Noobtoob Modcast Episode 050 - End of the Year Awards
  • Another amazing listen, gentlemen. You are worthy of all the awards you're sure to get in the UGC award show. I will hopefully be blessed to spend more time with you all in 2009.

Late to the Party Award: God of War. I just got a PS2 for my birthday (Dec 28th), so I technically only had three days with it. But it is AMAZING... fun, easy to pick-up-and-play but difficult to master, with an interesting story--I love it. Can't say enough good things about it. It takes a special game to still be worthy to play almost four years after its release.

Single Serving Award: Battlefield: Bad Company. I'm speaking specifically about the single-player experience, since I don't see myself playing the multiplayer in this game, unless there are more noobtoobers playing somewhere. I had a lot of fun playing through this game... but since the campaign isn't co-operative, I don't see myself ever playing it again. If it could be cooperative, I would have put this game over Mercinaries as far as cooperative experience, because I think it would be even MORE tactical and interesting than Mercs 2. But it's not... and there's very little for me to come back to.

Cutest Game Award: Culdsept Saga. Some of these cards are down-right adorable. Like my Powder Eater card. So cute.

Shit Your Pants Award: Hate to say this, but I'm not scared by most games, not even by Dead Space. But I am tense playing it. I'm very tense playing it, and can only play one Chapter at a time. It's the game that comes closest to 'scaring me' but someone said that in Dead Space you're too capable and I agree. In a few hours of gameplay I've gone from freaking out whenever something comes at me, to busting welding-tool caps in asses.

Best Thinking Game: Far Cry 2. I put this at the top of my list because it's the only (well, maybe Fallout) game I played this year that forced me to think differently about how I play. A stealth-action, first-person shooter that's good at both the stealth and the shooting is difficult enough, but it's one of the few games where I feel like I have to actually outsmart the AI. I can't think of another game I played this year (or for a while) where I actually went to a safe house to make sure I slept for a while just to make sure it was night-time before I started a mission. I'm harder to see at night!

Best Game You Didn't Play: Resistance 2. Now I did play multiplayer at PAX and, surprisingly, cleaned-house... but from all accounts this sounds like the kind of game I would absolutely love: a wonderful single-player campaign, with a multiplayer that emphasizes team-work and helping your teammates.

Fan Service Award: Lego Batman. I went off the beaten-path for this award, but hear me out--fans of the Lego games love this; fans of Batman can't hate this... it is the perfect marriage between Legos and the old Adam West-era Batman. It's cute, easy to play, quirky, and deep enough to reward the gamer with at least 20 hours of wonderfully fun gameplay as both the Batman heroes and villains.

Game that Caused the Most Arguments: Gears 2 Multiplayer. Personally, nothing has brought friends closer to being enemies than this game.

Most Difficult Game: Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo. Fuck you Locke. Fuck you Sunflower. Fuck you Veri7as, Kaidfather, Chip, etc etc etc. Fuck this game. Fuck everything that's ever happened.
    Holy shit is this game fun, though.

What the Fuck is This Shit Award: Left 4 Dead. I specifically refer to the Versus mode here, but for the most part this game pisses me off to no end. There are flat out unfair portions to the Versus mode... hacks, exploits, and that's not to mention the AI director giving teams multiple tanks or witches as the infected, when my team doesn't get any of that shit. Or how about multiple headshots to a hunter who doesn't die and then proceeds to jump on my head (Locke). Fuck this bullshit. There is no game that I own that I want to break more than this one. Fuck Left 4 Dead. No wonder I set everyone on fire.

Worst Timing Award: Far Cry 2. Easily. Had it been released in the summer, people would say this is a game of the year candidate. People would have been making tons of multiplayer maps and playing through single player campaign multiple times... but we've got none of that. I hope there is a large portion of people who pick this up and start making great multiplayer levels. Great game.

Staying Power Award: Since Locke said R6V2, I'll say Gears of War 2. With multiplayer and Horde mode, I'll be playing Gears 2 probably until Gears 3 comes out. Horde mode itself, much like Terrorist Hunt, is something I can and will always go back to.

Broken Toy Award: Culdsept Saga. I'm going out on a limb here with this one... but I can see how close this game is to a game I would be playing FOREVER. Give me the ability to trade cards, an AI that doesn't cheat, and if you don't drop my friends half-way through an online game, than this is THE ONE for me! Give me some slight changes, and Culdsept becomes a game I could play until my 360 dies forever.

Guilty Pleasure Award: Madden '09. I love the NFL. I love football. I don't like how sports games are viewed by the gaming community... but I also don't like EA rehashing the same games over and over every year--sometimes with nothing more than a roster update. But '09 gave me a few new things, put White Jesus on the front, and I had to buy it. Since I've become so involved with Noobtoob, playing and enjoying any sports game makes me feel guilty.

