    - Plastic Spoons
    - Cutting board and chopping knife
    - Toaster Oven
    - Olive oil
    - Basic spices (Salt, Pepper, Italian Herb Mix, Garlic POWDER--not garlic salt; chili spice)

Basic 3-egg Western Scramble & Cheesy Toast
    INGREDIENTS:
    - 3 Eggs
    - 1/4 spanish onion, chopped
    - 1/4 tomato, chopped
    - 1/4 green pepper, chopped
    - 1 slice lunch-meat ham, chopped (optional)
    - 1 or 2 slices of bread and butter for toast
    - About 1/2 cup grated cheese (mozza, cheddar, or marble)
    - a tiny bit of milk or water

Eggs:
    1) Add a glug of olive oil to the pan and then throw in your veggies (onion, tomato, pepper) and toss to coat. Stir-fry over medium-high heat till tender.

2) Crack the eggs in a bowl and beat them well, adding a small splash of milk or water, and salt and pepper to taste, and the chopped ham.

3) When veggies are done, throw in the eggs and keep stirring it up (scrambling) until all the eggs are cooked through.

Toast:
    1) Butter both sides of the bread and set toaster-oven to about 300 degrees Farenheit. Thrown some cheese on top and throw it in the toaster-oven till the cheese is melted.

Alternate method: Toast the bread in a toaster to desired setting. When complete, throw on the cheese and then put toast in microwave for about 20 seconds or until cheese is melted. You can also do this for a lazy person's, or low calorie (because you don't need to butter the bread) grilled cheese sandwich.

Basic Make-Ahead Italian Ground Beef
    INGREDIENTS
    - 1 lb ground beef
    - Salt, Pepper, Italian Herb Mix, Garlic POWDER

1) Fry beef in skillet over medium-high heat, adding to taste, salt, pepper, garlic powder, and italian herbs.

2) When done, remove beef to bowl lined with paper towel. Cover and cool in fridge.

3) Once cooled, bag and freeze for later use in crockpot creations such as spaghetti sauce, soup, or stew.

Basic Make-Ahead Mexican Ground Beef
    INGREDIENTS
    - 1 lb ground beef
    - Salt, Pepper, Chili Spice, Garlic POWDER

1) Same method as above for Italian Beef substituting Chili Spice for Italian Herbs

2) Once cooled, bag and freeze for later use in crockpot creations such as chili or also for burritos or tacos. Recommend thawing in microwave, then heating along with refried beans to retain moisture in the case of tacos or burritos. Of course, it depends how much sauces you put in your burrito meat as well. :)
  • College series continues.

Building on Make-Ahead Mexican Ground Beef which I posted yesterday ^^ above.

Easy Crock Pot Chili

You will need:
    - Chopping knife & cutting board
    - Crock Pot (Large or 1/2 size)
    - Stirring spoon

A little advice on using a Crock Pot
    With a crock pot, you can make all kinds of great meals but it's not always a convenient method. Dishes may take several hours forcing you to leave the thing on when you go out. Not necessarily a bad thing... but I recommend if you're going to do so, make sure it's on LOW and not overfull, or it may boil over and possibly start a fire (such has been a friend's experience). I prefer to use them on a weekend or afternoon if I'm home. The great thing about them is you can also cook a bigger batch of something, keeping one serving out for dinner and freezing the rest to be reheated later in the microwave.

INGREDIENTS
    - Thawed 1lb package of Make-Ahead Mexican Ground Beef (see recipe above)
    - 1/2 each of a green and yellow pepper, chopped
    - 1/4 of a large spanish onion, chopped
    - 1 can diced tomatoes
    - 1 can kidney beans
    - 1 can beef broth
    - 5 white mushrooms, sliced
    - Chili powder (about 3 tablespoons worth)
    - Dash or two of Italian Herbs mix**

** Remember, the beef is already seasoned! Don't overdo it with the chili powder or the garlic. Alternatively, Use Make-Ahead Italian Ground Beef (see above for recipe), and then add only the chili powder as your spices. Salt, Pepper, Garlic and italian herbs already in the beef :)

1) Break up thawed cooked meat, and throw it and all chopped veggies into Crock Pot.

2) Throw in chili powder. Open the beef broth and the tomatoes and put them in too.

3) Open the can for the beans; rinse & drain in strainer or bowl; add to crock pot.

4) CAREFULLY (it'll be full :) ) mix the whole shebang together, and turn the Crock pot on High for 1/2 hour to 1 hour, stirring every 20 mins or so.

