Retro Gaming Club: Beyond Good & Evil
  • Alrighty, we have another game on the list for the Retro Gaming Club. This week's title is another overlooked title which should've been more successful than it was. Developed by Michel Ancel of Rayman fame, BG&E was released on Gamecube, Xbox, PS2, and PC, so it should be relatively easy to get.

If you want to support the developers and make sure the money goes into their hands (instead of buying a used copy somewhere), then it's likely that this method will actually give a cut to the makers:

http://www.direct2drive.com/18/product/Buy-Beyond-Good-and-Evil-Download

$20 on PC only, but for the cheap guys out there you can definitely get this as a $5-$10 used title in a _lot_ of places.

Go grab this gem of a title and post your impressions here! General details:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beyond_Good_&_Evil_(video_game)
  • i just bought it for $15 nz wich is like $7us give or take
  • Augh this is one of my favorite games of all time.

Now I have the difficult position of whether I finish Psychonauts or start playing BG&E. I need more free time dammit!
  • neomaster said:
    i just bought it for $15 nz wich is like $7us give or take

Damn where'd you get it?

I want to try and get into the retro gaming this time around :(.
  • it says is only avaiable in north amerika
  • You guys should try looking at either used game shops, or ebay.

Also, Amazon has it really cheap, and they ship international. So you guys can definitely get it there.
  • I don't think I'll replay this one now, since I just did a few months ago. It's an excellent game, and anybody who hasn't played BG&E absolutely should.

Heck, on Amazon you can order it new for $15, used even less.
  • Is it better than psychonauts? Yes/No?

I think I'll give this one a miss. I want to finish psychonauts first before I go whore another game.
  • hey guys, im looking for a lil advice before i head out.. i missed the psychonauts gaming because my comp was too messed and ive been to busy/lazy to fix it up... so i am on my way out to trade in a few old games and i was wondering what should i buy.. psychonauts OR beyond good and evil..
    like what are some advantages of one over the other??

thx guys
  • db84 said:
    hey guys, im looking for a lil advice before i head out.. i missed the psychonauts gaming because my comp was too messed and ive been to busy/lazy to fix it up... so i am on my way out to trade in a few old games and i was wondering what should i buy.. psychonauts OR beyond good and evil..
    like what are some advantages of one over the other??

thx guys

I'd recommend Beyond Good and Evil just because it's this week's retro game, so you could play through it with the rest of us and talk about it.
  • tobin said:
    I'd recommend Beyond Good and Evil just because it's this week's retro game, so you could play through it with the rest of us and talk about it.

well i didnt find psychonauts anyways.. but i did find robotech battlecry ... ive been looking for it forever, it was a really fun game.. i liked the show as well..

im playing beyond good and evil as i type ..
  • I started playing tonight. It's past 4am and I'm dead tired, but I can't stop playing!

I got the first 7 pearls, and I'm now an official agent of IRIS, I'm off to investigate the missing citizenry!

God damn I can't believe how good this game is. It might be the best platformer ever made.
  • tobin said:
    I started playing tonight. It's past 4am and I'm dead tired, but I can't stop playing!

I got the first 7 pearls, and I'm now an official agent of IRIS, I'm off to investigate the missing citizenry!

God damn I can't believe how good this game is. It might be the best platformer ever made.

another insomniac like myself... this game took me to 4 am as well.... too bad our time zones weren't the same... i missed the 3rd pearl and the 6th... i have like 10 and also just became an agent of IRIS...

this game is a lot of fun!! this is my first time going through the game so im pretty excited to see it as i progress
  • Gah, I was stuck working on the video for the episode and the wiki all night last night, and no time for BG&E. I will be rectifying that tonight!
  • Hell yes! I went out and found it for $8. I started about 2 hrs ago. Not too far yet, I like exploring too much. So far I like it.
  • Wow, another good night of gaming. I made it through the factory, and I've collected about 18 pearls.

I love all the puzzle levels where you have to get around the soldiers. Sometimes I just give up and whoop their monkey asses instead of sneaking.
  • I played BG&E a few months ago, it's a really great game. The cut scenes, voice acting, and gameplay are all top notch.