Best Character Award: Me in Saints Row 2. Not only is my British accent hilarious, but my mustache is also hilarious. In this game, I'm fucking hilarious. And I'm a complete badass. Those are two things I'm always looking for in a game... and Saints Row 2 gives me both.
    Honorable Mention goes to Isaac from Dead Space. He's way cooler than Marcus Fenix. In your face, Sunny.

Biggest Disappointment: Star Wars: The Force Unleashed. I think what makes this so disappointing is that the gameplay itself is fun. Using force powers? Fun. Exploring the environments in this game? Fun. Playing around with different costumes and lightsaber colors? Fun. Single player campaign? Short... not so fun. If they took the gameplay and put it in a good game, this would be one of my favorite games of the year. But, alas, what we got was short and stupid. Like Tara Reid.

Biggest Surprise: Rainbow Six Vegas 2. Absolutely amazing game. Co-op campaign I love. Terrorist Hunt I love. Even the single-player campaign I like. Customizing my Hulk Hogan character I love. I think it's safe to say I love this game. Perhaps I should have known how good this series is, but I didn't until this year. And Vegas 2 is incredible!
    Honorable mention: Saints Row 2. I don't generally like sandbox games, and was 'done' with them after GTA:IV disappointed... but after hearing so many good things about this game I gave it a shot and decided, a couple days after renting it, that I needed to own it. It brings the fun to sandbox/open world games... and it brings it over and over again. Can't wait to put more time into this game and eventually finish it.

Biggest Wow Moment: Fallout 3. First time I was attacked by a Super Mutant, I turned on VATS... I noticed he had a grenade on his belt, so instead of aiming for his head, I aimed for the grenade. One shot and the grenade exploded, blowing the Super Mutant into bits in slow motion. I had to pause the game because I almost dropped the controller. "Holy shit!" I exclaimed. "I can do ANYTHING in this game."

Best Adversarial Multiplayer: Gears 2. Some of my favorite gaming moments this year come from late-night sessions with 10 noobtoobers all crammed into one party, playing wingman, warzone, or Ol' Man Withers! I also think it helps that I'm above average at this game, as it's not as much of a controller-thrower as other adversarial games. I'm looking at you, SSF2 and L4D.

Best Cooperative Multiplayer: (In an effort to be different) Marvel Ultimate Alliance. Some of my OTHER favorite gaming moments this year came from dozens of hours (eariler in the year) destroying bosses and pulling off combos! Mask of Pounce? Doesn't get much better than that. This game is pure joy... except for all the technical problems we had, which damn-near crippled the game.

Best Soundtrack: Castle Crashers. It's amazing. Catchy. Wonderful. The only soundtrack this year that I would actually listen to while not playing the game. Sunny's right.
    Honorable Mention: Left 4 Dead--Unlike Sunflower, I really LOVE the sound ques for all the different events in this game. I like the different sounds made by the infected... they're all distinct and I'll be able to recognize any of those sounds for a long time.

Best Graphics: A toss up between Dead Space and Grand Theft Auto 4. GTA:IV put so much into the environment with excruciating attention to details--say what you will about the grittiness, but I can think of few games which have made me feel the amazing sense of polish put into the game than GTA:IV.
    And Dead Space, in my opinion, was the greatest immersive experience of the year. And both the graphics and the sound had a lot to do with that. No HUD, etc etc... this game is as amazingly beautiful as it is grotesque.

Worst Game of 2008: Too Human. Story? Awful. Gameplay? Awful. Environments? Awful. Just an awful, awful game. Awful.

Best Downloadable Game: While SSF2 gets an honorable mention, if I were to only be able to buy one, I would want it to be Geometry Wars 2. An incredible game which is actually multiple games... leaderboards, cool graphics and music, definately worth the purchase for anyone.

Best Handheld Game: While I don't have a handheld, my ex did... and Professor Layton was the best game I played this year. Tons of fun... and had a group of four adults with college degrees all talking puzzles and strategy together. An amazing game. It gets the hp kisses.

Best Wii Game: Um... Wii fit? Next!

Best PS3 Game: Um... Next!

Best PC Game: Um... Next!

Best 360 Game: Gears of War 2. This is the only thing I need to say--only one game this year I stayed up until 4 AM playing when I needed to work the next morning. This game is amazing.

