FOOD TALK & RECIPE SWAPPING
  • well every Sunday, all of my friends come over to my apartment for fried chicken, mashed potatoes and beer, since I don't do anything special with my potatoes I'll get to the fried chicken recipe.

For this recipe you'll need:
    peanut oil
    paprika
    montreal steak seasoning
    basil
    rosemary
    salt

First get a pan, fill it with the peanut oil, and put the stove top on about 4-5

then get a cereal bowl and crack 3 eggs in it, and beat them till it has a nice slimy consistency

then get a medium sized tupperware container, fill it about half way full with the flour, put in two pinches of paprika, two pinches of montreal steak seasoning, two pinches of basil, and crush up the rosemary and put in one pinch of that. Then get it all nice and mixed up

grab your chicken and put it through an egg bath, and batter it up with the flour mix, once you get about 4 of the chicken legs battered up, get some BBQ tongs and put them in the oil.

You're going to want to turn them every 5 minutes or so, and when the legs look like they're almost golden brown, but not quite, pull them out of the oil and set them on a plate with paper towels on it. The legs cook for about a minute after being taken out of the oil, so they'll brown up on the plate.

This is where the salt comes in, in my experience even though there is a shitload of rock salt in Montreal steak seasoning, it's not enough, and if you want the right amount of saltiness to your fried chicken, you're going to want to lightly salt it once all the legs are done. (I don't recommend adding the salt into the batter, the saltiness 'yield' if you will is extremely inconsistent, and it's just easier to sprinkle a little bit of salt over all your chicken really quickly.)

hope you enjoy my fried chicken recipe :)

EDIT: I HIGHLY recommend you have Bridgeport IPA, Broken Halo IPA, or Old Knucklehead if you enjoy a nice beer with your meal
  • Recipe for Lambshanks:
    What to buy:
    - Lambshanks (1 or 2 per person)
    - Roast lamb seasoning / Lamb & Rosemary Gravox
    - Butter
    - Basting brush / Tongs / Baking Dish

How to cook:
    - Heat oven 400 degrees farenheight. celsius is usually about half
    - Melt butter in dish
    - Baste Lambshanks in melted butter and generously sprinkle with lamb
    seasoning
    - Bake 1 hour 15 mins, or 1 hour 30 mins if Lambshanks are large
    - Turn once after 40-50 mins, When turned sprinkle more seasoning onto
    Lambshank so that it has been fully coated with seasoning

Served with > Baked potatos / Carrot / Steamed veggies, etc...

Potato Bake:
    What to do:
    Peel 3 to 5 potatos (Large)
    Layer sliced potatoes in baking tray
    Sprinkle generously with herb and garlic salt >>> (Masterfoods: Garlic and
    Herb Salt)
    Cover with sliced cheese (Be generous)
    Bake in oven 380 degrees farenheit for 45 mins to 1 hour

Secret - Use a large shallow dish/tray and don't have more then 2 layers
  • booboo said:
    http://snackordie.com/

I've been checking out this site and it's got some pretty good stuff. I made Headcrab Baozi once :D

I'm really hoping I could make the turtle shell cookies but my ovens not workin.

thanks man im going to a lan on the 22nd i think i'm gonna make some of these cookies and bring em to it.
  • Tonkatoy said:

EDIT: I HIGHLY recommend you have Bridgeport IPA, Broken Halo IPA, or Old Knucklehead if you enjoy a nice beer with your meal

Tonka, dude, you're talking my language. Where are these brewed? Could I get them in Ontario?

Also way to go with the recent posts, folks!
    Those all sound really, seriously awesome!

I have to say...Colossalhavoc, I cannot wait to try that stew... I have some moose meat in the freezer with this recipe's name on it. I like how you included the calorie count too.

I have to say I disagree with you on the Mrs. Dash, however... I always find them way too high in salt but they're good for a quick rub if you don't have time to put everything together yourself. Instead of using Mrs. Dash or other similar spice mixes, what I do is read the ingredients label, pick up all the spices listed if I don't have them in my cupbord, then make my own mix to a balance I like in a washed out pickle jar. Why a pickle jar? They're free after pickle purchase, often large, and they have a rubber ring in the lid to seal the jar tight, so they keep the spices fresh longer.

I have to watch my salt intake (heart health) so that's why I do this.

Cheers :)
  • tallchick27 said:
    [quote=Tonkatoy]

Tonka, dude, you're talking my language. Where are these brewed? Could I get them in Ontario?