If there is one criticism I have of the game it's that it's too short. 10-15 hours for a first play through. Psychonauts was a longer game, but I enjoyed both for their strange art styles and quirky humor.

Looking foward to your review of the game. Thanks
  • the only criticism i have with this game.. is it seems a bit repetitive. i am tired of sneaking. although my progress shows my interest.. i have just gotten the baloga up and running.. btw how do i get back into it?? i havent played it since
  • Man, I was all excited about playing the PC version of BG&E with my new Xbox wireless remote that allows me to play using the 360 controller.. but the damn PC version doesn't support gamepads! WTF is up with that?

Did the xbox version instead.. I'm digging it so far -- taking pictures is pretty fun. In the ancient mines right now, about half way through.

I can totally see why Tobin loves this game. If it involves collecting shit, then Tobin will LOVE it.

Yw - wonder when they'll make a collecting based RTS..
  • NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO my ps2 wont play it GODDAMN IT
  • yuzo said:
    Man, I was all excited about playing the PC version of BG&E with my new Xbox wireless remote that allows me to play using the 360 controller.. but the damn PC version doesn't support gamepads! WTF is up with that?

Did the xbox version instead.. I'm digging it so far -- taking pictures is pretty fun. In the ancient mines right now, about half way through.

I can totally see why Tobin loves this game. If it involves collecting shit, then Tobin will LOVE it.

Yw - wonder when they'll make a collecting based RTS..

The only games that work with the Xbox controller on the PC, are games with the Games For Windows logo on it
  • neomaster said:
    NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO my ps2 wont play it GODDAMN IT

Huh? Wikipedia says the PS2 will play the game fine..

tuner89 said:
    The only games that work with the Xbox controller on the PC, are games with the Games For Windows logo on it

You sure about that? The xbox controller looks like any other controller according to the Windows control panel. It just has a few more buttons. I'm guessing any other PC game that supports actual joysticks will work ok with the 360 controller, just haven't had the reason to try any others yet. BG&E itself doesn't support joysticks at all, which is the primary problem. I mean, I can use some of the joystick mappers to map various keys to the gamepad to get it to sort-of work, but the camera control still won't work which pretty much a game wrecker.

Do you mean full support including the middle guide button? Cause that I can believe.

Yw
  • The 360 controller is just like any other controller. If a game doesn't have support for joypads or only a little bit, what you do is map out the controller accordingly. Like x button = the letter a key. There loads of these programs out there. I used joy to key for a while. Its good, simple and targets a specific program.
  • yuzo said:

[quote=tuner89]The only games that work with the Xbox controller on the PC, are games with the Games For Windows logo on it

You sure about that? The xbox controller looks like any other controller according to the Windows control panel. It just has a few more buttons. I'm guessing any other PC game that supports actual joysticks will work ok with the 360 controller, just haven't had the reason to try any others yet. BG&E itself doesn't support joysticks at all, which is the primary problem. I mean, I can use some of the joystick mappers to map various keys to the gamepad to get it to sort-of work, but the camera control still won't work which pretty much a game wrecker.

Do you mean full support including the middle guide button? Cause that I can believe.

Yw[/quote]

Well, I know for a fact that every Games for Windows game MUST Ship with full X360 controller support. This lead me to believe that no other game supported it at all. I may be wrong though. Personally, I will never get the controller anyways though. If I want to play it with the xbox controller, I'll go get an xbox 360, most of the new PC Games are coming out on xbox 360 now any ways, its not like I am getting a new experience... any ways, I could never live without a keyboard though, I'd much rather press v to cast a spell then go into a menu and select the spell while I get my ass pwnt...
  • yuzo said:
    [quote=neomaster]NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO my ps2 wont play it GODDAMN IT

Huh? Wikipedia says the PS2 will play the game fine..

tuner89 said:

Yw[/quote]

no i meen that MY ps2 wont play it and i just got it today
  • neomaster said:

no i meen that MY ps2 wont play it and i just got it today

JESUS return it I have it for my ps2 and i love it im on the moon now ( this is probly the 4th time ive ever played it ) this game is great
    except for the meat packing plant i hated that level

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Most Popular This Week