Top 3 Games of the Year:
    3. Fallout 3
    2. Dead Space
    1. Gears of War 2
    Amazingly, I haven't finished Fallout or Dead Space. But I've ALREADY had SUCH a good time with both of them. Fallout I'm only about 10 hours in... but I can tell (and I told Locke right after I played it for the first time) that this is the kind of game I can put 80-100 hours in. An amazingly deep environment which is interesting and beautiful. Can't wait to sink scores of hours into this one.
    Dead Space, similarly, is the game (even more than Gears) that has brought out the most emotion in me. If a game can make me so tense and anxious that I have to limit how much I play it... that's a good game.

Predictions Sure to Go Wrong for 2009: Whether it's good or not, my "Best Game of '09" will be Resident Evil 5. RE4 is my favorite game of all time... and if RE5 is more of the same, I can't see ANYTHING beating it. I'm a horrible fanboy.
  • hp1703 said:
    Cutest Game Award: Culdsept Saga. Some of these cards are down-right adorable. Like my Powder Eater card. So cute.

I agree. There's a lot of cute in Culdcept Saga. However, an equal amount of horrifying!

hp1703 said:
    Fan Service Award: Lego Batman. I went off the beaten-path for this award, but hear me out--fans of the Lego games love this; fans of Batman can't hate this... it is the perfect marriage between Legos and the old Adam West-era Batman. It's cute, easy to play, quirky, and deep enough to reward the gamer with at least 20 hours of wonderfully fun gameplay as both the Batman heroes and villains.

By saying "Adam West-era Batman" you have managed to get this into my Gamefly queue. He's easily the best Batman of all time, and I love the old shows dearly.

hp1703 said:
    What the Fuck is This Shit Award: Left 4 Dead. I specifically refer to the Versus mode here, but for the most part this game pisses me off to no end. There are flat out unfair portions to the Versus mode... hacks, exploits, and that's not to mention the AI director giving teams multiple tanks or witches as the infected, when my team doesn't get any of that shit. Or how about multiple headshots to a hunter who doesn't die and then proceeds to jump on my head (Locke). Fuck this bullshit. There is no game that I own that I want to break more than this one. Fuck Left 4 Dead. No wonder I set everyone on fire.

I had no idea you hated this game so much. I want to play more with you.

hp1703 said:
    Best Character Award: Me in Saints Row 2. Not only is my British accent hilarious, but my mustache is also hilarious. In this game, I'm fucking hilarious. And I'm a complete badass. Those are two things I'm always looking for in a game... and Saints Row 2 gives me both.
    Honorable Mention goes to Isaac from Dead Space. He's way cooler than Marcus Fenix. In your face, Sunny.

So a man who does nothing but breathe heavily and yell is better than Marcus Fenix, who has better one-liners than Duke Nukem? Right, I buy that. You're smoking crack.

Thanks for the comments though, not just HP but everyone - I love hearing what you thought of the categories and how we decided, plus your own choices!
  • Wooohooo! What a great year 2008 was for gaming and having the Modcast to enjoy during it was the best. Thanks again to all three of you for creating such a great podcast. Anytime I have a question about a game, it is you guys I turn to. I can't wait to hear more from you in 2009.

Late to the Party Comments
    Jam: Uncharted --- If I ever pick up a PS3 (which is doubtful), this is the first game I'll be picking up.

Single Serving Comments
    Sunflower: Lost: Via Domus --- Oh very good pick. You are right that this is a game for Lost fans, but they added absolutely no reason to come back to this game. The whole point of playing it in the first place is to unlock any secrets about the island. Once you've done that, you can get back to simply watching the show.
    Locke: Assassin's Creed --- Another fine pick even if it is from 2007. I often think Tobin and Yuzo's harsh review of this game has stopped people from giving it a try and forming their own opinions. For some people, this is a wonderful game and one you want to experience all of, but just once for the most part.

Cutest Game Comments
    I'm really surprise Trouble in Paradise didn't show up here at all, but then again only Sunflower has played it. Even though I haven't play any of these three picks, each of them look so cute in the trailers.

Shit Your Pants Comments
    Three games I will never play. Too scary for me.

Thinking Game Comments
    Sunflower: Culdcept Saga --- I figured this would be someone's pick, but never had I thought about it in terms of the mind games you try to play on your competitors. You are right, that adds a whole other level to strategy.

Best Game You Didn't Play Comments
    Sunflower: Street Fighter 4 --- Soon Sunflower...soon. Then we'll be hearing about its greatness for the next several months I'm sure.
    Locke: Viva Pinata: Trouble in Paradise --- I hate to say it but...Forget about Viva Pinata 1 and just move on to Trouble in Paradise. Its so much better. The interface is better. You have more pinatas. There is co-op. General gameplay doesn't change so unless you really, really, I mean really love the game or want an easy 2,000 points most people can just get by with playing Trouble in Paradise.
    Jam: Culdcept Saga --- Once it comes out on DS, you can experience Culdcept first hand.