I have to say...Colossalhavoc, I cannot wait to try that stew... I have some moose meat in the freezer with this recipe's name on it. I like how you included the calorie count too.

I have to say I disagree with you on the Mrs. Dash, however... I always find them way too high in salt but they're good for a quick rub if you don't have time to put everything together yourself. Instead of using Mrs. Dash or other similar spice mixes, what I do is read the ingredients label, pick up all the spices listed if I don't have them in my cupbord, then make my own mix to a balance I like in a washed out pickle jar. Why a pickle jar? They're free after pickle purchase, often large, and they have a rubber ring in the lid to seal the jar tight, so they keep the spices fresh longer.

Cheers :)[/quote]

all of those beers I mentioned are brewed in Portland, Oregon. I'm not entirely sure if you could get them up in Ontario, bridgeport and broken halo are pretty hard to find microbrews
  • tallchick27 said:
    [quote=Tonkatoy]

Cheers :)[/quote]

Thanks for the kind words!

Don't know much about moose meat, I'd love to hear how it turns out. One things for sure - it will be significantly lower in terms of calories. I think I'm seeing beef at about 50 cal/oz and moose in the 30s.

And I just checked my Mrs Dash bottles (I have two - Table Mix and Chipotle) and both are explicitly salt-free. I wonder if there are regional variances or also just salt-free and salted versions?
  • I've got two recipes for you guys to check out, tell me what you think if you try them.

Jalapeno Cheddar Burger: Take a handful of ground beef, doesn't matter how big. Everyone likes their burgers different sizes. After you roll the beef into a ball and flatten it into a patty make a little "hole" in the top, but make sure it doesn't go through the beef but has enough room to place the ingredients inside of. Now, chop up a single Jalapeno pepper, or as many as you like if you are a fan of spice. Place the chopped up Jalapeno in the top, along with some cheddar cheese and fold meat over the hole. Now, slap that puppy on the grill, and enjoy.

Tastes good with a nice cold glass of iced tea.

Cornchip Crusted Chicken: Take a boneless chicken breast and place it in some flour to dry it off. Now, place it inside some egg wash which allows you to bread/crust it. Take the chicken breast and place it inside a bowl of crushed up cornchips. Cover both sides and place the chicken in the oven at 450 degrees fahrenheit for 20-30 minutes. Remove, and enjoy

--
    Hope you guys like my recipes!
  • a cooking thread? am i dreaming?

carnation fudge
    Ingredients:
    -Heavy duty sauce pan (like /807-16.jpg">this)
    -2 tablespoons butter or margarine
    -2/3 cup evaporated milk
    -1-1/2 cups granulated sugar
    -1/4 teaspoon salt
    -1 teaspoon vanilla extract
    -2 cups (4 ounces) miniature marshmallows
    -1 1/2 cups (9 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
    -1/2 cup chopped pecans or walnuts, optional

Steps:
    put butter, milk, sugar, and salt onto the saucepan on your stove in medium heat. let it simmer. after it simmers, let it heat up for 5 minutes, give it a stir every now and then. after that, turn it off and put it to the side. here, you add the vanilla, the marshmallows, and the chocolate morsels (and anything else if you want to). Now stir that (with the heat off) until everything melts and blends together. now get a pan and cover it up with plastic wrap (or tin foil, whatever). Now just poor that chocolaty goodness in and cover it once more. Leave it in the fridge (or freezer) over night until it hardens. IT HAS TO BE HARD AND FIRM OR ELSE IT WILL BE COMPLETELY RUINED!!! There, you made a simple, easy to make fudge!
  • colossalhavoc said:
    [quote=tallchick27]I have to say I disagree with you on the Mrs. Dash, however... I always find them way too high in salt...

...I just checked my Mrs Dash bottles (I have two - Table Mix and Chipotle) and both are explicitly salt-free. I wonder if there are regional variances or also just salt-free and salted versions?[/quote]

Probably salt-free varieties, and if so, that's awesome! I live in a remote area and it's hard to get decent products here sometimes, but I will definitely keep an eye out now I know they're available. Thanks man :)
  • tallchick27 said:
    [quote=colossalhavoc][quote=tallchick27]I have to say I disagree with you on the Mrs. Dash, however... I always find them way too high in salt...

