FOOD TALK & RECIPE SWAPPING
  • OK so I really love cooking. And I'm waiting for Tabula Rasa to download so I have serious time to kill.....

I figure most people who enjoy eating at least like some sort of food and perhaps also enjoy preparing it as well and have some sort of specialty they love to brag about.

So, I figured it'd be interesting to see what everyone thinks.
    I invite people to post their best recipes or favourite recipes, and discuss all things food & drink here :)

Recipes!
    Here's one of my favourites from my Fiance's family:

SWEET & SOUR SPARE RIBS
    Remove as much fat as possible from ribs and cook in covered casserole with salt & pepper for about an hour at 375 - 400 degrees F. Pour fat from casserole.

Sauce
    1 cup hot water
    1/3 cup vinegar
    1/2 cup brown sugar
    2 tbsp. soy sauce
    1 tbsp. cornstarch

Put all Sauce ingredients in small saucepan and cook until clear. Pour over ribs and bake at 325 - 350 degrees F for an hour or longer. Baste occasionally. Serve with a spicy veggie side dish and rice.

As for my specialty, I bragged about sauerkraut, so here you got it:

D4FTGMR's SAUERKRAUT

Ingredients:
    3 or 4 strips bacon
    1/2 coarsley chopped Large (Spanish) Onion
    1 Jar Bick's Wine Sauerkraut (I've tried other brands...trust me they're inferior)
    1 teaspoon caraway seeds
    4 6" long (approx) smoked pork sausages
    **you will need a crockpot/slow cooker.

1) Fry 3-4 strips bacon. Drain fat from pan to a cup & set aside bacon.
    2) Using a teaspoon of the bacon fat, fry up half a coarsely chopped spanish onion.
    3) Put fried onion and chop bacon into 1" pieces and throw in crock pot too.
    4) Drain as much sauerkraut from the jar as will fit into your slow cooker, and put into slow cooker.
    5) sprinkle caraway seeds on top.
    6) Put slow cooker on low and let sit for an hour or 2.
    7) About an hour before you eat, Mix up all the ingredients in the slow cooker. Put smoked sausages on top and let them steam with the kraut. Turn sausages over after 30 min.-ish.
    8 ) Sausages are done when if pierced with a fork juices run clear, or if they've split.
    9) Serve Sauerkraut & Sausages on a bun with mustard OR:
    With a side of mashed potatoes, put sauerkraut on top of potatoes and serve with dijon mustard to dip sausage bites in.

Yum.

Now....your turn...BRING IT!
  • You put the lime in the coconut, drink the both up!
  • Here's the greatest recipe ever.

Smoke some weed, after that, it won't matter what you eat, it will taste great, trust me.

ON topic. Take an egg or two, break the shell and put the insides in a bowl, add some milk mix it together, and then add a spice of your liking, dip some bread in there, get a pan, and cook the bread on the pan, until it's all golden or until it's all black, crisp or limp? your choice.

Not very gourmet of me, but it tastes great and goes well with bacon.
  • I'm not much of a chef, nor do I like cooking... but I do love BBQ and this is easy to make so here we go.

Edge's awesome sauce weenies:

1) Put 2 table spoons of grape jelly in a pot
    2) Insert weenies (the small ones... 'Lil Smokies are the kind I use, but I don't know if that's what they're called or just the brand.) One package can serve two, or make a meal for one. (Good for when you're the only one hungry and didn't feel like making mashed potatoes and shit anyway.)
    3) Pour on the BBQ baby, hell yeah! Personally preferred flavor: KC or smoked.

Heat on high til it starts to bubble, then turn it down to medium-low and let it simmer for a bit. (It cooks in about 10 minutes or so. When the jelly is fully fused with the sauce.) Stir occasionally to prevent sticking/burns. Depending on how you prefer your sauce, let it cool or serve immediately. I prefer my sauce rather thick so I let mine cool for a bit.

Viola. Easy, awesome, quick, and tasty. Where's my blue ribbon?