Fan Service Comments
    Sunflower: Sega Superstars Tennis --- Nice to see this game show up somewhere. I can see how if you are a Sega fan that this came would be great for you. I love that each area of the game was related to a specific Sega game. And yeah its a good tennis game on top of that.

Most Difficult Comments
    Sunflower: Viva Pinata: Trouble in Paradise --- What? LOL This was the absolute best part of the show for me. Having hopped into your garden this week though I can see how you'd find it hard. One's garden can easily get out of hand quickly if you try to do everything at once. Its all about taking your time, prioritizing and keeping it simple.

What the Fuck is this Shit Comments
    Sunflower: Grand Theft Auto IV --- Thief! You took my answer, but really what the fuck was that shit?

Worst Timing Comments
    All three games I hope people can get a chance to pick up during Q1 of 2009. Too good to have been lost in the holiday gaming rush.

Staying Power Comments
    Sunflower: Geometry Wars 2 --- Yay! I was right. I thought you'd pick this and you did. I've never played this series since I can't even beat the 5 minute demo, but I can see how the leaderboard feature would be like crack for those that are good at this game.

Broken Toy Comments
    Locke: Fable 2 Co-op --- Oh fine pick! I agree. Either make a true co-op experience or not even bother with it. It's a very weak co-op experience and comes off feeling lazy and slapped on at the end.

Best Character Comments
    Sunflower: Marcus Phoenix --- No surprise here.
    Locke: The Hammer --- I thought about picking Hammer myself before going with my dog from Fable II. She really is an interesting character and so different from the typical females found in games.

Wii Game of the Year Comments
    Wow everyone for SSBB? I'm really surprised by this as I thought maybe Wii Fit or No More Heroes might make it in since they are new or different from what Nintendo usually puts out.

Top 3 Games of the Year Comments
    #3 Picks
    Sunflower: Fable II --- Really? This shocks me more than any of your other picks. As much as I love Fable, Fable II just came off as lacking to me. Its a mediocre game. I didn't have the same experience some of you have had where the world felt alive and you were making a difference. :(
    Locke: Saint's Row 2 --- Hehe. I had this picked for you, but I threw it out because I really thought you'd try and seek Culdcept into your list. I'm still hoping to pick this game up in the next few months because it sounds like everything GTA4 was suppose to be.
    Jam: Left 4 Dead --- Very deserving Top 3 pick. I'm surprised it didn't show up on other's lists.

#2 Picks
    Sunflower: Gears of War 2 --- Not surprised at all. I thought you might put this as #2 just for the fact so many of us would be gunning for it to be your #1. Great game!
    Locke: Dead Space --- Why does it have to be scary? :(
    Jam: Burnout Paradise --- I think we all knew this would be on your list. I'm just surprised its #2.

#1 Picks
    Sunflower: Fallout 3 --- Wooohooo! One of my own top 3 games on 2008. I love that it didn't make any of your top console picks, but its your GOTY. It might not be the best game on any given system, but no matter which one you do play it on...you'll be amazed. I didn't include it in your own list because the Modcast has been someone silent on the game as not to ruin it for Jam and Locke that I forgot all about it. I can't wait for the DLC to come out so I can hop back in this world and give it another go.
    Locke: Gears of War 2 --- Yep, very deserving. Nothing wrong at all with this game and I just hope the NoobToob Army continues to play this game.
    Jam: Gears of War 2 --- For whatever reason, I absolutely forgot you had this game. I've even played with you!
  • Oh my god these are making my heart feel tingly. Amazing answers from everyone and I'm so glad you are enjoying the show. Thanks for being such awesome listeners - I know that there were some surprises in this show but we had to keep you on your toes somehow.

Culdcept was sadly not on my list, but that is because it has a special place in my heart forever. Hp nailed it when he said that if this game had trading we could probably play it forever.
  • A bit late, I know, but I thought I would to share my nominations.

Single-Serving Award – GTA IV
    Despite the flak it received, I really enjoyed this game. Some didn't like the serious tone, but I thought it felt so realistic. However, I will admit it doesn't have the staying power I thought it would. I haven't touched the game in months, which is a real shame because I think they wasted some of its potential.

Late to the Party Award - Uncharted
    Like Jam, I got around to playing this well after its release. I finished it only a few days ago, and it's by far the best game for the PS3. Fantastic combat system, which was so reminiscent of Gears, made for exciting fights. The platforming, although a bit too easy, was still challenging enough to keep me playing. Just a joy to play.

Best Character Award - Augustus Cole. Better known as the "Cole Train."
    "No one can stop the Cole Train!" What can I say about this guy? His rant in Gears 2 over the tannoy system has to go down as one of the best pieces of dialogue. Forget Marcus, Sunflower! Cole is the bad ass in Gears.