5) Once simmered, turn to low and allow to cook, continuing to stir ever 20 mins, until everything's heated through nicely (Kidney beans can take a while... remember the meat is already cooked but it should still be reheated to a proper temperature.) I recommend letting it simmer about 3-4 hours in the crock pot. If things are too liquidy, leave the lid off for a while and let it reduce.

Om-nom-nom.
  • Canadian Meatloaf - my own recipe

Required Tools
    - A 5x9 inch loaf pan.
    - A spoon or something to spread a glaze over.
    - Mixing bowl.

Ingredients
    - 1 1/2 pounds of lean ground beef
    - 1/2 cup of maple syrup
    - 1/2 cup of brown sugar
    - 3/4 cup of saltine cracker crumbs
    - 1 small onion chopped
    - 3/4 cup milk
    - 1 1/2 teaspoons of salt
    - 1/4 teaspoon of ground ginger
    - 1/4 teaspoon of ground black pepper
    - 2 eggs

Directions/Preparation
    - Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Lightly grease a 5x9 inch loaf pan.
    - Press the brown sugar in the bottom of the prepared loaf pan and spread the maple syrup over the sugar.
    - In a mixing bowl, mix thoroughly all remaining ingredients and shape into a loaf. Place on top of the maple syrup.
    - Bake in preheated oven for 1 hour or until juices are clear.
    - Enjoy
    ---
    Some little side-notes. If you have a sweet tooth, you'll like this as sometimes it can taste really, really sweet from the combined effects of the maple syrup and brown sugar. If you're not a fan of sweet items I'd tell you to completely ignore this recipe.

Hope you all like it! I couldn't think of a name so I called it "Canadian Meatloaf" because of the maple syrup bit. You can use less than 1/2 cup of maple syrup if you don't want it too sweet, I just always use 1/2 a cup.

Enjoy!
  • for Sunny, who loves Cucumbers :D

Cucumber Salads
    You will need:
    2 Bowls, one large one small
    2 spoons (one for stirring salad, one for condiment scooping)
    possibly a small blender like a magic bullet to mix the dressing (optional)
    a mandolin slicer (or the ability to chop things very finely)

picture of mandolin slicer:
    [spoiler:7da2df6afd]image[/spoiler:7da2df6afd]

1) Mayo Cucumber Salad

INGREDIENTS:
    - 1 cucumber, peeled & chopped into 1/2 inch chunks with a knife

Dressing:
    - 2-3 heaping tbsp Mayonnaise (recommend Helmann's Olive Oil)
    - 1 tbsp Mustard (Recommend Maille Dijon a L'ancienne... the kind with seeds)
    - A couple dribs & drabs of Red Wine vinegar
    - a shake or 2 of dried Parsley
    - ^ same of Celery Salt

Put cucumbers into a bowl. Put all Dressing ingredients into a seperate bowl (or blender) and mix together really effing well. Pour over cucumbers, toss & serve.

*For additional flavour, wash and slice in half soem grape tomatoes and add to the salad.

2) Cucumber vinaigrette

FOR BEST RESULTS MAKE THIS SALAD 1 DAY BEFORE EATING

INGREDIENTS:
    - 1 cucumber, peeled & sliced super paper thin with a mandolin slicer.

Method for Dressing (marinade?)
    - combine 1 part white vinegar to 2 parts water, enough to cover the cucumbers totally
    - add some white sugar (about 2-3 tbsp worth, to taste--and you will HAVE to taste it to figure out what is or isn't too tart for you)
    - a shake of parsley, or alternately, some dill
    - a couple super paper thin slices of onion or 1 finely chopped green onion (optional)
    - refrigerate overnight (vinegar and sugar will absob into cucumbers)
    - scoop out with slotted spoon into separate small bowl or salad plate.

These are also great salads to make if you're on a budget because all they need is common condiments, kitchen supplies, a fridge, and one veggie.
  • forgive me if im accused of.. "necro-threading"? i think thats the term

spag bol
    everyones can make it and everyone's got a different recipe, i want to see what other people have thats different so post it up!
    it goes a little something like this...

what you'll need;
    -shallot
    -button mushrooms
    -garlic
    -olive oil
    -sweet tip pepper
    -minced beef steak
    -basil
    -taglatelle or spaghetti
    -red wine
    -optional -birdseye chilli
    -hard cheese