In case you're wondering, the jelly just adds texture and flavor. It's not absolutely necessary, but then it makes it less of a recipe than it already is. I don't suppose it has to be grape either, but I don't care enough to experiment with flavors.

Edit: I just googled it and found out that someone has stolen my recipe and is calling it 'SuperBowl Smokies' ...Now I'm pissed. Not really, someone else gave me this recipe to begin with. Anyway, enjoy.
  • Edge said:
    Viola. Easy, awesome, quick, and tasty. Where's my blue ribbon?

LOL - Here you go...
    it IS good idea for super bowl parties :) mmmmm...bbq

image from http://www.plan59.com/av/av323.htm
  • I like to cook, but I hate to wash the dishes, so much that makes me keep my distance from the kitchen...

anyway, if you guys wanna try something that I eat a lot back home is the bife à parmegiana, its a milanesa steak with tomato sauce and cheese

I dont have a recipe here, but its easy

u take a steak or steaks ( can be a piece of chicken too) and than you make a milanesa from it, its when u prepare a steak passing on spice n flour, than eggs, than bread crumbs, like a ¨crispy fry¨.
    lay it down on a tray than cover with tomato sauce(traditionally you cover, but if you put as much sauce as you want) , and than you put Parmesan cheese, grated or little slices, but a lottttt lolz, oregano a line of olive oil and gratin on the oven.

dont have the recipe but you cant go wrong with beff tomato sauce and cheese right? lolz
  • well, since here is noob toob and I dont have a gaming related recipe, here is a drink recipe

it is call Caipiroska, its the vodka version of the Caipirinha Brazils national treasure lolz

try to find a Tahiti lime, some people like Sicilian lemon, but its not the same =P

1 lime, cut the ends then half, 1/4 and cut off the core, the white thingy on the middle. cut in chunks if you want, not needed.

put all on a rocks glass and add 2 tablespoons of sugar then muddle it, just a little enough to extract the limes juice

add ice cubes and about 1,75 oz of vodka. (not really put as much as u wanna lolz)

serve it with some kind of bar spoon. so if you like it sweet you mix it, if not just drink it.

now for the ladies, u pick half of the ice cubes and bang it with a hammer lol, or just pass it on a grater or something lolz. just smaller chunks, not a snow cone ok? put all on a shaker and well, shake it =P maybe less sugar, its up to you.
    to make it gay put on a tall glass with straw and a slice of lime for decoration, but dont call it caipiroska please.. lolz

*edit, if you use a lemon instead of a lime, usually half is enough, and less sugar.
  • I wouldn't call this a recipe but It's how I make the chicken everyone really loves

Chicken wings or legs. (because breast cost too much) put them in a non stick pan.. butter/ oil really ruins the crispyness. then poor a light amount of garlic salt over the top, enough to cover the top of the peice. Then follow it up with Italian seasoning. til it covers a good amount of the chicken. Preheat over to 385-400. put on center rack. cook 20 mins. take out. turn chicken over. add more garlic salt and seasonings. cook 20 more mins. turn one more time. and cook for a 3rd 20 mins (total of one hour). It's everyones favorite garlic chrispy chicken. For those like Sapphire who don't like skin... repeat the same thing just cook for an extra 5-10 mins til' inside is well cooked and outside has a light crispyness to it. I always like a really good amount of garlic salt because I don't care for chicken too much and the salt really helps with the flavor.
  • http://snackordie.com/

I've been checking out this site and it's got some pretty good stuff. I made Headcrab Baozi once :D

I'm really hoping I could make the turtle shell cookies but my ovens not workin.
  • I would put something up, but no one would ever be able to find or buy any of the ingredients I use. EVER.
  • booboo said:
    http://snackordie.com/

I've been checking out this site and it's got some pretty good stuff. I made Headcrab Baozi once :D

I'm really hoping I could make the turtle shell cookies but my ovens not workin.