Fan Service Award – Metal Gear Solid 4
    The length of the cutscenes is testament to this. This game was heavily story based to ensure the fans were left feeling happy. If you're not a huge fan of the story, like me, then you're not going to enjoy the game as much. I'm playing for the gameplay. The story is a nice touch, but I'm not that fussed.

Best Graphics Award - Gears of War 2
    The increase in scale was just amazing. The game looked beautiful, and really pushed the power of the 360 to its limits. They managed to brighten up Gears 2, when compared to the original, which cheated a bit by using dark textures, which looked more pretty.

Most Difficult Game Award – Dead Space
    Probably a surprise to most, but all will become clear. I only rented this game and from early on I knew I would be buying it. So, when I got stuck on Chapter 6 (I think), I decided not to waste time trying to beat it because I knew I would buy it at some point. As for the section I'm stuck at itself, it's a bitch. I have no ammo left and there is a room full of enemies, with no where to hide. So difficult, and I must have tried that section about 10 times. I shall return to it, once I buy the game.

Best Game I Didn't Play Award - Valkyria Chronicles
    The Modcast does a great job at pimping great games, not on the radar for most people, whether it's Company of Heroes, Shadowrun, etc. This award would have gone to Company of Heroes, but I'm glad to say I own the game, so I've given it to Valkyria Chronicles. It's been discussed on the Modcast, and in the IRC quite a bit, and I'm eager to try out this game. The demo has only made me more eager to play the full game, and I'll almost certainly will be picking it up soon.

Best Wow Moment Award – Fallout 3
    Leaving the vault. Discussed in the episode, so I won't elaborate too much, but seeing this view of a destroyed United States gave you a great sense of scale and destruction.

Worst Timing Award – Far Cry 2
    Purely for the loss of sales, I'm giving this to Far Cry 2. I really think it would have sold more, if they moved its release to a less congested time. I probably would have given this game more time, if I had less games to play because I didn't enjoy this game. But who knows, if I had more time to play it, my opinion may have been different.

What the Fuck Is This Shit Award - Fallout 3
    God damn, this game is annoying the hell out of me. I'm getting absolutely annihilated in combat, and there seems to a lack of health to find. I'm really enjoying the world that Fallout 3 has to offer, but my lack of progress, and constant deaths have put me off from playing this. I really suck at this game.

Broken Toy Award – Company of Heroes
    I have no other connection issues in other games, except this one. Apparently, the router I use isn't very compatible with the game. I cry every night, knowing I can't take on Locke's airborne assault, or Sunflower's tank rush.

Guilty Pleasure Award – Democracy
    Yeah, it's called Democracy. *Insert laughter here.* I picked it up about a month back, and basically you're a leader of a country, and you can introduce, or change legislation. I can't help it. I like games that let you run countries in this way.

Games of the Year
    3. GTA IV – I don't care what people say, I enjoyed my playthrough of this game. It improved on so much on the previous GTA titles.
    2. Dead Space – I'm only halfway through this game, but this scared the shit out of me. It was impossible to play this game in long stretches, as I needed time to recover. I will defiantly go back and finish it.
    1. Uncharted – Not sure what the rules are on Game of the Year, but seen as I only finished this a few days ago, I'm choosing this. A wonderful game, with a great mix of combat and platforming. Everything about it was top notch. I enjoyed every minute of this game.
  • You guys should have like a HOLY SHIT!!! or OH FUCK!!! Award- The scariest moment or the moment that made you really nervous or your just like what should i do.

My winner for that would be left 4 dead when i tank is coming after me and he downs me then a boomer threw up on me and the horde attacked i was like holy shit HELP!!!!!
  • Another tip-top episode gents, these really help get me through some long days in the office. Anyhoo, late to the party again but I thought I'd add in my nominations - my list is a little hokey as I've only played about 4 games this year and they were mostly old ones, but what the hell.

Single-Serving Award: Final Fantasy IX, I loved the whole experience and would love to pick up a copy of the OST to relive some of the atmosphere and memories, but I can't ever see myself going back to this one.

Late to the Party Award: Left4Dead is the only game I've bought this year that came out in '08 so pretty much all of 'em. However, I think the game that I'm most glad to have played is Halo 2, I haven't got the space to go into it here, but I just enjoyed playing through the story of 2 more than I did Halo: CE (as awesome as that was as well).