...I just checked my Mrs Dash bottles (I have two - Table Mix and Chipotle) and both are explicitly salt-free. I wonder if there are regional variances or also just salt-free and salted versions?[/quote]

Probably salt-free varieties, and if so, that's awesome! I live in a remote area and it's hard to get decent products here sometimes, but I will definitely keep an eye out now I know they're available. Thanks man :)[/quote]

Fair enough. That wouldn't shock me - I can't even find the Chipotle one in Edmonton. My parents had to get it for me from Kelowna of all places, so there is definitely some regional variances in terms of supply.

Manio - that Cheddar Jalapeno burger looks awesome! I will have to try it the next time it gets warm enough for BBQing. I have about 10lbs of ground beef in the freezer waiting for me.
  • colossalhavoc said:

Manio - that Cheddar Jalapeno burger looks awesome! I will have to try it the next time it gets warm enough for BBQing. I have about 10lbs of ground beef in the freezer waiting for me.

It's tasty. I barbecue all the time, whether it rains, or snows. I just love the taste of a burger cooked over a flame. Right now is perfect too, because my part of Ontario is losing its snow fast.
  • Manio said:

I barbecue all the time, whether it rains, or snows. I just love the taste of a burger cooked over a flame. Right now is perfect too, because my part of Ontario is losing its snow fast.

No better way to eat meat than on the grill :D Yum.
    My former neighbour does what you do Manio, snow or shine... but makes things like Chicken Kiev and Cedar Plank Salmon. Way beyond my skill.... but the smells from his gazebo were always mouth-watering.

My personal favorite is still making a full breakfast with sausages, bacon & pancakes on a bbq or propane stove griddle.
  • Because of the weight-loss contest around the corner I thought I'd switch gears and try a salad.

A simple house salad is probably one of the easiest things to make, and can be made year-round or with vegetables in season.

FAVORITE HOUSE SALAD

Dressing:

- 1/2 cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
    - 1/2 cup Balsamic Vinegar (less or more to control tartness)
    - salt, pepper and minced garlic or a little garlic powder to taste
    - shake REALLY well in a tight-sealed jar
    (stores in fridge for up to 1 wk)

Salad:
    This makes a pretty big salad, enough to feed two people for a couple days as a side to a meal, or two to four people for lunch, depending on serving size.

- 1/2 a head 's worth of leaves from a small head of Romaine Lettuce (wash leaves then tear or cut into bite size pieces.)

Then add a selection of chopped veggies, which could include, and is not limited to, the following (wash all veggies before chopping or peeling):
    - 10 Grape Tomatoes, cut in 1/2 lengthwise
    - 1/2 red bell pepper, chopped
    - 1/2 yellow bell pepper, chopped
    - 1/3 Cucumber, cut in half lengthwise, then sliced
    - 4 Radishes, sliced
    - 1/4 Red Onion, chopped
    - 2 medium carrots, Peeled & chopped
    - 2 stalks celery, chopped

Store the Salad in the fridge in a bowl with a lid or with plastic wrap overtop to keep crisp, until you need it (Max 2 days), then put into bowls to serve, adding:

- 1/4 to 1/2 Cup Feta Cheese or Bocconcini Cheese (optional, depending on salad size)
    - Handful of Whole Unsalted Almonds or Flax Seeds (optional, for increased protein or fiber respectively)
    - 2-3 tbsp. Dressing (shake well before serving)

Pros of this recipe:
    - Because you're making your own dressing, you know what's in it. Many creamy dressings can have a lot of saturated fat or trans fats hidden in the mix. I encourage you to find other recipes for Vinagrettes of your liking.
    -Make enough dressing to last you for the week, and keep it in a sealed jar in the fridge.
    - Store the salad for up to two days to save on prep time. (Chopping the veggies can be time-intensive first time round, but after that you have enough salad for a few meals)
    - Vary the vegetables and lettuces you use int he recipe to try different flavour combinations.
    - Get more protein by adding cheeses, hard-boiled eggs, a chopped grilled chicken breast, nuts or chickpeas
    - All the vegetable listed above (with the exception of radishes, celery and carrots) work great on sandwiches as well. Sliced cucumber is especially awesome on tuna or egg salad.
  • Deer and moose meat is very healthy and tasty, luckily I have a friend that goes hunting and make their own steaks, jerky, etc. and take it camping and is good every time. I will have to ask him what he marinates the meat in but I think its just that westishier saw (I don't know the spelling) and just cook it on a grill or on top of a fire, usually want to cook it a bit longer and spend more time tenderizing the meat because it is a lot tougher than cow beef.