Booboo I just checked out that site....I really love the pacman ghost cookies! Good find!
  • HOW DO YOU COOK AN EGGG?!!!!!
  • Ah, you have to try Toll House Pie, only the best pie out there to date in my opinion and it's super easy to bake. It goes so freakin' fast in my house.

Ingredients:

1 unbaked 9-inch (4-cup volume) deep-dish pie shell *
    2 large eggs
    1/2 cup all-purpose flour
    1/2 cup granulated sugar
    1/2 cup packed brown sugar
    3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) butter, softened
    1 cup (6 oz.) NESTLÉ® TOLL HOUSE® Semi-Sweet Chocolate Morsels
    1 cup chopped nuts
    Sweetened whipped cream or ice cream (optional)

Directions:
    PREHEAT oven to 325° F.

BEAT eggs in large mixer bowl on high speed until foamy. Beat in flour, granulated sugar and brown sugar. Beat in butter. Stir in morsels and nuts. Spoon into pie shell.

BAKE for 55 to 60 minutes or until knife inserted halfway between edge and center comes out clean. Cool on wire rack. Serve warm with whipped cream, if desired.

NOTES:
    * If using frozen pie shell, use deep-dish style, thawed completely. Bake on baking sheet; increase baking time slightly.
  • mr.kang said:
    HOW DO YOU COOK AN EGGG?!!!!!

do you mean scrambled, boiled, poached, fried, hard boiled or brown paper bag?

Rich the chef's red onion marmalade

4-5 red onions
    500g brown sugar
    100g butter
    basamic vinegar
    seasoning

1. just roughly chop the onions, melt butter in pan and soften the onions up for 10 munites
    2. add the sugar gradually stirring it in
    3.add balsamic to taste (how much? keep tasting until you like it)
    4. season and cook for 25-30 minutes on very low heat

kidds tiger toast

loaf of tiger bread
    red onion marmalade
    goats cheese

1.cut a nice thick wedge of tiger bread (as big as you can comfortably fit in your mouth)
    2.spread the marmalde on thick
    3. add 2 thick slices of goats cheese on top
    4. in the oven (not grill) for 5-7 minutes or until the cheese is just starting to brown

in my old job we'd sell that with a little salad for £7
  • RichtheChef said:
    [quote=mr.kang]HOW DO YOU COOK AN EGGG?!!!!!

do you mean scrambled, boiled, poached, fried, hard boiled or brown paper bag?
    [/quote]

srry for ask a stupid question, but what a brown paper bag egg suppose to be? lolz, it sounds...ah...tasty... = P
  • miyagi said:

srry for ask a stupid question, but what a brown paper bag egg suppose to be? lolz, it sounds...ah...tasty... = P

wet brown paper bag in the mircowave, kinda like boiled egg but when you need to do 30 at a time there pretty handy
  • RichtheChef said:
    [quote=miyagi]

wet brown paper bag in the mircowave, kinda like boiled egg but when you need to do 30 at a time there pretty handy[/quote]

wow, learning everyday lolz, thank u for answering. It will be very helpful since I dont cook cause I hate to wash dishes lol.
  • Rice Pudding

125g dessert rice
    125g granulated sugar
    1.5 litres milk
    10g butter
    3-5 vanilla pods

pre-heat oven gas mark 2 for 20mins
    grease a dish/pot with half the butter
    add the milk, sugar and rice to the dish
    slice the vanilla pods and scrape out extract
    add vanilla to the milk, rice and sugar
    mix well
    cut up the butter and add chunks to the dish
    put in oven
    after 30mins mix well
    cook for a further 1 hour
    serve
  • Hey all

great to see so many good recipes

I'm seeing a lot of "I don't know how to cook" on here...may I suggest one thing:
    it's a book.

Title: Joy of Cooking
    Authors: Irma S. Rombauer et al.

This book is the book my mom bought me when I moved out of home. It has great recipes for everything and I`m not kidding when I tell you that includes HOW TO BOIL WATER.