Best Soundtrack Award: Three nominations here - Halo 3 (listening to the soundtrack as I type, can hear Cortana saying 'don't make a girl a promise if you can't keep it' in my head), Final Fantasy 12 (soooo many themes for each location, each distinctive - the second you hear one, you know exactly where it was from) and Final Fantasy 9 (come on. Nobuo Uematsu? The man can do no wrong)

Best Character Award: Balthier, the slick sky-pirate from FF12. He's smooth, he has a decent back story and he's boffing a 6ft playboy bunny in bondage gear with a bow. What's not to respect and admire? Probably helped that he was very well voice acted and he was alongside the Final Fantasy series most anodyne main character, Vaan.

Best Graphics Award: I'm still getting used to next-gen gaming, so all of my 360 games have blown me away. I have a surprise nomination in the shape of Left 4 Dead. The look of the whole game is so carefully sculpted to create a believable atmosphere of a ruined society. I've been through some pretty depressing american airports in my time, so the look of the wrecked one in the game is superbly realised.

Best Buddy Award: No suprises here, Left4Dead. No other game has ever provided me with so many war stories from every single play-through. And having been smoker'd off the gangplank to the boat at the end of Death Toll, I feel Jam's pain.

Best Game We Didn't Play Award: Where do I start? All of 'em basically, there's been some great-sounding games come out this year: Fable 2, Fallout 3, Far Cry 2, Gears 2, Braid, Geometry Wars 2, the list goes on...

Most Difficult Game Award: Shiren the Wanderer on the DS. Good lord that game is brutal.

What the Fuck Is This Shit Award: See above, except the most annoying instance of random death occurred when I was on my DS in bed so I couldn't swear and scream because if would've woken Mrs Little g.

Staying Power Award: Gran Turismo 4, I've played the shit out of that game almost constantly since its release. I miss that little fella now I've moved on from the PS2.

So that's me, thanks again for an entertaining listen - here's to another great year of Modcasts!
  • Littleg said:
    Most Difficult Game Award: Shiren the Wanderer on the DS. Good lord that game is brutal.

I've been interested in this game for a while. Is it still good? I heard it's a dungeon crawler.

Littleg said:
    Staying Power Award: Gran Turismo 4, I've played the shit out of that game almost constantly since its release. I miss that little fella now I've moved on from the PS2.

You may want to check out Forza Motorsport 2 on 360. Wait, shit, you already did. How's it treating you?
  • This was the first ModCast I watched - and I just wanted to say great job. Loved the categories, discussion, and of course we can't forget that charming brit. ;)
  • Well finally got around to writing a response to this episode. Here are my thoughts for the awards show. Here’s to another 50 episodes.

Late to the party awards
    Sunflower-Company of Heroes- Same as me, thanks to your recommendation, I’ve had a great time with it.
    Locke-Shadowrun-Another game that I got from your recommendation, always a great game to play. I’m still waiting for the next Shadowrun event.
    Jam-Uncharted-I don’t have a PS3 to try this game, but if I do get one, I will buy this game.

Single Serving Awards
    Locke-Assassin’s Creed- If I ever really get bored with the games that I got and I see it at Blockbuster I may rent it.
    Sunflower-Lost: Via Domus- I really never got into the show too much, but I can see how this game would be good one time through for people who like the show.
    Jam-Metal Gear Solid 4-Hearing about this game seems to be a game you would play only once maybe every few years.

Cutest Game
    Sunflower-Animal Crossing-I guess they do look cute.
    Locke-Patapon-They also look cute.
    Jam-Little Big Planet- Like I said before they do look cute.

Shit your pants award
    Jam-Condemned CO-This game looks freaky as hell.
    Locke-Deadspace-This game really does look scare as hell no matter what Sunflower says.

Thinking game
    Sunflower-Culdcept Saga- I so agree with this game, it really makes me think on should I fight or pay the toll. I still need to play with other people so I can see how I stand up.
    Locke-Echo chrome-I don’t think I’ve heard of this game before, but sounds interesting
    Jam-Braid- This game makes my brain hurt.

Best Game you did not play
    Sunflower-Street Fighter 4-I can’t wait for this to come out, hope it’s still as good as Street Fighter 2
    Locke-Viva Piñata 2- I tried the demo, but it’s not my thing.
    Jam-Culdcept Saga- It really sucks that you can’t play this, I’m sorry.

Fan Service
    Locke-Brawl-The game was great when I played it before I sold my Wii.
    Jam-Mega Man 9-This game is fucking hard.
    Sunflower-Sega SS Tennis- I don’t think I would have thought of that.

Most Arguments
    Spore-I don’t really see why people hate this game so much, I had a lot of fun playing it.
    Mirrors Edge art style-I liked the art style nothing bad about it to me.