1. finely dice up the shallot, button mushrooms, sweet tip pepper and the garlic,
    2. start frying up the shallot,garlic and pepper, add the minced beef steak when they've softened,season
    3. when the meat is browned add the red wine, add stock to taste
    4. add the pasata and add some finely chopped basil or parsley leaves, add maple syrup if your Canadian,
    5. then dice up and add a birdseye chilli (no seeds, no rind, just flesh),
    6. make sure you wash your hands thoroughly, twice, im not taking any responseability for you accadentally pepper-spraying your genetals,
    7. turn down the heat and let it simmer for 1 hour, occasionally stirring it and making sure it doesn't dry out
    8. boil the water up, season it, add the pasta and cook it until it tastes cooked (or if your feeling messy, try throwing it at the wall, if it sticks, then its ready),
    9. drain the pasta, at the pasta to the ragu,
    10. serve it in a bowl and sprinkle/grate some hard cheese on top

nice with some toasted bread

if your unsure of the quantity of things, taste it and add more of what you like, its really a judgement call

chao bella,
    Rich
  • I call pasta with minced meat Macaroni Pa Flotski. It's a Russian name for something seamen often ate, apparently. For me it's Bolognese only when there's tomato sauce in there. I know that's not technically true, but that's how I see it XD

Anyway, I tend to fry the plant stuff separate from the meat. I tend to fry the meat in this case very strongly, because I like when there's lots of fairly hard and dry bits of meat in there. The bigger bits stay soft and moist enough so you aren't exactly eating gravel. You probably a bit more oil as a consequence though.
    Similarly, the onions need a fair bit of brown on them. So that's why I need to separate them.
    The result doesn't have a sauce.

I need to try using some red wine at some point. I am not a big fan of wine based sauces, but I am curious how that turns out.

I've been cooking quite a lot lately. More than ever in my life :). The worst about it is finding the right ingredients with some of these international dishes.

A while ago I made Rich's Scottish Skanks Milky Potatoe Fish soup or whatever it was. Really really good. I also made TC's Steak Extraordinaire thingie. Which was also awesome and extremely filling XD. I was wondering about that, tallchick, is there any particular reason for the bread filling on top of the meat or is it just there to be there?

Furthermore, I made Saighdear's milky goo (jello) stuff. It smelled really nice, but I could barely eat it. There is something about the jello that makes my stomach turn. Maybe there is something to make the recipe more plankton-friendly? Saigh, do you eat that stuff without any sugar?

Let's get to sharing something ... how about Oaf Tapoozim.

It's a jewish/israelite recipe, I think. And pretty simple to make. It's chicken breast with an orange sauce with rice as your side. I was extremely surprised how tasty it was.

Ingredients

500 g Chicken Breast
    1 Onion, sliced
    Some Olive oil
    300 ml orange juice
    3 tsp. Sherry (dry)
    2 tbsp. Dijon mustard
    1 tbsp. brown sugar
    1 tbsp. starch
    1/4 tbsp. grounded ginger
    1/4 tsp. grounded cinnamon
    salt
    pepper
    2 oranges, peeled and cut into slices

Cut the chicken breast into strips. Put to the side.
    Fry the slices of onion till their brown. Put to the side.
    Mix the Cinnamon, Ginger and Starch in a bowl. Use the sherry to make a smooth paste. Add the orange juice and stir it well. Put to the side.

Heat the olive oil in a large pan. Fry the chicken. If you want you can take the chicken out and rid the pan of excessive oil. Back to frying. Add the onion to the chicken and then pour the orange sauce across it all. Stir it. Put in salt and pepper to taste.
    Bring it to boil, reduce heat and cover it with a lid. Let it simmer for 20 or so minutes.

Add the orange bits. Stir. Let it simmer for another 2 or 3 minutes until the orange bits are hot and everything is ready to serve.

Serve with rice.

Simple. I would say that you should make sure that the oranges and the juice are good. I would imagine that bitter stuff would ruin the dish. Hence, buy good quality fresh juice, even if it costs more and get good oranges. Clementines are a good alternative since they tend to be sweeter, though also have less acid, which is a matter of taste.
  • I make a pretty descent tonkotsu ramen. I willnpost the recipe later with pics if anyone is interested. It takes more than a day to prepare though. :) happy cooking.
  • You take about five dozen eggs, start putting them into a bowl, mix the FUCK out of them, and what do you get?
    PPEEENNNIIISSSSS
  • Marshallj said:
    I make a pretty descent tonkotsu ramen. I willnpost the recipe later with pics if anyone is interested. It takes more than a day to prepare though. :) happy cooking.

I would really love to see this! I understand it must take an amazing amount of work so only if you have time :) Thanks for offering!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Most Popular This Week