It also explains really useful stuff like what different cuts of meat come from which animals, how to knead bread dough, what ingredients can be substituted for what, etc., etc. This book is what kept me from starving when I was low on cash and needed to make healthy meals. It`s a HUGE BOOK, and expensive, but trust me it`s worth every penny if you`re just starting out and need a thing that tells you EXACTLY how to make stuff.

One word of warning though....with this book the butter content of recipes is always huge. When you get experience with stuff it`ll be easier for you to determine how to accomodate for this, like putting a little extra milk in pancakes instead of the butter or oil, and how to substitute whole wheat flour for regular white flour in a bread recipe.

Also, when in doubt...GOOGLE :)

Hope that helps
  • here's a three part drink
    1 shot Dry Sake
    1 shot Crown Royal
    1 shot of Jameson
    all this = an international incident
  • Also the best sub sandwich ever

Italian sub sandwich bread
    lettuce
    red onions
    chopped dill pickles
    boneless grilled chicken glazed w/ wishbone Italian dressing
    drissle melted American cheese on chicken

put the ingredients on the sandwich in the order that I typed them
    then if you have a george forman grill press the sandwich untill bread is toasty, usually about two minutes (also depends on the size of the george forman grill )

if you do not have a george forman grill, put it in the oven on 300 for 3-5 minutes

enjoy!
  • This one was a good success at a theatre-night pre-show party we just had. This would be really good for making a ton of appetizers for a party, as each tortilla yeilds about 6-8 little bites.

AVOCADO PINWHEELS
    1 pkg. cream cheese, softened
    1/4 cup (-ish) of sour cream
    2 med. sized ripe avocados, mashed or pureed
    1 1/2 tbsp. lime juice
    5 green onions, finely chopped
    1 jalepino pepper, finely chopped
    6-8 lg. red (sundried tomato) tortillas, or other colours.

Combine cream cheese and sour cream, mashed avocado and lime juice; mix well. Stir in onions and peppers. Spread each tortilla with mixture. Roll up with filling on the inside. Refrigerate until cheese is firm (min. 3 hrs). When ready to serve, slice each roll into 1/2" slices, trimming off uneven ends (chef's snack!). Arrange on plates or a platter. Recommend trying different spicy Mexican dips or summery fare with (for instance we did this with a little buffet including homemade cranberry salsa & some tropical fruit)

PS The filling also makes an awesome dip!!!

One thing I will mention; AVOCADOES & RIPENING
    If you're like me and live in a remote area where good avocados are hard to come by, buy a week ahead of time and let them sit outside the fridge (on a counter) to ripen. Also sometimes throwing them in a paper bag with a banana for a couple days can speed up the ripening process a little. If you don't wait for the avocadoes to ripen you will end up doing what I did which is cursing the blender while avocado cements itself to the side of the pitcher / food processor cup in unmashed chunks for an hour. LOL

Cheers;
    TC27
  • My Favorite (Cheater) Cookies

1 bag of frozen Pillsbury white chocolate macadamia nut cookie dough

1/3 cup chopped pecans

1/3 cup dried cranberries or cherries

1 1/2 tablespoons orange extract

Mix them all up in no special order, spoon them out onto a cookie sheet, and bake for 10 minutes. It should make around 12 - 14 cookies.
  • With the holidays over and the snow on the ground, now is the perfect time for a LAN party.

But what to do for food? Cheese ball, of course.

Try this really simple recipe from La Carmina I found on YouTube
    NINTENDO BLOWFISH CHEESE BALL

Happy new year, everyone!
  • A couple of real, real simple recipes, as I'm still at home and don't regularly cook for myself.

The Perfect Tuna Wrap - 5 Mins Max, Very easy washing up.

You will need:
    1 Tin of tuna (preferably in sunflower oil)
    Mayonaise (personally I have half fat)
    A Single Wrap
    Lea and Perrins Wochester Sauce.