Most Difficult
    Locke-L4D Expert-Very true, like Quahgg said, it’s a friend killer, especially one expert where one shot from a shot gun can kill your teammate.
    Sunflower- Viva Piñata 2-Like I said early tried the demo and didn’t like it too much.
    Jam-Space Invaders Extreme-I need some more action for my DS; I should go give this game a try.

What the Fuck is this Shit
    Sunflower-GTA4-I played this game for maybe 30 minutes and I hated this game.
    Jam-Mirror Edge-Well I didn’t mind it too much when I played it. I never finished it, but it never really pissed me off.
    Locke-Street Fighter 2-Yeah I agree, especially when its a little kid yelling and talking shit and they beat you. Really makes me mad when that fucking happens.

Worst Timing
    Locke-Farcry2- I wish it came out this month because I would get it.
    Sunflower-Mirrors Edge-The game probably should have came out earlier.
    Jam-Resistance 2-Sony probably should have released it earlier before all of the other big titles.

Staying Power
    Sunflower-Geometry Wars 2- Another award we agree with. The leader boards make me just want to keep playing until I beat at least one persons score. I gave up on anyone beating my pacifism score, not even Vari7as could.
    Locke-Rainbow 6 Vegas 2-I played it with my friend once, it was fun, I should go pick up some time.
    Jam-Burnout Paradise-I had to rent this game (not enough money to buy it), but it’s just so enjoyable to just drive around for an hour.

Broken Toy
    Locke-Fable 2 Co-op- I never tried the co-op and I sold my game.
    Jam/Sunflower-I actually never played this with anybody either. Singular was actually fun.

Guilty Pleasure
    Jam-Marvel ultimate Alliance- I never played this game and I do think I will play it.
    Sunflower-Yugioh World championship 2008-Funny I been wanting to retry this for awhile, so I got from Gamefly. Going to remake my warrior deck and start kicking people ass online.
    Locke-Puzzle Quest-I’m don’t really care to much for this game or many puzzle in general.

Best Character-Marcus Phoenix-Marcus is pretty damn awesome; I always play as him online.
    Locke-The Hammer-She was pretty awesome.
    Jam-Nikko Belick- I didn’t play much of GTA4, so I can’t honestly say much about it.

Biggest Disappointment
    Jam-Spore-I still don’t see why people don’t like it, I enjoyed it.
    Sunflower-Little Big planet- I haven’t played it, but it looks like something I would not like.
    Locke-GTA4-I agree completely, I heard so much about this game, that I was great, but I played it and hated it.

Biggest pleasant Surprise
    Sunflower-COD: WaW- I never played COD: 3 so I don’t know why Trey arch did, but COD: WaW is very fun; the zombie mode is a great addition.
    Locke-Burnout Paradise-This game is just so much fun by you and with other people
    Jam-Mario Kart Wii-I played it for a few weeks before I sold my Wii, it was fun, but I like Mario Kart DS more.

WOW moment
    Locke-Destroyed world of Fallout 3-I agree seeing everything destroyed was amazing. Probably even more amazing is seeing landmarks in D.C. destroyed since I’ve been there before, it’s just amazing.
    Jam-MGS4- another PS3 game that I haven’t played.
    Sunflower-MGS4- Yet another PS3 game that I haven’t played.

Best multiplayer adversarial
    Sunflower-Street Fighter HD- I agree with that, it’s so much fun fighting friends and being able to get at least one win against you was nice. Also winning a tournament is very rewarding.
    Jam-Age of Booty- This game is very fun, I’ve been playing online for some of the achievements still; wish people stilled played it though.
    Locke-L4D- So much fun, especially killing the entire opposing team as a tank was really fun. Also accidentally burning my teammates makes me very sad.

Best Buddy
    Jam-L4D-Pretty obvious this game was made to play with friends
    Sunflower-Gears 2- Multiplayer is so much fun.
    Locke-Merc 2- The friend I planned on playing this with had to return it before I could play with him, but single player was still so fun, blowing shit up is always fun.

Best Soundtrack
    Locke-Mega man 9-To be honest when I play some games, I turn the volume down. Mostly because I don’t care too much for the music.
    Sunflower- Castle Crashers- Like I said, I just don’t really care for the music.
    Jam-Age of Conan- Don’t care for music in games.

Best Graphics
    Sunflower-MGS4-Even though I never played it, I does look very good.
    Locke-DMC4-To be honest I’ve never seen really anything about this game.
    Jam-Gears 2- Very awesome blood and guts graphics.

Worst Game
    Sunflower-Homey rollers- the title just screams bad game.
    Locke-Too Human- From what I’ve heard sound horrible so I won’t get it.
    Jam-Haze-I really haven’t cared for Haze what so ever.