Great to see this up going to have to try some of these out!
  • For those of you liking unhealthier fare, check out this thread from Manio.

DO NOT LOOK if you're on a diet. It will tempt you.

What spices up your fries/chips?
  • I could maybe put you all off of your weight loss goals, but rather than be addicted to cooking as a whole, I'm absolutely crazy about baking.

I was starting the drawing I missed for the first week of the drawing club, and after getting a little sidetracked found myself waiting for cup cakes to finish in the oven. One of my favourites, although not for everyone:

[center:33332e1ddd]Cappuccino Cupcakes[/center:33332e1ddd]

[center:33332e1ddd]For The Cupcakes[/center:33332e1ddd]

[center:33332e1ddd]125g self raising flour
    125g soft unsalted butter
    125g golden caster sugar
    2 large eggs
    1 tsp vanilla extract (not essence)
    1 tsp baking powder
    1 heaped tablespoon instant espresso
    2-3 tablespoons milk[/center:33332e1ddd]

[center:33332e1ddd]For The Icing[/center:33332e1ddd]

[center:33332e1ddd]160g white chocolate
    60g butter
    120g sour cream
    260g icing sugar, sieved
    1 scant teaspoon cocoa powder[/center:33332e1ddd]

The recipe makes roughly 12, but can be more/less depending on how much mixture you have and how big your casings are.

Method - Cupcakes

* Preheat the oven to 200°C/Gas Mark 6
    * Bung all the ingredients except for the milk into a food processor and blitz till combined. (can be done by hand, but is FAR quicker, easier and more appealing to the lazier cook to use a food processor)
    * Add in the milk a tablespoon at a time, pulsing the mix whilst doing so. Once done, this should form a batter with a soft, dripping consistency.
    * Spoon into casings and bake for about 20 mins or until golden brown (test by stabbing them viciously with a toothpick of righteous fury to see if they are cooked on the inside)

Method - Icing

* Melt the butter and chocolate in either a microwave or a double boiler, and once slightly cooled stir in the sour cream.
    * Gradually beat in the sieved icing sugar, and if it's consistency isn't correct for icing, add hot water to thin or more sieved icing sugar to thicken.
    * Spread how you wish over the cupcakes, and sprinkle lightly with Cocoa.

fun little things to make, and you can even pass the cocoa through a tea strainer or patterned decorator to make them look like little cups of cappuccino.

Enjoy! ^___^

Gonna go dig out some more favourite recipes.
  • I've been mixing things up a bit on the previous stew recipe and here are some of the successes:

Meat and tomato sauce and spices on high for much longer (~4 hours) at high.
    Adding in chili spice

And I tried wrapping the meat in bacon, but it really didn't affect the taste much. I used an entire pack of bacon and it just didn't do anything for it.
  • ITS PANCAKE DAY!

here's my recipe for banana pancake batter, hope you all try it out as there geet lush

cup of flour
    1-2 tablespoons brown sugar
    2 teaspoons of baking powder
    1 egg
    cup of milk
    1 ripe bananananananana, mashed up

1 mix up all the dry stuff
    2 mix all the wet stuff
    3 mix them together and add the banana

now just heat up the pan, a bit of butter or oil, and see who can make the biggest one/ flip it the highest
  • ITS DOUBLE POST DAY!

sorry, my bad, dont think i can delete the post now
  • RichtheChef said:
    ITS PANCAKE DAY!

Fuckin' A. Happy Mardi Gras everyone!
  • During the "Are your Fat?" contest, people are looking to cut out all kinds of bad things like junk food and pop. Here's a couple alternative suggestions.

SMOOTHIES
    No matter how sedentary your lifestyle, your body does need nutrients to function. Therefore, skipping breakfast is perhaps not the best idea. Got a blender? Try a smoothie! They're really quick and easy and it's more like drinking a drink than having a full meal. Plus, due to the fruit, you're getting lots of vitamins, nutrients like anti-oxidants, and fiber... and protein & calcium comes from the milk and yogurt. Don't forget: some vitamins require fat to be processed (article: fat-soluable vitamins), so having a tiny bit of fat with what you eat is a good thing.

These smoothie recipes courtesy: Cook Great Food by the Dietitians of Canada.