First of all, Open the tune, drain the oil into a plastic container, then empty the second half of the tin and put it in the fridge for future eating. (or use it all for two people)

Then get the 'dry' tuna and put it in a bowl.
    Put one spoonful of Mayo in with it. (Small)
    Mix it up with a fork, if too dry add more until perfect.
    Then Drizzel Worchester sauce over it too make a delicios falvour adding to the tuna.
    Put in a wrap and enjoy.

The Ham and Cheese Delight. - 5 mins prep, 5-10 min cook

You will need:
    Some Ham
    Some Cheese
    Two Wraps
    Olive Oil

First of all grate alot of cheese (personally I have red leicester, but Chedder is also popular) and ham on one wrap, put the other wrap over this.

Then get a big frying pan, put on the ring and olive oil in the pan.
    Put the wrap in, turn often until golden on both sides.
    Enjoy!
  • I absolutely LOVE to cook and also to eat (c'mon, I'm 240lbs and play sports all day, I'm always hungry!)

Anyways, I have very few actual "recipes" as I tend to experiment and just mix up whatever I have the urge to eat, but one "recipe" that I've been perfecting this year is a stew (I know, one of the simplest things in the world, but hey, roll with it).

I've been reading up on (and trying out) a Paleolithic style of diet (god I hate that word) and this next experiment of mine is a perfect fit - meat and veggies.

Ingredients:
    2 kg beef roast (something cheap, usually blade roast)
    4 or 5 large potatoes
    1 large onion
    2 large peppers (orange or yellow, or one of each)
    1 can Hunt's tomato sauce (Onion and spices flavours)
    mixed veggies
    spice mixes - Italian Seasoning (marjoram, thyme, rosemary, savory, sage, oregano, sweet basil) and Mrs Dash Southwest Chipotle (sweet chili pepper, chipotle chili pepper, cayenne pepper, oregano, thyme, cumin, parsley, savory, marjoram, bay, basil, rosemary, garlic, mustard, coriander)

Instructions:
    I usually buy my roast a few days in advance and freeze it solid to help tenderize it a bit since they're pretty cheap cuts. Once I thaw it again I pour the blood/juices into a crock pot and toss the roast in whole as well. I season my roast with a few spice mixes at that point to give them a chance to work into the meat for a while before I start working on anything else. I'll put in about a quarter cup of water and let this cook on high for 2 hours.

After 2 hours I'll pull the roast out and then slice it up into about 5 or 6 slabs (basically look like steaks) and then set them back into the juices. I'll re-spice them and cook them for another hour.

Now I'll cut up the potatos into cubes, slice up the onions and dice up the peppers. I'll pull the meat out after the hour and put the potatos into the juice (they take the longest to soften by far), then I dice up the meat into bite-sized pieces and put them back into the pot. I pour the can of tomato sauce in now and then I'll put the onions, mixed veggies and peppers in on top to basically steam them. I'll set the crock pot to high for an hour then low basically until I'm ready to eat.

Notes
    This should give at least 6 big bowls of stew when all is said and done. I usually have a large one at dinner and put about 5 tupperwares into the fridge and freezer for the next couple of lunches. I tend to make this stew on the weekends (since it does need to be looked after), so it's great for the school week ahead if I forget to make lunch the night before or if I know I have to work late and need two meals to bring with me.

The whole stew is about 380g protein, 7000 calories and at least 300g carbs depending on how many veggies you add, so very very good, hearty stuff.

As to the spices, I personally get bored of bland meat, so I love spices adding extra twists and tastes. I really load this dish up with spices because of the shear volume of food that needs to be flavoured - it's at least 3 kg of meat and veggies, probably closer to 4 kg. With this spicing I've learned to LOVE roast again (one of the few things that my mom cooks that I hate - she NEVER spices it enough so you get a very boring, bland tasting meat).

And if you can, get yourself some of the Mrs Dash spice mixes - I absolutely love them and the Chipotle is one of the greatest spice mixes for beef that I've ever had. I use it in a lot of my experiments and always get good results and reviews.

I'll think on a few more successes and post later.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Most Popular This Week