Best DLC
    Locke-Age of Booty- Great game, so much fun, I’m glad I bought.
    Sunflower-Street Fighter-No surprise you picked this game, but I do agree it’s great.
    Jam-Braid-I bought it a few days ago and it’s really forcing me to think outside the box.

Handheld
    Jam-Space Invaders- I should try and get it whenever I have the money.
    Locke-FFCC-I honestly don’t like the Finale Fantasy franchise.
    Sunflower-The world ends with you-I probably won’t play this.

Wii
    Everyone-SSBB-the game was fun while it lasted, at least for me.

PS3
    Everyone-Valkyria Chronicles-Wasn’t a surprise you all picked this.

PC
    Sunflower-FarCry2-I still want this game, but on 360.
    Locke-Spore-Fun game, really enjoyable.
    Jam-L4D, I’m not sure if it’s really any different then on 360, but probably not, so I bet it’s still great on the PC.

Everyone-Gears 2-Great game, a must buy for anyone who has a 360.

Top 3 games
    Locke’s top 3
    3. Saints Row 2-Sounds like fun, more fun the GTA4
    2. Dead Space-To be honest I don’t care too much for horror games.
    1. Gears 2- I can respect this decision, just a great game.

Sunflower’s top 3
    3. Fable 2- was a fun, but I didn’t like it as much as other people did.
    2. Gears 2- I was surprised this wasn’t one for you, but 2 are respectable.
    1. Fallout 3-It’s a great game, so open so much fun. I’m still going through it.

Jam’s top 3
    3. Left 4 Dead-Great game, but not great enough to be number 1, but still an awesome game.
    2. Burnout Paradise- Another great game, so much fun.
    1. Gears 2- Like I said before, just an amazing game all around.
  • Sunflower4000 said:
    [quote=Littleg]Most Difficult Game Award: Shiren the Wanderer on the DS. Good lord that game is brutal.

I've been interested in this game for a while. Is it still good? I heard it's a dungeon crawler.[/quote]

Yes, and a particularly unforgiving one at that. Actually, it's the first Rogue-like I've ever played so that may be the norm for all I know. It works very well on DS and is easily pick-up-and-put-downable, so would probably do quite nicely for holidays and journeys, as long as you don't mind randomly swearing and blaspheming loudly on the train when you die inches from the exit to the next safe area. Again.

Sunflower4000 said:
    [quote=Littleg]Staying Power Award: Gran Turismo 4, I've played the shit out of that game almost constantly since its release. I miss that little fella now I've moved on from the PS2.

You may want to check out Forza Motorsport 2 on 360. Wait, shit, you already did. How's it treating you?[/quote]

In a word, amazing. Like Phaedrus at the end of Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintennance (oooh, get me and my fancy-pants literary references) I can feel an obsession building with this game, like the slow tightening of a screw in my brain. The controls, the graphics, the car choice, the online mode, the paint editor, the tracks - everything about it is exactly what I wanted from Gran Turismo 4 when I first heard about it (especially as it was initially promised that GT4 would provide on-line racing) but which that game failed to deliver.

But then all of that would be utterly wasted if, as a racing game, it got the physics and feel of the cars wrong, but even there Turn10 have got it absolutely spot-on. Take a moderately-tuned front wheel drive car around Maple Valley short, feel the back end start moving around in a controllable fashion through the big sweeping turns as the gradient changes. Bliss!

All it needs now is for Turn10 and Polyphony Digital to merge and bring out a game where I can race my A-class RWD Scion tC around Grand Valley Speedway or Special Stage R11 and I could die a happy man...
  • Well... Seems like i can't watch anymore of the modcast. This and the episodes above seems to have broken links :(
  • Weird timing on this - Jam, Locke and I are reuniting for shows each Sunday on the Games Only Podcast feed - which is where we've been podcasting since the end of the Modcast as well. Sub via itunes or look for direct downloads at http://gamesonly.libsyn.com - surprised to see this bump! It's very timely.
    Noobied by 28drawt innisjohnston
  • Holy crap, i have to start listening to the modcast! Just tried to watch IGN pspodcast, and was no mention of gaming for twenty minutes. Forget that crap.
  • Games Only was started as a direct reaction to those types of shows. Some people enjoy the other stuff, and that's fine, but if we're not digging deep into a game within a minute, we've failed!
  • Sweet, I didn't realize Games Only was still going, I thought I looked for it on iTunes once and couldn't find it. I was thinking about trying to get a gaming podcast up and running, but with work, school, and my youtube channel I don't have much free time.
  • Thanks for the link Sunflower! I'll give the early episodes a listen to. Also nice to see you'll be podcasting again with Locke and Jam soon. Do you have any ways or any plans to get the old modcast episodes back on the net?

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Most Popular This Week