Banana-Berry Wake up Shake:
    1 banana (if you had old bananas in the freezer, this is great way to use them up)
    1 cup frozen berries (any combo)
    3/4 cup low fat vanilla yogurt (or other flavour to complement fruit)
    1 cup 1% or skim milk (or vanilla soy beverage)

Method:
    In blender, blend fruit with a little milk until smooth. Toss in the rest of the ingredients and blend again till smooth. If too thick, add a bit more milk and blend again.

Dietitians of Canada break down this recipe for nutrition as follows:
    Cal 234, Fiber 3g, Carbs 44g, Protein 9g, Fat 4g
    (Protein and fat content would depend on yogurt & milk you choose.)

Quick Smoothie
    1/2 cup 1% or skim milk
    1/2 cup sliced fruit or berries
    1 single serve container of low fat yogurt, flavor complimenting fruit
    Use same method as above. This is great to do with on-hand ingredients for a quick breakfast.

ICED TEA

Lots of people are commenting on how they are cutting out pop (soda). It's hard to do this when you're used to drinking very sweet things and not used to bland water. Homemade iced tea makes a great alternative as it's a thing where you can control the amount of sugar you put in it, and can add flavour with other things.

**Note: Bear in mind that the strength of tea and sweetness will vary by individual. To adjust this, consider adding more or less tea bags or allowing the tea to brew longer or shorter. For those of you with a sweet tooth like our ex pop drinkers, I recommend trying fruity herbal teas as they don't taste too bad cold, particularly lemon or orange tea or something with a sweeter flavor like vanilla. Also, if using black tea, it can be bitter, so you`ll find yourself adding more sugar or flavoring to compensate. If you`re trying to lose weight this may not be ideal. Hot and cool liquids will also taste different so it`s important to add your flavorings AFTER the tea has cooled. Keep all this in mind when you see **

Iced tea:
    1 kettle's worth of boiled water.
    1 8-cup teapot, about 3-4 bags of tea**

After tea is cool:**
    Have Honey on hand for sweetening to taste
    Large Pitcher prepared with:
    Sliced lemon or other citrus fruit, muddled (optional)
    Fresh Mint Sprigs or Leaves, muddled (optional)

Method:**
    Boil the water and let stand for a sec till it stops boiling. Pour over tea bags and let brew for 3-5 minutes or to desired strength. Remove teabags and allow to cool completely to room temp. Before adding to pitcher, sweeten with honey to desired sweetness, and mix well till dissolved. Pour into pitcher, mix gently, and chill till ice cold.
  • Here's a recipe for a dessert I thought I should share with the rest of you.

It's called Milky Jelly

What You Need
    1 Pack of Jelly aka Gelatin or Jello
    3/4 Pint of Hot Water
    1 Tin of Evaporated Milk aka Dehydrated Milk

How To Make It
    Dissolve the jelly with hot water and leave to cool
    When the jelly is cool but hasn't settled add the evaporated milk
    Then whisk for five minutes
    After that place into a fridge to allow it to set
    Once set there you have it Milky Jelly ready for serving

I hope you all enjoy it as much as I do. :)
  • HANGOVER REMEDIES

Happy Post-St. Paddy's everyone. Found some great hangover remedies on About.com, they're all posted in the "St. Patty's Day 2010" Thread in off topic

Link:
    http://www.noobtoob.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=259676
  • I'm not much of a cook but I'll definetly try some of your recipe it might make me enjoy cooking

now here is why I'm fat

http://thisiswhyyourefat.com/photo/1280/335974491/1/tumblr_kw9qgxtkXn1qzvnxp

:D just kidding I'm as skinny as it gets but hey great topic. I wanted to start a cooking thread but for once that search tool worked. So glad it did I would not have want to rip your thread :(
  • tallchick said:
    Because of the weight-loss contest around the corner I thought I'd switch gears and try a salad.

A simple house salad is probably one of the easiest things to make, and can be made year-round or with vegetables in season.

FAVORITE HOUSE SALAD

Dressing:

- 1/2 cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
    - 1/2 cup Balsamic Vinegar (less or more to control tartness)
    - salt, pepper and minced garlic or a little garlic powder to taste
    - shake REALLY well in a tight-sealed jar
    (stores in fridge for up to 1 wk)

That is always what I put on my salads, minus the Olive Oil! That nice burn as it goes down just can't be beat!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Most Popular This Week